anime recs/favorites

none of the other threads quite fit.

some friends i had in uni made anime recommendation images in 3x3 patterns like miniature bingo cards, deliberately leaving off movies. coming up with 9 series i liked seemed impossible at the time, but now after months of binging TV in a quarantined neet fugue i thought it’d be fun to try. you can too, if you want? as long as this thread doesn’t turn into “anime is bad” discourse i’m happy

legend of galactic heroes. space opera/german romantic novel doubling as a shonen anime for space fleet tactics. incredible sense of scope, memorable retro hell future. my feelings about the show’s politics have soured a little over time, plus the last season is a slog, plus they (big spoiler) bury their (implied) gays, but i still love it. the movies in particular are gorgeous and unimpeachable. if you want my opinion on the watch order, it’s episode 1 of spiral labyrinth → all of silver-white valley → a hundred billion stars (up through the end of the van-fleet starzone battle) → my conquest is the sea of stars → overture to a new war → the main series, starting from episode 3.

rascal does not dream of bunny girl senpai. god i hate that title. it’s a hit-and-miss high school romance where a different supernatural phenomenon happens every few episodes, which is apparently its own subgenre? there are better things i could put on here but the arc near the end about the bullied dissociated shut-in girl expanding her comfort zone through very empathetic exposure therapy and the power of friendship worked too well on me to leave this off. this is also one of the quietest shows i’ve watched, which is really refreshing when every other show wants to add cartoon sound effects to punctuate their bad jokes. it doesn’t come across as horny, which is good.

bubblegum crisis. girls fight robots. buries its gays, and like patlabor i resent how much this show makes me like a cop, but whatever, it’s a really good time.

haikyu! probably the most universally loved sports anime at this point and for good reason, i think. the pacing is excellent, characters are well-written and their skills improve at what feel like realistic rates. the short dumb hothead/tall aloof schemer rivalry is charming and very gay. this was the first thing that managed to get me invested in a sport outside of jon bois videos.

bloom into you. a yuri anime that goes out of its way to reject all the gross parts of that genre and has surprisingly authentic gay and gray/aro/ace representation. even (briefly) features an adult lesbian couple, which i wish was commonplace enough to not be a big deal. hopefully it’ll get a second season, but the manga has a proper ending so you can switch over to that when you’re done watching. stuck this one in the center because i too am gay.

chihayafuru. i have now watched most of the sports anime with girl protagonists (it’s not a long list) and this one is my favorite. it’s impressive how much it manages to squeeze out of a relatively simple and very obscure sport (to the point that it played a large part in popularizing it, apparently). unlike haikyu many of the characters come across as vaguely superhuman but it works because the top-tier players are established early and so the show can’t write itself into the dbz corner of constant power level escalation. the fact that the two best players are both socially isolated eccentrics feels pretty true to life, though it’s not as focused on that sort of thing as ping-pong.

fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood. i’m sure no one’s heard of this one. anyway it’s not actually as problematic as the first episode would have you think, or as edgy/grimdark as the chimera episode. it’s one of the more fun takes i’ve seen on lovecraftian horror, and also i have a soft spot for machinist girls and prosthetics in fantasy settings.

mob psycho 100. i dropped this one early on over a tasteless crossdressing joke but i’m glad i came back. it has some of the best animation on this list, the paint-on-glass shots in particular are gorgeous. there’s a pretty obvious throughline from one punch man with the protagonist who trivializes all the fights but this turns it into a more compelling rejection of power fantasies (plus it doesn’t sexualize underage girls, so there’s that). i didn’t like the con man sidekick at first, but he grows on you.

hunter x hunter. all of the interminably long fighting shonen are mixed bags at best, but this one is my favorite. kind of a hard sell since it doesn’t start to hit its stride until the phantom troupe is introduced and a lecherous side character gets mercifully written out, plus it’d be nice to have more girls in the main cast. but if, e.g., you like rules-based magic systems or the idea of an anime battle against a guy with a pompadour who fights using predatory lending powers, this show gets to be pretty fun. the chimera ant arc features the best possible version of “several episodes to cover everything that happened in a couple minutes.”

17 Likes

i dont have the energy for big write ups but my 9 that arent films are

Symphogear (all of it)
Yuusha Ou GaoGaiGar
Escaflowne
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Gatchaman Crowds
Digimon Tamers
Giant Robo
Turn A Gundam
i’ve been trying to think of a 9th show for an hour now, and i just cannot

1 Like

kare kano
haibane renmei
alien nine
patlabor 2: the movie
azumanga daioh
gunbuster
whisper of the heart
legend of the galactic heroes (original series)
nge + end of eva + rebuild 3

i’m omitting several that i love but these are my essential basics

2 Likes

9 series off the top of my head

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Haibane Renmei
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Sailor Moon
K-on!
Devilman Crybaby
Nana
Kare Kano
Alien 9

1 Like

Gunbuster
Diebuster
Macross 1 (Plus the movie that retells it all, Do You Remember Love)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Yu Yu Hakusho (dub)
SaiKano

Excel Saga
Devilman Crybaby (Masaaki Yuasa ver)
Hunter X Hunter (2011 ver)
Samurai Champloo
Azumanga Daioh
In/Spectre
One Punch Man
Panty and Stocking
Does Animatrix count?

