Alfred’s 3DS travelogue (3D mode for ages 7+)

https://www.fragrantstory.com/

What the hell…

Do NOT pay $35 for this or even more for the collectors edition. This is a $2 eshop game that only lasts 10 minutes. There are only 3 maps that last about 2 minutes each with 1 minute cutscenes in between. Characters don’t even have movement animations. The only reason they’re hyping this game up is because it’s the last physical release to be on the 3ds. This short game with no effort into it is barely worth the $2 eshop price. Do NOT buy it physical.

That sounds awesome actually…

You can just be a guy named William and release a physical game on 3DS…Bob could’ve made it on the DS…

12 Likes

there’s also a weird 3d platformer with a one man dev team (i think) that looks unfinished on purpose and seems to be about breaking out of stage boundaries and such.

i don’t know if it has a physical release though. it’s possible they took the insane decision to release an eshop exclusive at a time when the eshop is already long dead

3 Likes

love the juxtaposition between the bootleg SFC logo and the ESRB rating

EDIT: I’m sorry but what?

what’s going on here???

6 Likes

ThorHighHeels just did a vid on this, it had a proper eshop release but Thor’s dutch and the eshop didn’t work so admitted to pirating it (although a PC port might be in the works?)

5 Likes

33 - paper mario sticker star
I was pretty enthusiastic about this game. It’s got very clean/nice 3d graphics. the way your hammer locks on to different surfaces feels nice. one of the early puzzles/tasks is just walking around looking for toads who are stuck in weird places. it just felt very laid back & friendly. but laid back can become boring quickly. there were just a lot of levels in world 1 and the game wasn’t going anywhere. It also started to look kind of bland & underworked after a while too. I had to refer back to videos of super paper mario (the last one I played) and realize at least that game had a little bit of art direction.

32 - apollo justice
Yes they ported ace attorney 4 to the 3ds, this is when I played anything that had a 3ds port. I used think of ace attorney as an auteur game, the auteur being shu takumi. but then I played a little bit of his great ace attorney now that it’s in english, and…it’s pretty good so far, but also not blowing my mind like the first 3 games did. so I wondered how bad could the non-Shu takumi games be. well, jokes on me, he supervised or maybe produced this game. the first case features a much older phoenix who is great. there is no way they could top that first case. but even then I could feel some shitiness bubbling like I think there was an arithmetic puzzle at one point.

31 - mario kart 7
Idk why i’m surprised, I guess it’s easy to be cynical about a game with a number 8 in the title, but I couldn’t believe how much I legit enjoyed mario kart 8. (i bought it on my sister-in-law’s switch, and hogged the switch for a couple weeks.) this game feels like…the game that came before that game. I don’t think it’s just the graphics, although there’s no excuse for the colors being kinda muted, but yeah it just felt like a launch game, felt kinda bland & boring in comparison. maybe it’s retro studios fault.

30 - ridge racer 3d
It’s not bad

29 - tie: donkey kong country returns & kirby’s epic extra yarn
I quit both of these games when I decided not to play 3ds ports anymore. I’d try them in dolphin someday. I was kind of embarassed how much I caught myself not hating dkc. kirby was fine, something about the screen in HAL laboratory 3DS games it’s like they know how to do good anti aliasing or something, it feels like a tiny 720p screen rather than a 3ds screen

28 - pocket card jockey
This game was nice and I’m glad I gave it a chance. I was like ok I get it after a couple plays. The thought of the game getting harder & me starting to lose, made me lose interest, and I hadn’t even started losing yet

27 - star fox 64 3d
The presentation of this game was impressive like dylan cuthbert really wanted to go back and make sure he was remembered for this one game. I liked playing w/ japanese dub since the old english dub was gone anyway. this is probably better than the n64 version but that’s if you want to play star fox 64, and I like thinking about star fox 64 more than playing it

26 - mario & luigi dream team
as soon as I started this sometime after paper mario I was like hell yes, this is a real mario rpg. the music is phoned-in yoko shimomura and yet it’s way better than whatever those schmos who composed sticker star could do. it’s full of weird off brand characters and lovely jrpg waste/nonsense. but once I entered the dream world it kind of ran out of gas for me…you just have to keep going back there for pretty arbitrary reasons, and it all looks the same, with the same music every time. at least in bowser’s inside story there was like more intention behind everything. I feel bad for these guys, they had to keep making these mario & luigi games until they went bankrupt.

