Backpack Buoys Club

With people wanting to have a space for hobbyist gamedev I thought I’d post about the game I’m working on. It’s a cross between Pac Man and Track & Field with online play.

It’s Pac Man because it’s pretty much reverse tag. One person is it and everyone wants to be it. There’s no scoring yet, but the scoring (meta as I call it) is going to influence a single player mode. The core concept is traversing isometric 3D spaces as fast as you can can be fun. There will probably be some on-the-fly path decision making, too.

It’s Track & Fields because player fatigue is a thing. This is copping a lot from my experiences with The Moon Fields — mash a button to run and have different modes for traversal (backflip, hop, and big leap). The idea is that in a multiplayer environment dynamic movement with opponent fatigue is really interesting. You can be the cool cucumber that doesn’t mash if you’re smart enough, or you can catch up by mashing.

The networking is brand new to me. Um… I’m learning! I have it working over the waves. I’m not exactly comfortable designing a competitive game that has relay based networking, but I’m learning. That every client’s view of the situation is different is stressful, but I think I can make it happen.

16 Likes

The environments are going to have a “fantastic playground” feel. Super basic building blocks. It’s surprisingly hard to make simple enough to parse. I might look up Super Mario 3D World and how they do it? Maybe Sonic 3D Blast, too. or SMRPG?

13 Likes

I love that descriptor, fantastic playground. Seems to fit perfectly what you’ve shown off here. I’m excited to keep up with your updates!!

1 Like

Is there a way to find the gamedev posts from this forum? I added a gamedev tag, but clearly it’s not been used very much

1 Like

The tagging system is new. But it reminds me to tag my Quake thread with it.

3 Likes

Having a lot of doubts about whether we can get this look good. The latency is just not working

I think I can make this game work but it’ll always have the chance it won’t look right.

Unsure where that kind of competitive game exists in the world.