I feel like very few of my pics are ‘great’ but I really enjoy specific aspects of them (multiple style changes, plot elements, vibe, high concept world). I think I generally prefer movies to series because I am obsessed with saving time.

cardcaptor sakura - it’s not just a very high quality magical girl show, but it also perfectly and seamlessly combines cute character designs, school life, middle class japanese suburban idyll, awesome battle scenes against cool monsters, and clamp’s traditional chuuni “magic beings doing stuff in front of a gigantic full moon” stuff. the recent sequel series isn’t as good, but it is still pretty good.

mob psycho 100 - i think everyone already knows this by now, but it’s just incredible. a show about superpowers, modern japanese occult/paranormal/cult culture, and self-love, that also has some of the best animation ever seen in a tv show.

escaflowne - a mecha show but it’s also a fantasy show and the mecha are giant suits of armour and dragons and shit. also everything looks and sounds beautiful

di gi charat (original series only) - a series of late night shorts made to advertise an anime merch shop that mercilessly roasted moe culture before most fans in the west had even heard of it. it’s also aggressively nonsensical. the sequels and spin-offs stopped being weird and replaced the parody of moe with just regular straight up moe.

final fantasy: legend of the crystals - a 4-episode sequel to final fantasy v. the story and characters a pretty good, but mostly it’s another one that looks excellent, especially the colour choices.

hokuto no ken - you all know this one, right? a melodramatic saga about the tragic lives of gigantic men who can literally punch people to death, and a massive influence on videogames in general and beat em ups in particular.

armor hunter mellowlink - a guy with a big rifle seeks revenge against corrupt military commanders by engaging in duels with their power armours. incredibly videogamey, even a list of the episode titles looks like the stages from an early third party mega drive game

that’s all i can think of off the top of my head right now

7 Likes

does this one get more interesting later on? i think i stopped somewhere after the sacred beasts. the dub is good, though, yeah, “SWORD GET LONG” is ingrained into my memory at this point

oh wait fucking keep your hands off eizoken, obviously

see originally i tried not to have ovas here so i omitted gunbuster, then my adhd brain put gunbuster in the same category as films but gunbiuster is my all time favorite

1 Like

Oh damn, if we’re allowed OVAs then get Giant Robo in here.

2 Likes

all the emphatically gory ones

1 Like

Been a while since I’ve watched it, but I overall just found it fun and enjoyable, with a great dub.

I would say, based on memory, it peaks at the Dark Tournament arc, which is the second or third major arc they do. That one’s got some good stuff. Beyond that, the following season I remember enjoying, then less so for the remaining two.

planetes
a story about a group of people working with trash collection in space. every episode, pretty much, has to do with a different situation in which they must work together and remove debris from the earth’s orbit. all the characters are full of heart and their interactions w each other are heartwarming to see

gunbuster

evangelion
eva does a trick where the mechanical designs mesh really well with biological components. the evas are of course made of flesh. the world has been ravaged by climate change and summer became the only season. the garrison cities where the defense forces are based on move like living organisms whenever there are threats nearby. taking rebuild 3.0 (and 3.0+1.0) in consideration, even a fleet of ship moves in the air like a pack of fish. that’s pretty cool.

also it has an unbelievable importance to me because i first watched as a teenager. remember getting episodes on my cheap android tablet to watch on the cuntryside, having to wait a whole weekend to search what “sickness unto death” meant n shit

nichijou
really fun. insane animation. even though the actual jokes flew past me, i still care deeply about the characters. cute

mobile suit zeta gundam
so many good gundam stuff, it’s hard to talk of just one. feel like i’d adore turn a, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

zeta to me is like, the only one of these where the original series’ in-universe ideological debate is explored in a more novel way, where for a brief moment it feels like the AEUG-karaba organization represents kind of a break w the federation / zeon dichotomy, while also standing for something that has to do with the future of mankind and such.

this series is tied to war in the pocket and thunderbolt to me in terms of gundam stuff so far

samurai x (rurouni kenshin)
not sure how it holds up but i have a soft spot for it. i like that the setting has explicitly to do w the meiji restoration.

zankyou no terror
probably my favorite, like, detective action anime thing. it’s pretty absurd and the actions scenes are cool. great music, too

asobi asobase
the only comedy anime i legitimately find funny

durarara!!
twists and turns are reeeally fun to follow and the aesthetics are strong. it’s gotta weirdly whimsical “children making stuff up in real life” feel to it, hard to describe. there was a forum where i roleplayed as one of the characters of this story lol

6 Likes

For what its worth yyh is togashi before he worked on hxh
I’ve heard its quality shonen from the few folks I know who have actually finished it but I always take that with a grain of salt given, ya know, they did watch over 100 episodes of the thing

Here’s the first one of these that I did back in highschool

Wow, I was definitely in highschool!
Im not sure if any of these would be in my top 9 now
Maybe I will make one that I actually agree with. It would have at least eizouken and sarazanmae from recently memory

2 Likes

I’m not especially well-versed in anime but I liked the idea of making an image like this. There are a couple of these that I might switch out for others if I thought about it a little more.