25 - SMT devil summoner overclocked
I thought these devil summoner games had persona vibes for some reason. it turns out at least this one, the first one, does not. it feels like if atlus still partnered with cave like in they used to in the 90s and did a joint venture to make a japanese flipphone SMT game in the 2000s. just very good energy. I guess career soft worked on it? hm. however I quit simply because it was a 3ds port of a ds game and that annoyed me. I’ll check it out again someday.

24 - kirby planet robobot
this game must be about as good as a kirby game can be, that must be worth something, it looks and sounds ok, I played it a decent amount.

14 Likes
7 Likes

Good Thread.

2 Likes

23 - brain age concentration training

630416_front

This game needed to have a pitch since there was already a brain age 2, the theme of which was, brain age is really popular right now and we need to make another one asap, and this one came out seven years later

It can be explained thusly: the real life dr kawashima has obviously been doing serious work in the lab in the years following the release of the ds brain age (not just collecting royalty checks) and his new research is all focused on information sickness…getting easily distracted because you are too online. At first I felt this was prescient somehow, but then i realized 2012 wasn’t super long ago and we all had social media if not a smartphone or two. But now I’m realizing the truth is, that’s a very 2012 tech neoliberal poptimist viewpoint, that your phone is distracting you from being a productive worker, but with this 3DS and a couple minutes a day you can be back to 110% efficiency in no time (and your job involves writing things on paper)

The other wow factor here is, this is Devilish Brain Age. Even if you’ve never/barely played brain age—for all the brain age murderheads who played diligently for 7 years…this ain’t your mamas brain age. This box doesn’t have a “touch generations” logo anywhere in sight. Dr kawashima transforms into an oni-esque devil version of himself before giving you the first puzzle. He’s actually explains like, well, this is devilish brain training so I gotta do this and transforms.

Which brings me to the third bullet point I guess which is, the game is fully voiced…I think it adds a lot. dr kawashima asks you if you think the new puzzles are hard. It seemed like he wanted me to say yes, and I was right. He is very proud of how hard he made this game and all the research that went into it.

The game itself there’s not much to say. You have to remember the answer to the math puzzle from the previous line. You’re reading a new line, formulating the answer, and recalling the answer to the previous line (now hidden) all at the same time. Then you start doing n - 2 and i guess it keeps getting harder. I gotta say…was it all designed this way because the 3DS is horizontal now? It’s conducive to rows and rows of problems being displayed all at once? There doesn’t seem to be any vertical 3ds games, I guess because of the holographic-foil-ass screen.

I could imagine a version of myself that played brain age every night and took it really seriously. Imagining that life was more fun than actually living it! And that’s brain age ™

I was a little surprised, but also not really surprised, that they made a brain training for the switch. Did anybody (on earth) play it? I wonder how it controls (I prefer to not actually know the answer)

16 Likes

If Nintendo really wanted to capture the present day zeitgeist, they would make a fringe nutritionist version of brain age where a polygonal LiverKing would make you write out how many pounds of raw meat you ate that day, the maximum age would be 50

15 Likes

22 - culdcept revolt
I paid money for this game when it came out. When you love the sega saturn, you care inappropriately about its exclusive games. So just like sakura taisen, i’m cursed to at least be interested in the culdcept series for life, even though it only came out once on the saturn but it got ported and sequeled plenty of times. How fun is it playing monopoly against a computer for 30 minutes and losing, almost winning enough to make you want to try again and blow another 45 minutes only to lose a second time? It’s exactly fun enough to be #22 on this list…

There’s a game called 100% orange juice that is better than the entire culdcept series, even though i’ve never played it or even watched a video of it, because it is for PC and it is 7 dollars meaning there are potentially billions of players out there, rather than just those few people with Nintendo Network IDs and 40 spare dollars.

I am a little fascinated by kinu nishimura’s descent into depravity. This and code of princess. I wonder if she ever dated george kamitani.

