Bennet Foddy's Sexy Hiking HD

Anyway I changed my mind today after playing again in 30fps for a while, it doesn’t make that big of a difference. I had mostly attributed my skill improvements to fps (as I said, the learning process is mysterious in this game).

I kept on playing this and beat the game today in 16:05 (on only my fourth win – I got a lucky streak and I don’t think I’ll be getting near that time again before I get better), although the iOS leaderboard didn’t register any win after my first one and still has me at 5 hours for some reason. Playing the game normally has this quality of learning to speedrun it already, since you’re practicing over and over trying to gain consistency on tricks, so I might as well actually do that.

oh this is a wonderful thread! I haven’t played in about a week, but after five hours of play I reached the orange, so clearly I am lord gamer no more

1 Like

I’ve played this for a few hours now and haven’t made it to the top. I got to the part with the slides and pool toys a few times and fallen straight back to the beginning. I don’t think the trackball gives you any kind of advantage, but I’ve kept using it because it’s more consistent than my laptop’s shitty trackpad. I am finding it hard sometimes to manage how far I have the hammer extended, but idk if that’s a trackball problem or a me problem.

Anyway, I really enjoy it. It’s the purest expression that I know of in a videogame of progression through learning-how rather than learning-that. All kennen, no wissen. Now I want to write something or do a class on how this relates to haptic perception / dynamic touch / perceptual learning. Pedagogy with Bennet Foddy.

8 Likes

this game is my life

8 Likes

I’ve only gotten to the area right after slugger so far and it is so good

I hardly have an idea how to progress

1 Like

I love the weird heavy-handed sky color transitions

Especially when they go by really quickly in reverse

4 Likes

The bell sound effect running continuously in the background is driving me absolutely bonkers though. There’s hardly any spot in the entire game where you can’t hear it at least faintly. After playing long enough I start to hallucinate I’m still hearing it in real life inside fan white noise. Why Foddy why

6 Likes

to hurt them

oh my god i bet the skies are done with his gradient tool

shadow promo

1 Like

I wondered if the hammer was based on a particular hammer so I typed “climbing hammer” into google and the first thing I got was what it was clearly based off so I like to think that this was also the sum of Bennet’s decision making process re: hammer model

9 Likes

it’s apparently a yosemite hammer according to his interview with Timﷺ

yes

an XXL yosemite hammer

stabbed myself in the hand on an unfinished knife windmilling my digihammer around GOTY

5 Likes

On this, the first day of 2018, I got over it

12 Likes

The only appropriate reaction to getting WR in this game after playing it for 235 hours, really:

3 Likes
1 Like

I finally beat this game today.

5 Likes

finally got around to this on a friend’s rec… it’s honestly very very very deep, this one

as professional jazz pianist said on a podcast i listen to, about how to practice jazz, “It’s not hard, it’s easy, I just haven’t got it yet”

seeing the steam reviews with ppl fake-screaming about the difficulty is funny. it’s kind of funny to read them and think, “none of you people have ever seriously tried to learn a musical instrument”. i don’t really think this game is “hard”. it’s brilliantly clear. you’re over here and you need to get over there. here is your hammer, figure it out. really relaxing actually. burst out in delighted laughter each time i mess up in a silly way to a new dev-placed obstacle and launch myself back down 5 screens of height to the bottom of the chasm

if Getting Over It is “hard,” then literally everything worth doing is life is harder than Getting Over It.

we were having an axe discussion where @thecatamites was talking about ‘thingliness’, the idea that when you try to make art in most media (clay, music, paints, etc) the thing speaks back to you and the art is a product of interaction between you and the thing which will not remain silent. it’s hard to find a better example than Getting over it for exactly that, the ‘thing’ never stops speaking to you and you must learn to speak to it, and if you can learn to speak to this thing, you can learn how to do… really anything.

it gives that classic STG feeling of, this thing is overwhelming, until you master it, and then it’s understandable, and even easy. and it is fully earned, your brain has developed real grooves

i dunno, i think this is very very philosophically deep, this. it’s good art

10 Likes

i’m reading steam reviews and it’s fascinating that the positive reviews (the ones that aren’t just “i want to kms” 15 hours played) are people who really truly get the point being made, and take it in a multitude of directions. like i’ve never seen a steam review page where i come away with this much respect for gamers, as this one

this one is translation of a chinese reviewer

an amazing artistic statement

10 Likes

I think the narration played a huge part in setting this up. Players are extending the thought process the game directly told them, which makes sense. One of my major hopes is that games, through direct conversation, can bring players into their subtext more effectively. And why not start by talking to them?

13 Likes