Blizzard DOTA

I changed my mind on Mercy, now I want the medic sniper that has not yet actually been announced for Overwatch yet

So Gulā€™Dan is out and heā€™s pretty good except heā€™s also pretty boring. I should have known better when one of his basic abilities is a channel. He doesnā€™t really blow people up and he doesnā€™t have any movement options (except his hilarious 20). I think the compelling part is supposed to be mana and health management, but itā€™s basically thoughtless.
Fun ult tho

demonic circle seems incredible, but you have to not lose until lvl20 zzzzzzzzzz

that said, horrify is really disgustingly powerful

I downloaded this on a whim when I was tying my PSN to BNet for Overwatch preorder bonuses and itā€™s the first time a MOBA has made sense to me. The only problem is that I feel like Iā€™m ā€œmissingā€ a lot of the basic strategy that other players carried over from other MOBAs, and I feel like Iā€™m incapable of contributing to the team in quickmatch unless I just play Li Li all the time and just healbot the whole game.

Is there a ā€œbabbyā€™s first MOBAā€ guide somewhere that gives you ground rules for when to stick to a lane vs. grouping up with your team, or on how to play non-support heroes in a way that wonā€™t make everyone else on your matchmake team who inevitably have all played MOBAs cringe

a lot of it is just being aware of where everyone is on the map! the decisions should usually be made according to what gets you the most XP for your team afterward, but this gets less important the later in the game it goes. if the person in your lane goes missing and reappears in someone elseā€™s lane, youā€™ll have to make a decision to either run over and help that other person not get killed or stay in your lane and farm XP off of minions

the phases of the game roughly correspond to how ā€œcorrectā€ each decision of that nature is; usually in early game, giving one or two kills over for the sake of lane farm is a totally even trade that isnā€™t a big deal, especially if the other team had to bring someone away from a ā€œnormalā€ lane to do so. but as the death timers go up in mid game, youā€™ll generally want to start team fighting more, because a death on your team starts meaning more than just the literal amount of XP it gives to the opponents ā€“ it means time spent with that player respawning, which can give you disadvantages for farming or objectives or w/e.

different archetypes of heroes inform the way you should make the decision to group up or continue laning as well ā€“ if your hero is really good at farming then there are less situations in which it is worth it to leave your lane, and if your hero is bad at farming but good at dealing damage to heroes then the opposite is true generally.

but 90% of it is just making sure youā€™re checking the minimap so you even know whatā€™s happening! hopefully this helps

1 Like

Play with Elle and I and one if us can Choā€™gall for you! Itā€™s seriously the best way to learn the game. Also, we will probably be playing tonight because Saturday nights are about the only time I have for it that other people are around for.

Alternately you could just keep playing Li Li because sheā€™s one of the best characters to learn the game with since she scales so well with skill.

I canā€™t tonight but Iā€™m down for playing some other time! My Battletag is Sakurina#1712, so feel free to add me.

I played three games with Raynor earlier to get the daily 3 games quest done and I won all three, so now I feel like Iā€™ve accomplished something.

They announced Nexus Challenge at BlizzCon where you can unlock up to 5 heroes (Zarya, Kerrigan, Auriel, Greymane, Li-Ming) for free by playing 30+ matches duo queued between November 14 and January 4. http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20327397/team-up-to-conquer-the-nexus-challenge-11-4-2016

Iā€™m down for this.

1 Like

good time to start playing. the game has reached an amazing state recently. there are 2 or 3 heroes that are unbalanced (samuro is still silly after nerfs and needs more, but is banned first every draft so nbd), but for the most part the game has never been this intricate and cerebral

I still play this game too much probably

my new steez is chen itā€™s cool to have basically a permanent slow on someone as long as you stay alive

also holy crap zagara kills quick match??? you push SO WELL that no one can really deal with you and the changes to nydus network + creep basically means that if you have good creep spread you can push an entire fort + towers + walls solo

Theyā€™re testing the following things before the next season:

• Hero League will be solo queue only as they want it to represent your personal skill only
  • Team League will allow queuing as groups of 2, 3, or 5 (no 4 since there are no solos to fill the last slot), hopefully this will lead to higher TL engagement
  • In practice, duo queue players only had a 1% advantage over solo queue players in HL anyway
  • Silver and Diamond are overrepresented in the current spread of tiers so theyā€™re going to be spreading those out into gold and platinum respectively

Progression system is getting an upgrade:

• Account and hero levels will become uncapped
  • Account level will become the sum of hero levels
  • Hero level requirements will go down (presumably for HL/TL eligibility? Iā€™m not sure)
  • Rewards every time you gain a level, not just gold, but potentially also skins, mounts, or heroes

I have so many levels :o

Iā€™ve been enjoying Heroes Brawl as a means of trying new heroes out without needing to wait for them to be in the f2p rotation. This weekā€™s brawl (all random all mid) is particularly good since talents are enabled. The weekly 1000 gold for playing brawl three times is pretty welcome too; Iā€™ve been playing the brawl to warm up before playing other games.

Starting to get some confidence at playing this thing. I found Iā€™ve been doing better by playing a couple games versus AI to get a feel for the hero before going into QM. Birch, whatā€™s your Battletag?

Nexus challenge started yesterday, 30 games with friends to get it all: 5 free heroes and a Blizzard TF2 skin. Has to be done by January 4th.

If anyone wants to team up to get these done, I am on board for that.

1 Like

I have next week off and will probably be playing a lot of BDOTA so get at me! I will post my blizzard name thing when I get home and figure out what it is >_>

2 Likes

i play the game literally every single day. i have a new battletag, tho:

meauxdal #1132

1 Like

I have the same battletag as before but I understand if no one wants to scroll up. Also, itā€™s different than my username here so if you are getting out of nowhere friend requests, itā€™s me.

Miskatonik#1841

1 Like

Iā€™m Birch#112226 and I exclusively play Sunday afternoons lol

the game as of today is at a significant zenith. more heroes than ever, and yet also more balanced than ever, and as a result the potential synergies are just off the charts. best time to have this recent ā€œre-launchā€ type promotion theyā€™ve been running.