artificial///natural landscapes

a low-key thread about artificial structures and their place in the natural landscape, and sometimes human interaction with those structures.

@cylindrome i was inspired to post this because of your post in that axe thread about enjoying the aesthetics of heavy industry.

15 Likes

BAhbCVsHOgZmSSJNdXBsb2Fkcy9wbGFjZV9pbWFnZXMvMDJkOTM4NzQ5MDc0YWNiMmIyXzExODQ3XzE5NTI3MzM5OTUwMl8yNDMzMjY3X24uanBnBjoGRVRbCDoGcDoKdGh1bWJJIgo5ODB4PgY7BlRbBzsHOgpzdHJpcFsJOwc6DGNvbnZlcnRJIhAtcXVhbGl0eSA5MQY7BlQw

(this isn’t a mountain, rather a heap of mine tailings – photo is by naoya hatakeyama, who i want to make a post about in the future because much of his work focuses on this sort of thing)

pow1lat-lp

12 Likes

Not so rickety to keep me from a catnap.

Just an old thresher.

Definitely like places I used to hang doing Imagined Warrior things.

3 Likes

i found an old external hard drive with a bunch of pertinent images, so i wanted to post a handful to start the thread off and then i’ll post more over time.

Seite72-73

(i always thought of this type of erosion/landslide control structure as gauze holding back the slopes from “bleeding”)

(a still from maboroshi no hikari)

tumblr_mvrjxwVxH41qfaioqo1_1280

5 Likes

oh I love koyaanisqatsi

1 Like

to post about in the future:

humans utilizing artificial structures in unintended ways, as in:
tumblr_mgxdpldHtn1rjf0fxo1_250

6 Likes

Adjacently related, I had a much better pic from someone who’d been there but google gives:

10 Likes

12 Likes

12 Likes

7 Likes

9 Likes

this would be a pretty good fourth wall candidate too. can imagine the stadium rendered at a nearer LOD to the rest of the island

https://marcwilson.co.uk/albums/9U8LSb/the-last-stand-1

Page is difficult to embed images from but very much worth clicking through to and having a browse.

3 Likes

8 Likes

Surprise switcheroo reveal collab, FROM/Miyazaki and Guillermo Del Toro

methode_times_prod_web_bin_fb022cd4-9797-11e9-8fb0-df433656861e

Oh these got put back in the water so I can try to spot them and not get the shit scared out of me

2 Likes

agricultural terraces really encapsulate this sort of relationship for me

9 Likes