3. Neon Genesis Evangelion

4. Wolf 3D

5. Magic Wand (thanks the catamites)

6. The Ancient Magus’ Bride

7. Tulpa’s Maze

8. Nier: Automata

5 Likes

I know we’re supposed to be eclectic here, but it’s PubG and Zelda

The breakthrough in both those games is have an engaging game design entwined with a large naturalistic landscape (as opposed to having e.g. a large empty space with isolated points of gameplay). That had not truly been achieved before 2017

3 Likes

eclectic? my very real top games this year were 1. nier automata and 2. I didn’t play anything else, fuck!

4 Likes

People tell me Resident Evil 7 happened?

I promise to play @thecatamites Magic Wand before 2018. Promise. It’ll be my #2

1 Like

My 10 fav games that came out this year:

1. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
  2. Prey
  3. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
  4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  5. Thimbleweed Park
  6. What Remains of Edith Finch
  7. Resident Evil 7
  8. Little Nightmares
  9. West Of Loathing
  10. The Low Road

Top 10 games I played this year not released in 2017:

1. Jagged Alliance 2
  2. Myth II: Soulblighter
  3. The Wheel Of Time
  4. Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
  5. The Last Express
  6. Loom
  7. The Warriors
  8. Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri
  9. Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
  10. Maximum Chase
5 Likes

MR. RONK’S TOP TEN CONSUMABLE MEDIA THAT HELPED KEEP THE DARKNESS AWAY

10) Cuphead
I was expecting a game with gorgeous hand drawn animated graphics, but i was NOT expecting a rock solid spiritual sucessor to games like Contra: Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes. It’s only hard if you don’t learn its lessons.
9) Tacoma
While maybe not as personally affecting as Gone Home, this Immersive Video Rewinding Sim fleshes out some solid characters with great writing and actually tackles contemporary class politics and the existential ennui of evergrowing corporate influence.
8) Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator
This might be the most wholesome game of the year. Incredibly charming characters, legitimately funny writing, and the relationship between you and Amanda practically makes this a Gilmore Girls adaptation. The world sucked a whole lot this year, so it was nice to be able to live in this stress free environment where I could ignore everything IRL to go on some care-free dates with dads.
7) Resident Evil 7
A real back to basics approach that still uses novel modern game concepts like unkillable bosses and really disgusting graphics. The best in the series since 4.
6) Splatoon 2
Just like Splatoon 1, only now there are people beyond the small Wii U user base actually playing too. And portable!
5) Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Finally, an incredibly engrossing 3D Zelda that doesn’t bog you down with bullshit. I mean, there’s bullshit, but YOU choose to follow that path. This game would be higher on my list if I actually finished it, but I just got too swept up in cooking, finding horses, and skiing down hills on my sheild.
4) Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
Even though the actual FPS parts weren’t that great, the story more than makes up for it, having more depth and nuance than about a hundred other TV shows and movies i’ve seen tackle similar themes and none of those other ones featured any kind of gigantic laser that melts robots. We may have shit head Nazis in the real world, but in here, they’re just obstacles colliding with BJ’s Knife.
3) Sonic Mania
The intro movie for this game made me cry. My favorite series growing up now has the absolute best version of itself and all it took was a few decades of fucking it up so bad that fans had to take over.
2) Night in the Woods
This one hit home pretty hard for me. Kind of like Animal Crossing, only there are no chores and everything reminds you of how incredibly awful you were to your friends and family when you were in college.
1) Super Mario Odyssey
More than just the best 3D Mario, more than just the best Mario in a decade, this game just feels right. Movement is an absolute joy and it would be one of the greatest 3D platformers ever even if it was just a big empty space with blocks. Luckily there’s a bunch of incredibly dense and varied worlds, with every nook and cranny containing neat little moments that really made me smile. It’s the dreams and ambitions of Mario 64, fully realized. Every single pixel of this is Pure Uncut Videogame. I really needed this game this year. I think a lot of people did.

GAMES I NEED TO ACTUALLY PLAY BECAUSE THEY LOOKED INTERESTING

• Getting Over It With Bennet Foddy
  • Universal Paperclips
  • Pyre
  • Prey

also special mention to PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, a game i did not play a single bit of, but somehow have experience thousands of hours through watching other people’s streams.

5 Likes

putting this in the multiplayer subsection is a good lowkey joke

I can’t believe you wrote something about all of these games and now I have to put in effort.

2 Likes

I’m not putting these in order because what if instead of competing all these games loved each other and were friends

oh god there were so many games this year and I didn’t play enough of them

Super Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Night in the Woods
Getting Over It
Doki Doki Literature Club?
Rumu…?
Stories Untold…?

…I guess that’s all I played? MK8DX came out this year, but that’s a port. Persona 5 came out this year, but I’m only two dungeons in and am not blown away by it. I’ve barely even played BotW.

Uhh, so here’s the 2017 list of games still glaring at me from their libraries!

