Beer, wine and spirits

This weekend I went to a couple winery tours and a distillery and I’ve been thinking a lot about alcohol today.

I thought it was particularly wild that the Hakushu distillery in Yamanashi sells a 30ml pour of Hibiki 30 Year for a whopping ¥23,000. Is it worth it for that? I’ll likely never know!

Let’s discuss alcohol, from bottom shelf swill to bottles that cost more than a car.


Also, if you can’t/won’t/don’t drink please kindly do not turn this thread into one about whether or not people should be drinking alcohol. Thank you.

4 Likes

I never used to drink; the past couple of years, though, I’ve really needed that extra bit of help, as it were (I blame not being able to get my ADHD medication anymore). I mostly just drink cheap vodka (when broke) or bourbon (when employed). On the rare occasion I drink vodka while employed, I like Belvedere, especially with water and ice. For bourbon, I really like the cheapest Four Roses (I didn’t think the more expensive bottles of Four Roses were any better than the original). Buffalo Trace and Maker’s Mark (basically, I like the Beginner Bourbons) is usually my fallback if I can’t get regular Four Roses. I don’t really do mixers with any of these – they tend to give me a headache and I think they often just taste worse mixed than if you just drank it straight and then chased it with something.

It’s really too bad Canadian Mist is so vile and disgusting because it’s usually the cheapest whiskey they have at the liquor store. I’d rather keep drinking the hand sanitizer plastic bottle vodka over Canadian Mist any day.

Never been a big wine fan, but I do enjoy sangria – fruit is pretty rad. I don’t mind moscato, but usually I prefer it to be sparkling because otherwise it kind of reminds me a bit too much of drinking like… bad grape juice. Rieslings are OK, too, and Zinfandels. Not a big fan of the red wines, though, I had drunk one of my step-father’s red wines (I think they got it from CostCo, of all places), I have no recollection of what it was, but I remember thinking the bottle looked gimmicky, I think might’ve been from like, a movie director, ANYWAY, I thought that one was actually pretty decent. Plum wine is pretty good chilled.

I had something, I want to say it was Mezcal once, and it tasted like I was drinking essence of burnt firewood, just like, not good.

There’s a winery in the town I used to live in called, I think, Wilson Creek that made relatively cheap (I think back then, it was just like, $10 for a bottle) almond champagne you could get at Walmart that was pretty good.

1 Like

me when I don’t have Sainsbury’s Highland Malt Scotch Whisky

7 Likes

but as a Scrooge sometimes I forget to buy the box edition on flash sales and price of a single can makes me like to drink ice water.

1 Like

Did you hear tomorrow they’re reformulating Kinmugi to legally be a beer?

:shaking_face::shaking_face::shaking_face:

1 Like

when I drink these days it’s almost always wine or a gin & tonic, beer is too filling and lately I find most cocktails really cloying. usually I’ll opt for a dry white (falanghina, pecorino) or light red (beajolais), though I started ordering shitty buttery chardonnays recently to annoy people and I’ve actually come around on them, a victim of my own bit…

6 Likes

for my 45th last weekend i pounded a whole bottle of vinsanto to myself for some reason

4 Likes

i don’t drink anymore (i have had 1 beer and a tiny bit of sake since November of last year) but the last good bottle of Scotch I’ve had was this:

I am not much of a connoisseur of alcohol (i was drinking hot vodka straight, and the cheapest kind i could find, for reference) but i really enjoyed this and made it last a while. Don’t tell me if it’s objectively bad; I don’t want to know.

I would love to have a nice bottle of scotch around again - I might treat myself for Christmas if I’m feeling safe about it.

5 Likes

oh it’s terrible stuff, send any more you get to me and I’ll get rid of it for you (it’s good stuff)

the board game pub has a Malt of the Moment special so we are getting to try all kinds, Tamnavulin got a lot of positive appreciation

2 Likes

I don’t drink anymore and I mostly don’t miss it, but a friend one time made this sick rum/lime/something else drink (maybe some kind of creamy liqueur?) with Ron Del Barrilito and it was the finest damn thing I ever had. She had like a special giant ice cube for it and everything. I don’t think about many beers (except Dogfish Head 90/120 minute IPAs and maybe their Worldwide Stout) or other drinks but that one is always at the forefront of my thirsty brain.

Glenfiddich is easily the only scotch I’d ever buy again. That stuff was FINE.

3 Likes

glenfiddich was my grandma’s last meal!

10 Likes

My favorite Scotch is Laphroaig. I’m a peat freak.

2 Likes

LOVE ME SOME PAPPY!!! IT’S SO BUTTERY

3 Likes

I do love a cuba libre as it happens but I’m really more of a jack & coke guy. Obviously anything decent should be either on the rocks or with a spritz of water or soda. Drinking neat is too college for me.

My favorite corner store beer is Negra Modelo, a real dark horse contender imo. I don’t know anything about fancy beers really. I like sours. Hops are incredibly overrated.

3 Likes

I used to think all beers are disgusting, and then at some point I realized I actually just think hops is disgusting. It’s a shame that 98% of all beers are heavily hops-based in terms of flavor. I always get excited when I find a good beer that is very low on the hoppyness meter. I absolutely love a good fruited sour, but can get into any beer so long as its light on the hops.

I am definitely much more of a cider guy though.

When it comes to liquors/liqueurs, I have a very strong aversion to particularly bitter drinks (There’s probably a commonality here with my aversion to hops), so no matter how smooth/fine/good someone claims a whiskey to be, I can’t drink it. I’ll try, and I’ll cough and gag like a baby every time.

I got really good at making amaretto sours at home. One of my favorite cocktails, and especially so when you make your own, because you can be sure to not cheap out on the ingredients. There’s not much sadder than an amaretto sour made with dive-bar sour mix and lacking the egg white,

1 Like

you might like lagers, specifically pale lagers, the most popular type of beer in the world. I once had a pils that was a bit hoppy, lavender hints, but a nice helles is pleasing and subtle

am lucky the pub we play board games in (not a boardgaming pub) has hookups with the local independent breweries, so we have a rotation of Cross Borders, Pilot, and Canpervan. plus Guinness & Tennants for some reason (next to Hibs?)

2 Likes

I have to be a wine pourer at a trade event this week and i’m disgusted

3 Likes

i still love ridiculous double/triple ipas, the more they remind me of cooper’s vintage oxford marmalade the better

3 Likes

On topic:

I got a bottle of Laphroaig 15 recently and it is sensational . You can taste all the pretentions that surround whisky. A drop of water does open the taste up and it does get better the further down the bottle you get.

The price of Lagavulin 16 doubled a couple of years ago and for an extra 20 quud this blows it out of the water

3 Likes