Being Attitude for Gains (gym thread)

Yeah good luck. 3x a week fasting is real hard. I was thinking about doing it 1x a week.

Re: Smoking

I’ve “quit” many times in my life. I think the most successful I’ve been (gone for the longest without smoking) has been when I avoided triggers. E.g. when I stopped working at a shot & beer bar, stopped dating smokers, stopped drinking a lot, stopped partying a lot. It’s easy to not smoke when you do things your brain doesn’t associate with smoking. I think if I associated smoking with using my computer I’d probably be a smoker for life, but I don’t do that.

Other things that help - quitting smoking buddy (or just quitting bad habit buddy) and realizing the injuries that you get from smoking (I can’t sleep for shit when I smoke now). It doesn’t help when your buddy gets back on their habit, but hey, at least you’re together in your relapse.

1 Like

Thanks for the good luck wishes! I’ll give an update on how it’s going after a week or two.

In the mean time: I worked out my arms and the day after I felt sore just around the elbow joints. Then, the second day I feel intense soreness all across the muscles. Now the question is, do I work out the arms again or not? I used to read that you shouldn’t work out a sore muscles. Then I read that soreness doesn’t mean you shouldn’t work out. So I wonder if there’s any consensus on that. My goal being mass gain, not strength gain.

So it’s been two weeks. It went rather well! I say this even though I can’t realistically pull off a complete fasting day. At some time between 6 and 9 pm the urge to eat just becomes too much. All I can think of is eating, then. Going to bed that early is not really an option for me right now. So what I do is have a sandwich. I don’t need more than that. I don’t need to sate the hunger completely, just enough so that I can think again. So what I’m doing is actually a perhaps 300-500 kcal day instead of a fasting day.

I drink wine just as I always do, too. Not more, not less.

I completely cut out energy drinks though. They were my only weakness in the beginning. I just couldn’t stop drinking 3-4 of those per day. Then I decided to not buy them anymore and instead get flavored mineral water. It’s got no calories but it’s got taste. So that should help immensely with the sugar calories. It also helps me stay hydrated because I drink a lot more water than I drank energy drinks.

So yeah, this is cool. I’ll see this through with this current ruleset. I weighed myself in the beginning and took my stomach circumference. I’m hoping to see some good progress after 3 months but I’ll go for at least 6 and then see what I do from there.

One plan would be to get crazy shredded with this method and then quit it, eat normally again, gain weight again. And muscle mass. But only up to a point where I can still see my abs and then do the fasting thing again to crazy shredded levels. And so on until I haz a deadz. Because really, what’s the endgame here. A friend of my girlfriend’s told me she lost 12 kg with fasting every other day in three months. That sounds crazy high but whatever, maybe there’s some truth to it. She gained everything back after she stopped that diet. So, you really have to think about what you wanna do. Do you transition to a diet that let’s you eat every day or do you stick with it or…

It’s definitely hard to do, fasting three times a week. It’s definitely no fun and it’s definitely hard. I don’t see any easier ways though. I don’t even think I should be looking for one anymore. Reducing body fat is just a hard, counter intuitive thing to do. You’re better off looking for the strength to do it than looking for an easy fix.

Will keep this thread posted on the progress after another two weeks!

I tried both the bulletproof (paleo-ish high-fat, low-carb) and rawtill4 (vegan high-carb, low-fat) diet for a couple months and they both worked for me in that I looked shredded and ate until satiety.

The discipline needed for that is quite high though too, isn’t it? You have to avoid certain foods and eat others. Plus, you need to cook for yourself a lot and that’s not really an option right now. I live off of what my girlfriend cooks, delivered pizza and sandwiches.

Yeah, gotta do what works best for you.

Why did you edit your post? It was good!

Don’t mind me, I do that sometimes all the time. I have this urge to share advice and pretend like I know my stuff when I actually don’t know shit. I’m curious about your intermittent fasting approach though. That’s something I wanna try out too at some point maybe.

1 Like

So my running is going pretty okay, but I am having a hard time keeping it on schedule doing it every day and I feel like Ive lost everything if I don’t run for a week. help.

The scales tell me I haven’t lost any weight yet, which on one hand is annoying because you’re supposed to lose like 2 kg of water when you get on a diet like this. On the other hand I’m not worried because it’s just the first month and these things take time. I did make some progress though because I lost some size around the midsection. I need to make my belt a little tighter and my measurements also back this up. It’s just a small victory but a victory nonetheless. Thinking about it I think the weight might be the same because I’m drinking a lot more water than from before I started. I’ll keep y’all posted. The next month is really going to tell the full tale!

Anyone got tips for a minimal workout routine?

Gear I got:

Adjustable dumbells up to 50lbs
Me
Time

Why do you have to do it every day? Running is high-impact and it’s easy to injure yourself. Also, what are you afraid of losing by not running for a week? Stamina? Muscles? Lost weight?

5 Likes

I did lose 2 kg this month. :slight_smile: Not much but better than nothing. And I have to admit, I wasn’t as committed as I should have been. Missed some days.

Now I’m taking Wellbutrin again and it has a couple of side effects that are quite wanted. Reduced nicotine craving and reduced appetite! I haven’t smoked in two days and have no desire whatsoever to smoke again. :thumbsup: And I can now go all day without having to eat because even though my stomach grumbles I don’t have any appetite. So yeah, I’m cheating! I’m taking performance enhancing drugs. Most people on Wellbutrin lose weight. So if that’s the case even without WANTING to, then I’m gonna have it easy.

This month I want to lose 4 kg or I’ll be mad! Oh and I’ve switched from 3 fasting days per week to fasting every other day.

So yeah, be back in a month!

2 Likes

Super exciting update: only half way through the month and I already lost 2 more kg. So, well on my way to the 4kg goal. Due to the appetite suppression of the Wellbutrin I only eat a very small amount every night. During the day I don’t feel hungry at all, even though my stomach sometimes grumbles. So it feels like I’m officially off the fasting day plan and on to just eating very little every day. Whatever works, I guess. I just roll with the punches. It’s the results that matter.

1 Like

I made 3 out of 4 kg. The last week of the month I just messed up. Ate too much fast food and stopped weightlossin’. October wasn’t too hot either from what the scale is telling me but at least I didn’t regain anything just yet. So now it’s back to business again. Had a success yesterday. There was family pizza and I managed to hold back pretty well.

So I’m not worried. I knew going in that there could be setbacks. The important thing is just to keep the goal in mind and never give up. Always get back on track. As long as you’re doing that, you’re winning.

1 Like

started cutting sugar out of my diet as much as possible now, now I have to figure out which exercises are gonna be good for my body. not sure where to look! I bought a kettle bell but it’s not with me where I liv now

Don’t wait for your kettle ball to show up, try some bodyweight exercises!

1 Like

Keep the bodyfat low and get huge arms and chest. That’s all you need to measure up to today’s beauty standards. If that’s what you’re mostly going for? And why shouldn’t you. I’ve worked out for many years and biggerized my muscles. It wasn’t good for anything. Didn’t help my posture, ruined my back and is just all around impractical. I should be ashamed that I now need to consume more energy than I did before and waste the planet’s resources. I’m not though because men respect me more and women find me more attractive than before. So that, in my experience, is all working out is good for. But that’s a good reason anyway!

There’s also the sense of progression and numbers going up, if you’re at all into that.

1 Like

that’s a bad post I think

I want to work out to be leaner and slimmer more than I want to biggerize anything, I’m in competitive martial arts so I already know my body is gonna be biggu mess