21 - sayonara umihara kawase
This game ain’t bad, but it’s also not the best umihara kawase game. That still puts it all the way up here on the list. The 3ds version has this interestingly horrid lighting/shading especially on the night stages. Why do they draw umi with giant boobs since the ds port? Maybe this is ranked too high actually…yknow there’s only like 3 of these games if you don’t count the outsourced psp one or the nicalis-era ones, so it’s basically the worst one…maybe this game kinda sucks actually.

20 - pushmo
I was lumping this game with other 3DS puzzle-platformers like boxboy, until I played it and was having a lot more “fun”? even though the presentation is awful especially in the beginning (long, unskippable cutscenes that are offensively trite/pointless). then I saw this game is like a 9.5 / 10 kind of game from the world of the 2011 gaming press? I kinda get where they’re coming from…but in the end I decided to stop bc I felt like a rat finding cheese solving these puzzles. when your real brain fails in this game, your animal brain kicks in and starts to solve the puzzles through brute force. it doesn’t feel constructive. It reminds me of shigeru miyamoto talking to yuji horii about tetris in 1990.

19 - japanese rail sim 3d - journey of steam
I played the first one of these on 3ds. there are a bunch on there. I thought I was gonna play them all in order. But the viewable area of the screen was like the size of a postage stamp. I think railfan for ps3 is so fucking cool the way it looks, it’s like a video game from the future even though it’s pretty trivial what it’s doing graphically, meanwhile this game really hurts by trying to do the same thing with such low framerate/high compression. I was ready to give up until I realized journey of steam, which I think was the last one, had a file size twice as big as the other games. Sure enough, it looked much better, and you could remove the cab interior view. I still am terrible at these games.

18 - dragon quest monsters 2 remake
This game knows the 2 lesser known ingredients that make a good 3d game: giant spaces and weirdly fast walk speeds. It was fun to explore around in this game and spin the camera in circles. The game probably would have been good if I had stuck with it. I wasn’t totally sold on a game about catching monsters at the time. Maybe if I had played it after my heart opened up to pokemon (oops, I just spoiled what’s coming later in this thread) I would have loved it.

17 - ikachan
I never would have given this game the time of day on PC, life is too short to play daisuke amaya’s slightly amateurish pre-cave story game. on 3ds it was like having one of those handheld toys like with the plastic rings floating in water. The 3d effect looked great. It was a pleasure just to open the 3ds and swim around for a bit and explore. until I got stuck.

16 - smt4
Everybody’s got a reason to hate this game these days…jrpg haters have always hated it because it’s another long ass rpg. xenophobia haters hated the fact that it was xenophobic. now I think nocturne maniax are also hating it bc it’s not nocturne, and how in hindsight it fits into the generally accepted narrative of atlus declining since the 2000s. I was ready to finally play this game 9 years later for this thread and maybe I would love it and put it at #1, but idk, i’ve started so many of these smt games and they all sort of start the same way, it can be really boring. There’s too many games in this series and one of them would really need to stand out narratively from the first game (my favorite) for me to get into it. I didn’t uninstall it though. It is interesting to think about how these games descended from like 80s wizardry type of games and aren’t interested in storytelling in the way a dq or ff would be, so what I’m looking for in this series is basically wrong of me. Like nocturne is the most beloved entry and it’s one of the lightest on narrative and sort of a pure retelling of the first game. When I played strange journey it felt like it could have been my favorite smt at the time, because it had a story that wasn’t about a teenager who is the chosen one and law/chaos or whatever, even though the game was a little bland in the grand scheme of things.

13 Likes

15 - lord of magna maiden heaven

Damn, it feels kind of perverse putting this directly above smt4…anyway speaking of “perv”…this is a horny & problematic piece of software about collecting magical girlfriends and coercing them to wear maid uniforms. It’s called FORBIDDEN MAGNA in Japan. You make the girlfriends work in your hotel and fight battles alongside you.

I don’t really know what is the overarching flow of the game. I met two girlfriends in a row under the exact same circumstances (frozen inside magical crystals, what else), but the OP shows like a dozen girlfriends. Do I keep going back to the same place on the map & cracking open these crystals one at a time? Or does the game “open up” at some point. See, I love checking out games made by dying Japanese companies, and trying to figure out what was intentionally streamlined/simplified vs. what was unfinished & just duct taped together. This game has a pretty narrow scope that I admire…you can’t really explore much, you hang out at your inn, and the world map is just(?) for fighting battles. The only(?) shop is inside your inn.

