"an aggressive waste of time" (ffxv)

iirc, there even was a limited edition R8 that you could buy - irl - with your hard earned $$$, though i never read anything about the outcome of that or whether anyone really bothered.

I guess these models have doubled in price, because cars and venture captial seem to go well together, take this special limited retro rennsport version of this panda for double the price off my hands, thxkbye

The unique, refreshing taste of Coca Cola Zero Vanilla will protect you against Ifritā€™s fire attacks

4 Likes

Draco, Cokeā€™s greatest heroā€¦

2 Likes

I finally got around to starting this game. Iā€™m playing the ā€œRoyal Edition,ā€ which I picked up a while back for $15. I had to delete several games just to download the patch.

From the DLC list in the PlayStation store, it appears that the version I have includes everything but one sword and one side quest.

When the characters mentioned playing Kingā€™s Knight in the camper and then started talking about features that were certainly not in Kingā€™s Knight, I got a little confused. But now I see that there was some mobile remake of the game.

As with Death Stranding, Iā€™m not sure how to react to product placement in this game (the Coleman camping equipment). Itā€™s basically inoffensive but if I ever saw that in a video game with a story to be taken seriously it would totally ruin the experience.

1 Like

slander on the house of Lucis

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget to download the free ā€˜magitek armour suitsā€™ and the cup noodle hat for Noctie

1 Like

Iā€™m just up to Chapter 10 in this game and I am amazed at how much Iā€™ve dug it so far? That said I feel that it may have just taken a turn for the worst, but weā€™ll deal with that tomorrow.

I donā€™t know that the combat is great, but I find it involving enough and the frequency is so much lower than in a traditional jrpg that I end up not just turning my brain off while stuck in a grind of hitting attack endlessly and actually paying attention.

i think FFXV is a really great game. there is a specific chapter later in the game which ends up making some people hate the game, but i honestly didnā€™t care too much.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had multiple people go ā€œwell chapter 13ā€ so I assume it is that one, but now Iā€™m curious to see what kind of disaster it could possibly be that people who havenā€™t even played the game can recite it from memory years after the fact.

they patched in a replacement so you can opt out of it

Oh interesting. That was when Noctoidā€™s royal ring was improved as well then. That thing is like the Squenix BFG now; I had a great time shoving the entire endgame into lockers with it

Iā€™ve only played the updated version of Chapter 13 and I think it was arguably about 20% too long, but otherwise ruled.

i feel like everyone who says this game is good is gaslighting me

7 Likes

Well if you can roll with the punches you think you might get (nah) it is definitely the most fun and action game-y one.

2 Likes

When does it become fun? I played the first few hours of the game and had no idea how the combat system worked, but still won every battle

1 Like

yeah iā€™d like to give it more of a chance sometime too but combat just seemed like absolute sludge to me, idgi

2 Likes

I donā€™t know why everybody hates the combat in this. I wish every jrpg I could just hit some buttons and breeze through every battle like this one

I canā€™t believe the moving scene where cor introduces the newly returned king to the glaives wasnā€™t even in the original release

4 Likes

Well Iā€™m with Parker on this, anything is better than turn based.

I just used greatswords the whole game because they were the most fun. Wailing on a bunch of dudes then teleporting off to hang off the side of a mountain to recharge chi or w/e was so weird it never really got old for me.

1 Like

See this is why I feel gaslit. I like turn based battle systems in rpgs and I also like action games, ffxv seems to take the worst elements of both. I can watch an anime while holding down the x button on a unplugged controller and have an experience that is at least more visually coherent

3 Likes

I came to really like the battle system and even, about halfway through, began to understand how to be good at it. I also spent probably less time in battles than any other JRPG I can think of. I think the game actually wrings a bit of thematic depth out of its battle system.

It delivers some great spectacle.

Driving around feels cool and since the core story is pretty straightforward and narrow, your choice to engage with sidequests and so on is all up to you.

The narrative is kind of messy, if not a mess per se, but the only times I really failed to find it entertaining were some sidequests I dropped and a stealth sequence.

1 Like