Cowboy Bebop
No need to say anything about this one, probably.

Fruits Basket
I like the old version and what I’ve seen of the new version. A few years ago, I decided to collect those deluxe hardcover books to see what happens after the original show, but those books, too, were cut short.

Kaiba
Saw this unusual show not too long ago on Tulpa’s recommendation.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Since I watched the movie version of the original series, this is technically the only Gundam series that I have seen. But I liked both.

Mononoke
I haven’t finished this series despite it being very short, but I think it’s pretty interesting. I’d had that Goblin Cat show on DVD for many years before discovering that it had been expanded into a series.

Monster
After reading the comic, I wanted to see the show. I thought the ending was pretty disappointing (regardless of format) but there is a lot to like leading up to that.

Mushishi
Good atmosphere, fun mysteries, and no pressure to watch more than one episode at a time.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
I just saw this for the first time about a month ago. It has some impressive animation and I like that it gets strange.

Twelve Kingdoms
I’ve forgotten a lot of the story of this one now, but I remember that it was a good story and I wished it had gone on a little longer.

6 Likes

yes! they’re cute imo

I remember mostly liking Planetes but it vaguely annoying me for some reason that I can’t quite recall because it’s been a while since I saw it. I believe it was a bit too melodramatic for me, and also that it regularly got to the threshold of being hard sf and never quite stepped over, which was a constant subtle irritant.

taking deep breaths

Do the Mind Game anthology collections count as “series”? They are really goddamn good.

I remember thinking Kemonozume was mostly excellent, and certainly it has some of the most vivacious, interesting animation I’ve ever seen in a series, but I wasn’t so enlightened on gender politics when I watched it and it still made me feel squicky, so there may be some real problems of that kind in there.

1 Like

I didn’t allow myself OVAs. This is what I came up with. I only allowed myself one per director/known quantity, so that’s why there’s Evangelion and no Kare Kano, Ping Pong and no Kaiba or Tatami Galaxy, and Gundam but not Ideon.

Patlabor
Finally saw this last year and it’s everything I could’ve wanted and more. It somehow feels more adult than most things I’ve seen in the way it’s about some weirdos trying to work together at a job (albeit most in their early 20s or whatever). It’s also incredibly incisive and clever about a whole host of political and social issues, all while maintaining a weekly hangout and adventure vibe. I wish there were more shows like Patlabor, but I can’t think of a single other one.

Oruchuban Ebichu
This is funny as hell, and I can’t name a lot of anime series that I can say that about. Consistently clever animation, searing comedy writing, and a murderously good vocal performance by Mitsuishi Kotono, who almost was also represented by Excel Saga on this list, but it’s been too long since I’ve seen that one.

Mob Psycho 100
Would almost be worth recommending for the animation alone, but it’s also one of the most beautiful stories about the difficulties and importance of trying to be a good person. Also, consistently actually very funny–I can think of very few shoes with teen protagonists who don’t get all their laughs from just being horny or whatever.

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Utena rules and I need to watch it again, because my memory is imperfect and it’s almost like the most beautiful fever dream. The episode where Nanami lays an egg is the best half hour of television.

Mobile Suit Gundam
Is my favorite thing on this planet. I wrote a 100-page MA thesis about it.

Princess Jellyfish
I need to watch more josei series and read more josei manga, to be honest. There’s a warmth in this show that’s never cloying.

Ping Pong
Of Yuasa’s TV work, this is my favorite. The translation of Matsumoto Taiyo’s manga style to screen is phenomenal. Science Saru’s distinctive method of computer-aided animation really came into its own here. And the Matsumoto story it adapts is brilliantly realized–this series really plays up the character duality that characterizes his work to amazing effect. Hardly the reason I love it most, but it also updates the setting from the 90s to the 2010s in a way that feels effortless, and that’s impressive.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
I was more emotionally invested in the characters in this show than some people I know in real life. Jk. Or not. I don’t know. The series really manages to be about so much. The two central vocal performances absolutely sell the rakugo, and the animators do a brilliant job animating them, putting the sort of effort into gestures and shifts in body weight you might see in a giant robot fight or a climactic sports anime match. There is something in the final episode that left a very bitter taste in my mouth, but I’ve sat with it and while I still don’t like it, I love the show dearly still.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
I love this brilliant mess of a show. I’ve read everything that tells me it’s hollow trash, but I can’t see anything here but a passionate, messy masterpiece full of soul and intellect. Every time I watch it I only love it more.

BONUS: The last thing I replaced on the list was Azumanga Daioh. It’s been too long since I watched it, but I’ve never seen any so-called “slice of life” gag-oriented show hit as well. Maybe it’s creepier than I remember, and 15 years of studying Japanese pop culture won’t be kind to returning to it. That’s what I’m worried about. But I still have the fondest memories of it and I suspect it does hold up (I"m hoping, I’m praying). My favorite episode was always the one that takes place on a spring night that was the only one that wasn’t based on any of the material from the comic strip.

7 Likes