This was the last game made by Neverland and they still have people from the SFC era in the credits, so I was holding this game up to a high standard hoping it would be like a hidden gem, and playing the first two chapters it did indeed maintain that experimental late-SFC vibe. The gimmick of the gameplay system, aside from being a sort of dragon quarter-like, is that there are many “popcorn enemies” all over the screen, and only a couple “real” enemies. You hit a group of popcorn enemies and enjoy watching them bounce into each other & stack damage. Sometimes they even bounce into the real enemy. And they like to regenerate, so good news if you like doing it over & over again.

That’s the game part…going back to the other stuff…the main character is a guy who is probably canonically 16 but looks 13 or 14. He is pretty shy and a nice guy and everything he does is for the good of running the inn. Your buddy character is the one who is a little sleazy and makes the girls wear maid uniforms. But having the guys not be grown ass men goes a long way in making the game feel less creepy and more just like cringey and immature. Which can be fun sometimes. It feels like something Working Designs would have localized.

14 - Jake hunter ghost of dusk
I didn’t play this game recently, I actually bought it when it came out. I posted about it here at the time. The main game “ghost of the dusk” is pretty awful (except the music which is by the OG data east composer) but the 5 extra games are vintage—Japanese feature phone games from the 2000s, and even the localizations are better than the main game for some reason. Anyway what I have to add this time is—did you know some of the phone games got ported to iOS and released in English in the late 2000s!? I found them on gamefaqs. Did anybody play them?

13 - Pilotwings resort
Miis are an inspired aesthetic choice here, it feels like a natural evolution of pilotwings 64 and also like a cute Nintendo brand flex. But speaking of pilotwings 64, this game borrows a lot from the vibe of that game like the sound effects. I wished it was as different from pilotwings 64 as 64 was different from the snes one.

11 Likes

yeah the N64 was really the last time Nintendo flexed its design and aesthetic muscles, outside of basically Pikmin and maayyyybe Wind Waker if you are feeling generous. F-Zero X, Pilotwings 64, Mario 64, Animal Crossing, Majora’s Mask, Mario Art Studio, etc. Anything else that was an interesting invention or reinvention was by third parties a la F-Zero GX, Super Mario Strikers…i guess there might be others

But first party nintendo has been a cowardly retreat into refining and repeating previous successes for a long time. Any time something interesting happens, I assume it will be doubled down on until it is uninteresting again. Breath of the Wild was like, a breath of fresh air but I have less than zero hope for the sequel being as interesting of a departure as Zelda 2 or Majora’s Mask were to their respective sequels. Best case scenario is one interesting idea shoved into the same game as before.

You could make a case for the GBA and DS having some interesting stuff though: Wario Ware, Wario Land 4, Superstar Saga…that’s all I can think of for first party though…

anyway this is my half asleep thoughtless take but I stand by it for now

6 Likes

Hoping Dillon’s Dead Heat Breakers is on that list, I might be the last person on earth who remembers it.

3 Likes

12 - return to popolocrois

Oops this is way too high…ok let me explain. This game is, believe it or not, credited to the Epics / G-Artists. They’ve got actual living motherfuckers in the credits who worked on Philosoma for god’s sake. I played about 20 minutes of the game and thought, Popolocrois is cool right? everybody knows Popolocrois is cool even if you’ve never played it. Now the same exact people have made a new one. Sounds like hidden gem material…also the Story of Seasons aspects of the game are totally a marketing ploy and don’t really matter at all, which to me is a good thing…it’s a real brand new Popolocrois RPG in disguise.

Well this game is, as the forum kids say, pretty swagless…here’s just one minor example but it’s kind of interesting. Return to Popolocrois is one of those JRPGs where you move on a grid like a tactical RPG, and if you are in range of two enemies, then you have to pick which one…but in the original Popolocrois the game just skips the “move” step and lets you pick whichever enemy is in range (and shows you the steps you would take to get there). If you want to move without attacking you can do that using the menu, but the default is to just attack…it’s very nice & feels so modern. This minor battle system thing for some reason is emblematic of Return to Popolocrois’ shortcomings to me…there are a bunch of other more spiritual/vibrational reasons too.

