9. Sonic
  10. Splatoon

2017 games I still want to play:

• Night in the Woods
  • Yakuza
  • Nioh
  • Gorogoa
  • Divinity

I think as a whole Wolf and Zelda are better experiences, but I had my favorite moments of the year in PUBG. The two times I won I had to walk around and cool off from the anxiety and the adrenaline high. I can’t remember the last game that gave me that sort of physical response. I’ve only played it with buddy, though; I’d have to think it’s much less exciting by yourself.

I didn’t read the relevant threads, did you Nier fans talk about the possibility that the apparently unexpected and considerable success of the release meant not just the survival of Platinum but also significant interest by S-E in explanding/exploiting the property?

I might have misinterpreted the headlines of articles I didn’t actually read, and I guess there’s already been some cross-promotion content in mobile games. have no idea what it would even mean beyond that in latter-half 201X. We’re kind of past the age of spin-off prequels for handhelds.

the only games I played were umihara kawase and dark souls II so they win

Oh man, I forgot phonegames. I spent a good two months on that KoF clicker. Why did I do that?

Hmm

• Zelda: Ocarina of Climbing

• Like being transported Last Starfighter-style into the first Zelda. Has more joy in the simple act of playing than all other Zelda games combined.
  • Mr. Holland’s Opus Magnum

• Not entirely sure about this one being on the list because I haven’t finished it but dang I did love what I played. Mesmerizing and satisfying. Every solution I’ve made is my baby and I love it.
  • PUBG: Hell Is Other People

• I actually play this mostly solo and it’s real good that way too. I’ve only won once but I’ve never felt more accomplished in a video game before. Even losing is incredible. If I ever get a heart condition I will have to stop playing this game.
  • Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy (the thread title took my joke)

• If we’re judging games by how memorable they are, then this one is at the top. It has claimed a space in my brain undeserving of the 2 hours I have played it. It’s really incredible.
  • Gorogoa (I’m out of jokes)

• Like playing a storybook written by a sentient fractal. Like reading the mind of a dreaming dragon. I can only talk about this game in simile because it’s mostly indescribable. Wins the “Most gasps of surprise and joy” category in this year’s awards
  • Mario Odyssey

• I don’t love this game like other people do, but I finished it and I also keep playing it. The first two hours gave me more joy than any other Mario game ever has.
4 Likes

hmm. well i barely gamed this year but here go.

• wolfenstein 2 at the top of my list for sure. even if i have to downgrade to 640x480 to get the game to run at 60fps. man is it coded like trash. but once i got it worked out,
    • the FPS gameplay is great+fluid, they really improved on the clunkier aspects of the new order. dual wielding is clunkier (i honestly don’t think wielding two different weapons is a great FPS addition in most cases - here you don’t ever really find it useful, unlike say halo 2). that said, sprinting is more fluid, the level geometry more wide open and signposted much better (to reduce time spent wandering around lost). the shotgun is brilliant, the scoped AR is great, dieselkraftwerk great.
    • maintains the high standards for characterization (in the action movie sense) carried over from TNO. love the new chars of “Angela Davis/Assata Shakur composite” and “commie Uncle Sam”. story deserves a lot of credit for surreality, twists and turns while maintaining a sense of groundedness about its morality - “Nazis are evil and let us show you why. White supremacy is evil and let us show you how. trauma happens and here is how people deal.” great great game politically. story jumping from place to place makes significantly more sense than in TNO.
    • definitely the game of this current political moment, and in my life too.

hon mentions

• cuphead
    • i think this one worked out exactly as people would have figured - beautiful fuck-hard arcade run’n’gun, seems about the floor/ceiling for it. deserves credit for not watering down difficulty in the service of accessibility. basically what it says on the tin, which is good. i didnt finish - barely got past the first few bosses - that’s how i relate to these types of games. still appreciate it.
  • night in the woods
    • got part of the way thru this one. i think it’s completely possible for a type of art to become a cultural touchstone and be completely legitimate in its artistry for a certain group of people, while remaining somewhat at a remove from others. NITW was like that for me - i didn’t grow up in a blue collar post-industrial sort of town, and while i can appreciate the anti-capitalist themes there for obvious reasons, there’s a lot i feel like i’m missing while i play the game, in terms of the nuances of the portrayal. i imagine if i read a really good piece of criticism i could appreciate it fully. anyways i bought this at full price and bought a NITW snapback too. support ur comrades

yep i barely played anything. i can’t include vanquish, not a 2017 game

1 Like

let it die (if we are indeed accepting a december 2016 game as a 2017 game) and sonic mania are games that prove that aesthetic beauty in videogames is not dead

I make the rules and I say Hell Yea

Wolfenstein deserves a lot of credit for pulling off a wide swath of risky characters through decency.

Max’s communication and artistic pursuits are an amazing depiction of a person with intellectual disability that’s unrivaled. BJ’s weakness and preoccupation with his mortality cuts to the bone. Grace and Horton bring BJ’s complicity and passing to the forefront so they can move forward.

They didn’t hire experts in race conflict theory or disability to do this well. Wolf is about being decent in the face of evil, these characters flow from that, and the writers had their heads screwed on right. It has about a hundred possible collar-tuggers and never fucks it up.

4 Likes

it’s also fucking fun and funny and cathartic while accomplishing all that!

3 Likes

I almost wish I could share some of the cutscenes with squeamish people who need the catharsis, y’know? But the violence is absolutely necessary.

I fixed my list!

Best video game list of 2017: 2017 edition
Super Mario 64 DS
Zeld the new one
Titanfall 2
Blaster Master Zero
Gotta Protectors
Bakugan Defenders of the Core
Demon’s Souls
Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Decepticons
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Lego Jurassic World

1 Like

if that isn’t a joke post, i’d like to hear why, honestly!
I never touched any TF game aside from the Platinum one, due to… uh, let’s just call it distrust in shovelware games that have a licensed name™ put on the game box, and the TF games are basically the prime example of that. Now i had a short glimpse of “what if i was wrong, and they offer sth playable, and i missed thst just because i never gave it a chance”, and then i think… Transformers.

so tl;dr, is it really worth it?

if this is a real entry, i’d like to know more. all i know about bakugan is that it’s some kind of beyblade-type thing with transforming marbles?

Ok I’ll reply to both of you at once instead of double posting.

The DS Transformers games actually feel like they had some thought and care put into them compared to their console counterparts. The middle entry to me feels best because it has large maps, but not the boring empty, open world of the first one. The controls feel pretty darn good as well, and you have a bunch of different weapons to use. The driving is also really we done and feels slick. I hope there are more driving only missions.

As for Bakugan, yeah they’re little balls, but I guess in the cartoon tie-in they turn into giant monsters? That’s what the game is all about. It’s pretty simplistic, but it does try to have things like combos and parries and I probably canceled something into something? I just wanted to play a city smasher with varied characters and this scratched that itch. Most of these games were just ones I put time into.

2 Likes

hello this thread is for the best games of 2017 not The Games of 2017

These were the best

1 Like

Fire Emblem Heroes is goty

addendum: game of the year #3

• universal paperclips (http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/)
    • the only good clicker game I’ve ever played. aspires to be something greater than a skinner box and achieves it. great pacing and twists and turns. if y’all don’t know, this is a game depicting the now-famous paperclip maximizer problem in artificial intelligence. in the midgame, it’s a capitalism simulator, with all the attendant implications. by the end, it’s an ode to madness, in the ahabian sense. if you’re willing to stick with it through the leaner periods (which, credit to it, are few and far between compared to most clicker games), the denouement is brilliant.
    • the music is good too
    • my friend’s dad made it
6 Likes