Are you a "Gamer"?

Never be part of a club that would want you to be a member.

2 Likes

I feel like rejecting the word “gamer” reinforces the notion that playing games is something to be ashamed of. Instead I go with it and try to be a good person, while rejecting the bad actions of a few.

-Wes

like others here I feel a disconnect from the broader community, in what I play and in my attitude. I’d like to say the urge to distinguish myself is simply because I cant relate, but underlining it is a stronger personal hangup. the label itself is obnoxious. it reflects my own prejudice: to me it implies a confidence in an activity which on some level I mustnt be entirely comfortable with, by “that sort of person” I look down on.

hey, smelly fat ugly man with shitty opinions who’s content with mediocrity, you’re declaring all the former with pride? disgusting!

I’m finding the older I get, the less energy I allocate towards reining in thoughts like that. oh well.

I realized over the holidays how much I love gratuitous multicolored lights, so maybe I am a gamer after all?

1 Like

If that’s so, let me tell you the good word about building your own gaming PC…

1 Like

It’s an annoying term because it implies that taking this hobby overwhelms your entire identity. Nobody calls themselves a movier, or a booker.

There are a few people who self-identify as hardcore cinephiles or whatever, Quentin Tarantino types, and they’re just as annoying. What’s irritating isn’t people who play games, but nerds.

5 Likes

no. i’m more concerned with the appreciation of art, whatever it’s form.
it’s not something i ever felt fully comfortable identifying as.

similar interests are not necessarily equal to having a common ground.

1 Like

I really respect Wes’s stance. What really pissed off #gobblegat was that article about how the majority of people who play video games are cats beyond the classic demographic. I’m for interpreting “gamer” as the basic dictionary definition of one who plays games if only to bum out the pre-teen lady-fearing Call of Dootiers, the chan posting Dark Soulja Boys, and the like. Up the Simpsons Tapped Out playing moms, the Minecraft home schoolers, the cool adults who found their old copy of Katamari in the closet, and the TWINE autobiographers.

1 Like

so are we the cool ones then or what

Statements in first person are always from the cool ones.

1 Like

I’ve always understood ‘gamer’ to be short for ‘core gamer,’ which is a pretty specific demographic.

I’m pretty sure the gamer gate kept me out.

3 Likes

Does anybody call themself a reader, a movie buff, or a cinephile? Yes! If you think of those words as the equivalent to “gamer” (because they actually are) what’s the difference?

-Wes

The group that you are equivocating yourself with. Without contextual implications, it basically means what they’re going to talk about or bring up examples/metaphors in are probably going to come from the media they’ve said they consume. I find that eventually I get bored of that focus and prefer variety of perspective. That also comes from myself believing that very few friends of mine want to talk video games so I don’t bring it up much. I don’t talk games here all that often either! I own media, I’m not consumed by it.

With contextual implications, you have what culture perceives are the stereotypes of that group and the biases that will come out of that. Readers are out of touch introverts, cinephiles are hipsters, movie buffs are obsessed with pop culture (ie. shallow). Gamers also share in those sorts of negative connotations: bros drinking dew and eating doritos and playing COD:BLOPS multiplayer; nostalgia-ridden 30 year olds; or core gamer as @Ronnoc pointed out (which shuts out a majority of people who play games).

If you don’t mind being categorized, then there is no difference to what label you have. And in a teasing parting blow, you don’t since you still sign your posts. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t you think you’ll be categorized anyway, regardless of your intent? Might be better to own a category you want in a declarative fashion rather than one assigned without your consent. After all, categories aren’t really for us, they’re for others.

They should be equivalent, but in practice they’re not. The gamer identity that has been so meticulously cultivated by marketers functions differently from hobbyist labels that have evolved more or less organically. I mean, can you imagine Reader Fuel being sold with a straight face? Or “Cinephile Edition” Blu-ray players?

Uhh…

Anyway, the tag of “gamer” is far more encompassing. Which is the problem with it, since it’s such a simplistic title that it captures everyone who enjoys themselves a game.

the difference is gamers are preternaturally obsessed with these classifications and the anxieties they inevitably produce, whereas there is no such thing as a discussion around just how unfair the “reader” tag is, or just how much I, as a person who reads, fucking hate those “readers.”

I don’t think you get to pick what you call yourself. you are what you do and what those around you take from that. I find people who trumpet gamer-dom and those who outwardly reject it equally tiring. the gamergate backlash lost its vibrancy the second it started reading like a salon op-ed, ie exactly when people like leigh alexander gave it a reason to exist by playing scrabble with personal politics as a quick out.

This has some truth to it, but stated flatly is facile. You have input into how you’re seen, through your actions but also your words (which are, of course, actions), and other people are variously free to ignore your input; your identity is created in the complex of all these interactions - indeed, it is different between each pair of interactions. To deny the label, to vociferously take it up, to shrug and allow people to apply it if they want: each of these possibilities changes how other people see you, even if the actual amount of videogames you play is equal in each scenario.

I find people who insist that they find any person who has an opinion strong enough to have an opposite tiring tiring.