Epics is probably the ultimate “what the hell was that company doing around that time” in this thread (along with the previously mentioned Mitchell & Sunsoft). If their last game was in 2011, then I like to think this was a 2012-2013 era 3DS game that got stuck in development hell, and bailed out by Marvelous (who specialize in bailing out small-medium Japanese game devs) and they had to make it a Story of Seasons spinoff in exchange for their souls. there is so much going on in the credits like they had a whole team that handled the stereoscopic effects, which feels like an early-era 3DS thing to do.

Now i’m playing the ps1 one and it’s so cool…it’s also way better than the psp one which is the one I was familiar with. they changed the opening in the psp one so there’s like no villain in the beginning, and also pietro discovers a major secret right at the beginning in the psp one…they really weakened the drama.

11 - 7th dragon iii code vfd
OK so the original 7th dragon…back in the day I know Sega poached the guy from etrian odyssey, and they also said fuck it & got Yuzo Koshiro to do the music as well. It wasn’t a complete rip off of etrian odyssey, maybe it was for people who got motion sickness in dungeons, or didn’t like seeing scantily clad children.

I didn’t know anything about the sequels until I played this one, but the first sequel (7th Dragon 2020, for the psp) is almost unrecognizable from the original game. They got Shirow “Soul Hackers 2” Miwa to attempt making bootleg EO characters. The cuddly console 2d jrpg vibe is gone and replaced with low poly 3d everything (that admittedly looks great), chibi character models, and menus that look vaguely post-persona 3/4 to me.

As far as I can tell, this 3rd sequel for 3ds is pretty much the same as the previous two sequels for psp. Why did they keep going with these games? I think they sold OK in japan but not amazing. the 2nd sequel for psp would have been kind of a natural stopping point. The company who made them, imageepoch, actually went out of business during the making of this game. The game is credited to Sega CS3 themselves. What happened during the making of this game? That was the mystery that kept me playing this slightly off kilter & depressing game. Why did they release a drama cd for this game in 2019?

The premise is actually kind of interesting, and up my alley…an apocalypse is about to happen in Tokyo, caused by a dragon…but it’s not the first time that’s happened. You have a time machine, and you have to go back to previous dragonocalypses in history in order to collect specimens from them, and prevent it from happening again in the present–however, it’s too late to do anything about it in the past, making for some very heavy & depressing vibes. on top of that, you can fight regular dragons as optional minibosses. they show up as low poly models on the field. If you get in a regular random battle while one of those floating dragon models is nearby, you’ll hear this horrible alert sound, and repeated warnings that the dragon is getting closer. You might end up having to fight this dragon miniboss at the end of a pretty hard regular battle, without any time to heal or whatever. it feels very heavy and apocalyptic, going from walking around in this dragon-doomed world to getting in a random battle and hearing this Incoming Dragon alarm.

The low poly environments are amazing. the dragons cause this orange & purple flower to bloom everywhere. The first place you go back in time is Atlantis which is beautiful. The hub area is just a giant modern office building. It’s full of very detailed/loving representations of stuff you find in office buildings, like cafes, lounges, cubicles, reception areas, piles of boxes. The hub actually makes no sense and 90% of it is empty/useless. it’s just a place to walk around aimlessly. again, the mystery of this game…Also Yuzo Koshiro is still on board. the battle system feels kind of broken or kind of dumb at least, as somebody who is not like a JRPG battle system breaker/minmaxer i felt like I had made the game really easy for myself within the first hour.

There’s a latin american guy sitting tucked away in the office building hub who talks about moving to Japan to work here. My screenshot tool messed up so I didn’t get it. He is probably supposed to represent this guy. All I remember is they did NOT just name the NPC “Oscar” and let him appear as himself…

14 Likes

10 - tokyo crash mobs
This is a Puzz Loop spinoff developed by Mitchell themselves. Actually when it said copyright 1998 I thought it was a port of some obscure ps1 game. That’s just the year Puzz Loop came out. But it really has the vibe of a later japanese ps1 game like suzuki bakuhatsu.

