anime recs/favorites

hear, hear. i have an old thread about this where i make the case for talking about all cartoons as just CARTOONS (or animation if you’re boring and think cartoons sounds too childish) and only distinguishing the country of origin when it’s relevant, in part because of how pejoratively people use the term anime. of course it’s become one of 3 different threads people use to talk about Japanese cartoons separately from any other cartoons but ive grown to accept that because i like it when people prove my points for me

Hot take: the term “anime” get proliferated as a genre unto itself mostly by video rental places, and streaming services have carried the torch, even though we now live in a world where you can acquire animation from anywhere without needing to order fandubbed VHS tapes from a webring. its continued use to separate Japanese animation from anything else is outmoded and should be examined more carefully

i mean if people started doing shit like calling Adventure Time “American anime” maybe i’d be less bothered at least it’s consistent

can we bring back Japanimation though… is that offensive… Yeah probably. We probably shouldn’t. i just like a good portmanteau

4 Likes