Best games to play on iPhone

I pulled the trigger and I bought an iPhone 12 Pro!
I am looking at which games I can play on it, and among the others, I see there is Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, which looks pretty cool.

What other games I should play on the iPhone, that:

• are really good exclusives (I remember Cinco Paus, Device 6, Hack 868 among the most simple ones)
  • cannot be played portably elsewhere (e.g. I see that there is The Witness) or will play better on iPhone than Android

Thanks!

4 Likes

Riven!

6 Likes

Since I drop my smart phone for years, only three games I’m still have memory lane.

Fisrt of first, must be Killing Time At Lightspeed

Of course it has web browser or other version, but the best thing of this game that is you could play it on iPhone when you on a real air trip. It will be a stronly empathy with game after plane turn off lights, though in game you’re travelling like lightspeed much faster than a plane irl, but your situation will be same like the main character in game, this little yellow screen will be the only connection with a world that seems like it real exists, all the fake social contents will be very persuasive and touching you so much.

Noted: only play it on a air plane, other place with any wifi or 4G will ruined all the feeling.

and next Tower of furtune series

image image
image image

Great slot machine RPG games, the game itself on very few elements, but it will let you indulge in that addicted random. I can’t stop myself in this series (1-3).

8bit Doves

This is the very early game from Nitrome, not like later rogue-AD-games from them. It’s more nostalgia and skilful like classic on Gameboy. I’m not sure it’s whether supports latest iOS version or not. Oh! Game OST is also a thing deserve to listen.

8 Likes

Buriedbornes continues to be a really good mobile roguelite, probably one of my favourite mobile games in general.

3 Likes

What a pity, I see that Monkey Island 2 Special Edition has been pulled from the App Store

1 Like
3 Likes

I think phone arcade shmup ports are a weirdly really comfy and breezy way to play shmups because you can just drag your ship around bullets so fast in a way that the original versions didn’t allow for.

The Cave ports from the early 2010s didn’t make it to 64-bit iOS (oh whoops, they are bringing those back…DDP MAX, Deathsmiles and so on) unfortunately but this “Mobirix” studio put out free to play interstitial ad-tainted ports of Toaplan’s Truxton (1) and Twin Cobra as well as like the entire set of Psikyo titles that got City Connection ports to PS4/Switch a few years ago. Zero Gunner 2 uses multitouch to allow you to move your ship with one finger and pivot your firing direction around with your other finger that was kind of mind blowing to me.

Taito’s Ray-series are probably the definitive ways to play and have the bonus modes from the home console ports. RayCrisis kept in the level transitions from the original arcade PCB so you can reallly play it like the seamless Y2K prog fusion drum 'n bass album it was meant to be

5 Likes

Thanks for the advice! What about Bug Princess series? Would touch screen improve things there as well?

1 Like

I think so too since you also got touch controls like the other Cave titles, though the app I have (“Bug Princess 2 Black Label” which is probably Mushihimesama Futari I guess?) is one of those that apparently didn’t make the cut over to 64-bit. To date it seems they’ve only updated the Dodonpachis and Deathsmiles. Touch controls might trivialize these games by adding mobility that wasn’t originally intended but I guess I don’t care and probably have enjoyed my time with them more than I would with standard controls. But if you have a good bluetooth/MFI-supported pad I believe that’s an option for these too if dragging around gets boring.

3 Likes

Just an update! As I have Apple Arcade free for a few months, I am playing Dodonpachi Resurrection and it’s quite great! Playing it on smartphone mode and it controls really well.
I have also been playing with Zero Gunner 2, unfortunately the free to play mode (which, As I understand, is the only available way to play on the iPhone) gets too tedious in short time: it forces me to watch many videos to earn points to continue the game, so I uninstalled it.

I also invested 20 euro in Raystorm and Raycrisis! I will play them after DDR.

A question related to Riven: what advantages would it offer to play it on iPhone than, say, playing the original version on Scummvm on a hacked Switch (or on a capable Android phone)?
Are there enough optimizations on the iPhone version to warrant the price?

2 Likes

Yeah sorry, after putting some time into those, the ads are a real drag on the experience…

2 Likes

I wonder if they ported a similar smartphone mode also on the Switch? The hardware would allow that

2 Likes

From what I can tell the Switch versions of those Psikyo shmups (and also Toaplan’s Twin Cobra in the M2 ShotTriggers port) don’t have touch controls unfortunately, that would have been great to have. Yeah I’m baffled that with the abundance of shmups on that console none that I’ve seen have bothered to put in that smartphone-style drag to move, it’s been great aside from the ad annoyances in those mobirix apps.

3 Likes

Riven would probably be fun to play with touch controls, but I can’t imagine looking at it on a tiny phone screen. Really gorging on the beautiful environments is one of the chief reasons to play the game.

1 Like

I am playing Thumper (thanks Apple Arcade) and it works very well with touch controls.

By the way, did anybody play The Witness on the iPhone?

I woke up just now really irritated that I can’t play Poinpy!!!

That’s the only game announcement I’ve seen in months that I’m remotely interested in!!!

1 Like

I an equally irritated because:

• They have pillled Monkey Island 2 SE
  • Faster Than Light keeps being iPad only

Just to give more meat to this thread:

• the beautiful remake/reimagining of Shadowgate is on the iPhone (well, and on the Switch as well)

• follow-up to To the moon, Finding Paradise, has come out for iOs too!

1 Like