^ Soulless

^ Super Robin Hood

Click on these to enlarge them, obv

9 Likes

these were my favorite things about early Nintendo guide books

1 Like

these were my favorite things about videogames

6 Likes

I had been remembering BS Zelda as a straight remake of LoZ, but itā€™s apparently not at all!

1 Like

All of the Rondo maps here: http://www.castlevaniacrypt.com/rob/maps

1 Like

Oh wow, itā€™s like a little bite-sized version! Thatā€™s fantastic.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/2/22/FF3_Floating_overworld.png/revision/latest?cb=20150111024733

5 Likes

Koholint is so crushingly good. Just look how compact and dense w/ detail it is, and yet it not once feels small. My favorite videogame overworld probably.

5 Likes

I agree. I remember, as a kid, noticing how the water flows from the mountains, through the rapids, into the lake, and out to sea, coherently.

Iā€™ve been replaying this last lonely month and I think their dungeon design is even better. So much teasing within the bounds of a small square screen, so many overlooks and bridges and flooded passageways with such a limited palette. Level 6 (FACE) is incredible for this:

Look at the overlooks in the upper-mid-left, and those strange disembodied horse heads, the giant face rocksā€¦ disturbing and cramped

3 Likes

My only complaint is how much space the castle takes up in the middle of the map. Itā€™s barely used and doesnā€™t pull the multi-entrance tricks other screens do, so it doesnā€™t even feel particularly large.

1 Like

totally agreeing w/ all yā€™all itt. also iā€™ve heard that it feels more dream-like and cool to play b&w but i love the garish palette so so much? and the way the ā€˜blankā€™ colour is that off-white. the pokemon GBC card game did that too and it made for great contrast when actual white was used

i think one of the things i have trouble with when trying to figure out scope in my games is that iā€™m always torn between my desire for detail/interconnection and wanting to recapture that blue-skies, world-trotting adventure feeling i got from old RPGsā€“it didnā€™t matter to me as a kid that ff1 was a barely-designed grindfest because you could literally walk across continents, stealing treasure from ruins and selling it in a town on the other side of the world; it blew my mind

1 Like

Yeah as someone who dabbles in rpgmaking and still vainly hopes to make one someday, i feel that.

ive always preferred the color version of Linkā€™s Awakening but its also the one i grew up with.

i think its instructive to compare Koholint w/ Holodrum & Labrynna (the overworlds from the Oracle games)

Labrynna uses space really poorly, with lots of big empty screens. Notice how every area is arranged into these big blocky chunks, theres little overlap between areas that create the smart density of LA. Perhaps some of this was done to accomodate the ā€œtime travelā€ mechanic so you could use it on any screenā€¦

Holodrum, which enforces its ā€œseason changeā€ mechanic in specific locations, seems to point to that being true. Itā€™s still got a lot of empty spaces but thereā€™s much more variety and transitions between areas feel less rigid. Also it has a much more appealing color palette!
Seasons is unquestionably better than Ages btw (Ages is a tedious slog) and the world design is part of why. Still doesnt hold a candle to LA

Dont get me started on the dungeons in either of these games though. for some bizarre reason Camelot decided to have rooms be several screen widths long instead of packing better design into a single screen, totally playing against the hardware (whereas Linkā€™s Awakening leans into it and is much better for it)

6 Likes

I like that the master sword in Holodrum sits outside of the otherwise perfectly square map. Feels like you would have to glitch to get there.

1 Like

forget what i said about LAā€™s garish colours

Remember that these palettes are filtered through the murk of a Game Boy Color screen, so they donā€™t look quite right on our backlit monitors.

Alundraā€™s map bloody owns. Love all the cliffs and stairs and waterfalls. Really has a sense of the whole map being one big mountain. And that little pier on the water is brilliant. Iā€™ve never even played Alundra but I look at this map often. Itā€™s too big to upload so hereā€™s a link instead. http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/PSX/Alundra-World.png

3 Likes

I feel the exact opposite! But I donā€™t want to crap up this thread with a Zelda argument so feel free to disregard my unsubstantiated rebuttal

We donā€™t have to argue about it! Iā€™d be happy to read your counterpoint if you ever feel like expanding on it. Iā€™m replaying the Oracle games now, it had been years since i had when i made that post, so my opinion might have changed anyway. I remember Ages having some pretty long-winded dungeon puzzle design that i wasnā€™t as into, though since i lost my copy of Seasons when i was a kid i also played Ages a lot more, so iā€™m more familiar with it and less so with Seasons. Maybe iā€™ll like Ages more now, or maybe iā€™ll think they both suck!

Guys Iā€™ve been replaying Wario Land 4 and the stages are just the most beautiful things seen zoomed out or in their entirety. I canā€™t think of another GBA game that looks like so spectacular and edible

7 Likes