1. Detention
  2. Hollow Knight
  3. Loot Rascals
  4. Monolith: After the End
  5. Nex Machina
  6. Rain World
  7. RUINER
  8. The Sexy Brutale
  9. The Shrouded Isle
  10. STRAFE (now that it’s updated)
  11. Tacoma
  12. The End is Nigh
  13. Snake Pass
  14. Star Fox 2 (lol)
  15. Tumbleseed

And the games I want to play but don’t yet have access to:

1. RE7
  2. Yakuza 0
  3. Horizon Zero Dawn
  4. Nier Automata
  5. Tekken 7
  6. FFXII: Zodiac Job thing
  7. Cuphead
  8. Pyre
  9. Sonic Mania
  10. Prey
  11. Rime
  12. SteamWorld Dig 2
  13. 2Dark
  14. Wolfenstein 2
  15. Hellblade
  16. ECHO
  17. Gravity Rush 2
  18. Torment: Tides of Numenara
  19. Little Nightmares
  20. Fire Emblem Echoes
  21. Observer
  22. Everybody’s Golf
  23. Mario + Rabbids
  24. Golf Story
  25. Culdcept Revolt
  26. Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon
  27. Gorogoa

good year for games, bad year for the limits of human possibility

4 Likes
  1. Phantom Dust Remaster
  2. Oikospiel
  3. Million Onion Hotel
  4. Dujanah
  5. Black Room
  6. Gradient Addiction
  7. Zelda

Best games i didnt play: Nier automata probably, 868 hack w/ the new expansion, night in the woods, maybe urrnog, rain world?, samus returns looks uhhhhhh but maybe there’s some good in there

2 Likes

I posted this in a different thread a month ago but I’d go:

1. Wolf
  2. Zelda
  3. Nier
  4. Divinity
  5. Yakuza
  6. Torment
  7. Foddy
  8. Snake
  9. Observer
  10. Dishonoured

I play shit so sporadically I don’t even know what damn year things are released anymore but here are some games I’ve played this year, ranked roughly in order of how much I liked them

1. Clustertruck
  2. The Floor is Jelly
  3. Uncharted 4
  4. Lumo
  5. Doki Doki Literature Club
  6. Downwell
  7. OVIVO
  8. The Sun and Moon
  9. Persona 5
  10. Universal Paperclips

I’ve only finished like, 3 of these, NO RAGRETS

1 Like

nier
romancing saga 2
yakuza 0
60fps vanquish
wolf
persona 5 had some nice music and ui i guess

haven’t played zelda, going to buy myself divinity 2 for xmas

1 Like

oh yeah that’s right vanquish is out on the pc huh

alright so my new list is

1. Nier Automata
  2. 60fps Vanquish
6 Likes

actually @HOBO’s demo of DDD is all of the other spots

2 Likes

I only played Nier, but it’d be Nier anyway

PUBG looks like garbage, I don’t get it. I watched my friends play Mario and I was shocked by how boring it looked, I have no interest at all in touching it. at no point does any part of Zelda look like anything but your average open world game. I don’t know, select button, I really don’t understand 2017.

1 Like

Breath of the Wild was revelatory for the first dozen hours and last dozen hours, and kinda aimless and saggy for the middle half-dozen. there needs to be more enemy types and weapons and more shrine variety (too many combat shrines!) and once i’d seen every region gotten over being overwhelmed by the scope, i got a little bored. BUT there are so many small, rewarding details that make picking over the map with a walkthrough later on worth it. Do all of the shrine quests even if you don’t take all of the shrines, there are some absolute treats. and seriously, that first dozen hours. the first time you hang-glide off a mountain. you could stop the second you got bored and get a full experience out of it
i can’t wait to play the DLC and get a fucking motorcyle. wait what am i bullshitting about you get a fucking motorcycle to ride around Hyrule Field 11/10 GOTY

Night in the Woods is a game that feels tailor-made for me to like it. i really really liked it. I’ve had actual nightmares of moving back to my home state and living in my dead-end hometown, watching the stores close and the young people move away. and i’ve been someone just like the main character, depressed and self-centered and just kind of shitty to people. and it is a remarkably nuanced and timely picture of the anxieties of my generation, my peers and me. BEYOND that serious stuff though, it is a gorgeous looking game that feels nice to hang out and bro around in, even when it’s very sad. it is essentially a Persona game without random battles or regressive attitudes towards gays. and the little animal people are cute,

i think those are the only games i played this year that came out this year :o

the best game i played this year that didn’t come out this year is also the best game i played this year and it is BLOODBORNE. this game clicked with me so immediately and everything about it just worked for me, start to finish (except frenzy, fuck frenzy). i think it is probably the hardest game in the series, but i almost always felt like it perfectly balanced on the knife edge of being enjoyably hard and worth throwing myself at over and over. it also has my favorite story of all of them, by a country mile: it is a genuinely gripping tale about people dicking eachother over by harnessing forces beyond their comprehension, but also is a bonkers mashup of gothic horror stories that sells itself on art direction and atmospherics enough to be cool instead of just ridiculous. Just a delightful game, i am really glad i played it. i wish chalices were less boring

honorable mentions:
-Dark Souls 3. i haven’t actually finished it yet. but it’s pretty fun. my action button dot net bottom line is: dark souls 3 is “the dark souls of dark souls”

-the character creator in Sonic Forces. it sucks that you can’t make a fox though. also that the game after it is so bad

-YO NOID 2 ENTER THE VOID

5 Likes
  1. Nier Automata
  2. Battle Garegga
  3. Yakuza 0
  4. Opus Magnum
  5. Dragon Quest Heroes 2
  6. Destiny 2

I dunno sure yeah.

best games i played that came out this year
1 zeld
2 blaster master zero
3 yo noid 2
4 what else came out this year??? knights of valour on ps4 is ok?
5 i wanted to play nier but its still expensive.
6 what came out this year i seriously dont remember
7 i bought an r4 and played a lot of mario 64 and the transformers games

1 Like