An irritating thing that happens when people write about movies (film crit thread)

reviews are generally a worthless form of writing, so I guess you may as well have fun with them

yes, but it has to assume the audience hasnā€™t experienced the work in question, which is kind of a basic prerequisite for any criticism worth anything. hence this whole spoilers business, which isnā€™t even in the critical lexicon

1 Like

While this may be true, itā€™s worth saying that not all good art is great, and not all not-great art is unworth engaging. There are lots of good movies that are less good with spoilers, which might not be true if they were great movies. But they arenā€™t. Iā€™ll take good where I can find it.

2 Likes

Is it wrong if this actually makes me want to see this movie more?

I still like Dark Knight. It was a good movie. Not a great movie, but a good one. The third one is where the grimcruft overloaded the whole thing into a vaguely unwatchable monster.

1 Like

Ledger almost saves it, ultimately just makes it watchable. Otherwise, yeah, all the Nolanmen suck pretty bad.

Iā€™ve always been kind of mystified by the notion of grown adults having cultivated a lifetimeā€™s worth of media consumption ā€” deriving a matured personal rubric for taste/interest in so doing ā€” not having a pretty good idea of whether or not theyā€™re going to care about a thing just by seeing a trailer or reading a press release synopsis or whatever

There are things I know could go either way for me, like superhero movies.
Hearing a trusted source saying, yeah this one is good or neigh this one is garbage, is kind of handy.
For the former maybe Iā€™ll pick it for a movie date, if itā€™s the latter Iā€™ll just watch it on a plane someday.

A review is a lot more interesting if it isnā€™t tiptoeing around plot points.

i think this is really an interesting part of how movies are scripted/edited/whatever, that is probably worth thinking more about. like what are the exact conditions necessary to say so-and-so ā€œsteals the show?ā€ heath ledger in tdr is really a pretty good example, but in that case the metanarrative is, obv, also quite important to how that movie was received. also, itā€™s really easy to imagine what the nolan batman movies would be like without heath ledger, because we have two of those and they are both a little shitty.

but anyway, exhibits a and b for your consideration:

a. beetlejuice: the secret about beetlejuice is that, somehow, itā€™s actually a really good movie (to me) even beyond the remarkably brief screen time of its title character. the whole movie is about beetlejuice, but he isnā€™t the main character. but all of the stuff w/ alec baldwin and geena davis works so well that you donā€™t notice michael keaton is only there for ā€¦ [google] 17.5 minutes? but you canā€™t really say keaton ā€˜steals the showā€™ because the movie is about that character and is named after that character. he does an awesome job, though, and if he wasnā€™t as memorable as he was no one would care about this movie anymore, even though the rest of it is actually pretty great.

b. pirates of the caribbean (part 1): this movie is ostensibly not about johnny deppā€™s character, but from the beginning he is the only good thing about the movie. it really has no reason to exist without his character, but for some reason it got made anyway, and made in such a way that you are continually reminded that he is only a supporting character. in this case he really does ā€˜steal the show,ā€™ but if he hadnā€™t done that i really doubt anyone would have seen the movie at all. so ā€¦ what is there to steal? without him, iit would be just a weird footnote like the Country Bears movie or the Haunted House movie. (yes, those both actually happened. remember?)

basically the greatest thing that ever happened to beetlejuice was the fact that they never made a sequel

but anyway, even though i think both movies are successful in their own way for completely different reasons, or perhaps because of that, i think the mechanics of the ā€˜showcase performance from a supporting characterā€™ are something that go way beyond acting, into the structure of the rest of the movie. someone must have realized that what depp was doing in potc was going to put asses in seats, and crafted the movie around that in a way that didnā€™t just lean too hard on him, and thatā€™s why it remains the best one in the series (itā€™s a paradox: depp is the best part of potc, but the fact that the other three have more depp makes them worse)

itā€™s also interesting to think about times when this has utterly failed, and for that we have the perfect example of the lone ranger.

butā€¦ what else?

hollywood and superhero, man,

While I typically avoid any reviews or trailers for films that I plan to see, I agree with the sentiment that if a movie can be ā€œspoiledā€ by knowing what happens in it then itā€™s probably not a very strong movie.

That said, I enjoy being surprised by how a plot develops. Whenever I read a book thatā€™s new to me and has a foreword, I skip that part and maybe come back when Iā€™m done. If I even remember that itā€™s there. Iā€™d rather have an essay like that at the end. (Like 8128 said.)

Maybe it comes down to whether youā€™re likely to read (or watch) something more than once. You can probably focus on and appreciate some aspects of a work more if itā€™s already familiar. But who reads or watches anything twice anymore? There are just too many things out there. I intend to sometimes but itā€™s very rare that I do.

Iā€™ve enjoyed the rare occasion that Iā€™ve been surprised by a movieā€™s genre. Most examples I can think of offhand have been presented as horror but have turned out to be a non-traditional type of horror or something else entirely.

Also, the only movie reviews I ever read are by random people (or SB people) on Letterboxd.

Also, just to make it clear that my taste is suspect, I like Christopher Nolan movies (even the superhero ones, which are just about the only superhero things I find tolerable, though that third Batman got pretty ridiculous). Iā€™m looking forward to his next one and plan to avoid trailers for it. Though, come to think of it, will there even be theatrical movie releases this summer?

5 Likes