Arcade rhythm games are actually tests for mecha control systems

Oh yeah i tried Wacca.

Gotta be a weird one.

1 Like

I was looking at what’s going on at JAEPO right now and this new Pop’n sure is something. I guess somewhat less slappy and more swipey? It’s got a touch screen under the buttons now.

And I guess Taito is showing off their new rhythm game Tetote x Connect, which was announced a while ago. It’s a touchscreen game but the PV looks like it’s also supposed to evoke para para style dancing.

1 Like

Chris4life just won the Konami Arcade Championship DDR tournament taking the title of champion for USA again

1 Like

Oh no what did they do to popn
These new buttons dont look nearly big enough to hurt my hands
Tragic

Really confusing choice with the touch screen though, like that completely takes away the tactile hit of a press which is kinda what popn was all about maximizing

hi I don’t have anything to really add other than I didn’t really get into any music game until I became an old man in his 30s even though I went to college when Gitaur Hero was The Thing and even though I very much enjoy them, they don’t seem to love me back

excited to go grab some eshop cards and buy Mega39s this week and be bad at dumb Vocaloid game on the go again and also look wistfully at the prices of controllers (or, shit man, buttons) and go “I’ll be able to afford and justify that one day”

1 Like

Wow what the fuck are they doing to popn

I’m 10th dan in iidx now, passing 12s, fuck w me

2 Likes

Rhythm game characters are the best.

7 Likes

If you’re playing on CRT, sure. I don’t think any of the PS2 pop’n games have any compensation options for playing on modern displays which may be an issue. Timing windows are pretty wide in pop’n though so it might be fine?

Konami announced a PC version of pop’n tonight which is in beta right now though! https://twitter.com/popn_team/status/1302787338041356288

2 Likes

You can actually play direct rips of the arcade versions at home (with some additional effort), since apparently the machines just run windows lol
Really interested in how this port is, presumably it would let you use your e-amuse account like in arcades? The iidx port was light on songs but apparently played fine so it’d be nice for popn to be more accessible

1 Like

IIDX Infinitas has like close to 1000 songs now, they’re just super gated behind unlocks and paid DLC.

Also @anonymous that was my intro to Pop’n (although a CRT is near-essential) and I had a good time with it. I just had the Minicon 2 but a real controller would have been a lot more fun.

1 Like

I should note that third-party pop’n ASCs have been USB for quite a while but the PS2 games do not work with USB controllers, only those using the PS2 controller ports

If you want to find PS2 ASCs, you’ll probably need to look at the official Konami one or find a used Ransai or Desktop Arcade controller

1 Like

I thought Daos still came with PS2 attachments, save for the newest models?

doesn’t Konami actually have a patent or something along those lines on that?

Bemani titles have mostly heavily focused on Konami original songs in a way that most other music games don’t. Because Konami made the songs for their games, they could afford to keysound their music to make the gameplay feel more satisfying.

Sega, Taito, and a lot of Konami’s newer series since 2010 or so have largely relied on licensed music to attract a broader audience to their titles, and getting artists to go back and do a bunch of work to chop up their tracks when all they’ll get back is inclusion in your game for 2-3 years is a tough sell. That’s not to say they don’t have original songs, but nowhere to the same proportion as legacy Bemani games do.

pop’n music is an interesting case ever since Sunny Park: Konami original songs are keysounded (aside from two exception categories: Hinabita and ports from non-keysounded Bemani games) and licensed songs are not. Previously, all tracks were keysounded, and that meant most anime songs in the game were covers by Konami in-house artists in order to make them so.

4 Likes

Yeah although looks like it just expired a couple years ago

they should make a bemani game where you have to rhythmically milk a cow and call it teatmania

8 Likes

godddd i really miss iidx but getting back into it feels really daunting

is infinitas + some big expensive custom controller the only way to go about it now?

For home play, outside of the PS2 versions, your options for PC are Infinitas or getting in with the people who run arcade versions on their computer (I am not one of those people so I can offer no guidance there). There’s also Lunatic Rave 2 and the BMS community, which is a much less curated experience. That could be good or bad depending on your angle.

Infinitas got an update recently and I think it’s actually good now, it’s not the cheapest experience but it is for sure way cheaper than being committed to arcade play. Infinitas is REALLY grindy to unlock more songs but that’s all IIDX is, really, so it’s whatever.

All the PC stuff is playable on keyboard (and is honestly still fun like that, just in a different way) but yeah, spending a load of money on a fancy controller is the alternative. Well, I guess there are still people running the cheaper Konami PS2 IIDX controllers through USB adapters, but I’ve heard there’s a lot of complications in getting that right. I’ve never tried it.

1 Like

Okay but only the cow’s ass end is sticking out of the machine, right, like you don’t have the whole big plastic cow attached to an arcade cabinet

join me in lusting after stupid expensive controllers (hell yeah the only home Project Diva controllers start at 500 bucks)

though I guess I’m kind of into Groove Coaster now, guess I have to get one of those too

3 Likes