In the original Puzz Loop, you have a shrinking line of primary colored balls. This game instead uses people (“scenesters”) wearing monochrome outfits. You have to pick up & throw the people into each other to clear away the line, so you can try to be as close to the front as possible. They are called scenesters because they are supposed to be standing in line for something trendy that’s about to open. The game has excellent fmv cutscenes / digitized sprites / voices.

9 - super mario 3d land
Lately I feel like opinions on this game have cooled down a little bit, or maybe it was just one or two selectbutton posts I read. Personally, i haven’t played super mario odyssey yet, but that looks way closer to my ideal kind of 3d mario game, i.e. sort of excessive and uneven. I didn’t replay 3d land for this thread but I mostly just remember one or two of the bowser’s castle levels, those were pretty cool. Anyway i’m trying to say that 3d mario games are inherently dumb and shouldn’t try being masterpieces for purists like 3d land, save that for the 2d marios, instead give me weird stuff to explore and lots of it.

8 - Picross e series
When I got into picross finally during the making of this thread, I was ready to call it my favorite game-as-pastime and maybe put it at #1 as kind of a joke. At this point though picross to me is basically a flowchart where I do one of like 4 things, and some of those things involve just counting how many blocks are in a row over and over again. So it’s not #1 unfortunately…but these 3ds picross games are very nicely presented, especially coming from mario’s picross on the game boy which i was trying to beat on the virtual console.

7 - smt ds soul hackers

I have fully swung around from thinking soul hackers looked cool, to playing it and eventually getting tired/angry with it, to thinking about it now and deciding it’s great actually.

Earlier I was saying how the original smt and the series in general aspires to much older/crustier rpgs. Back in the series heydey the interesting thing with each new release was how much they added or what direction they took it to try and “modernize” the game. Persona 1-2 was probably the furthest & most decisive step they took at the time, but devil summoner / soul hackers is a kind of half step, for the hardcore saturn owners I guess. It feels on par in scope and ambition with the super famicom games, if they didn’t use such high fidelity character portraits then they could have released it on the sfc probably. it doesn’t really do much with its incredible setting/premise, but in hindsight I actually kind of like how laid back it is. I also think it’s neat how you and your girlfriend are the only human characters in the party, the rest is all demons you recruit. that was one of the things that annoyed me the first time…with a full party you burn up MAG pretty quickly.

6 - gaist crusher god

It’s time for the world to stop making jokes whenever somebody talks about the demise and/or rebirth of treasure co. ltd, ironically wishing for a sequel to gaist crusher. gaist crusher is legit pretty good.

My only frame of reference for this type of game is the cavia-developed Naruto game for the ps2 (which I made my friend buy because he liked Naruto and I wanted to see another cavia game in action), but I assume this format of game is pretty common. The format is: long cutscene->flat 3d stage with invisible walls & waves of enemies->another long cutscene. Is that really, at the end of the day, spiritually different from guardian heroes?

It has a fun gimmick between waves of enemies…the invisible walls disappear and a glowing point appears in the distance. You have to run to the point. then new invisible walls come up and you start fighting again. what’s cool is that you inexplicably start running like 50 MPH during these parts, and the camera dramatically lowers and goes behind your shoulder. (mysteriously there was exactly one glowing point during the final stage that you had to press A to teleport. so if you kept running at the point without pressing A, your body would just spin around that point with the camera whirling at vomit speed.)

Anyway so in this game you change forms between “mail form” and “weapon form”. In mail form you use your fists…in weapon form your armor peels off and transforms into a giant…weapon. It should have been obvious from how I just described it, but at first I couldn’t figure out the point of changing forms. I thought they were shouting “main form”. your defense is severely lowered during weapon form! duh. seriously, you had better be dodging every attack, especially boss attacks, during weapon form.

Speaking of dodging, you can only dodge in weapon form. The same button, when in mail form, causes a force field bubble to come out…you can also charge the bubble. whether you dodge or deflect, when you time it right, a very Treasury sound effect plays…it’s very nice.

There is a shonen-game collectable aspect to this game, that manifests as a treasure-like celebration of action game hit-button-feel-good. When you beat a boss you get a chance to obtain their representative mail/weapon. (“crash chance!”) you can then use that new mail/weapon (“geist”) on future stages. The geists all have elemental types and stats, and they are wildly different in appearance and attack pattern. some are fast swords, some are spears that you slowly twirl, some are just guns…every one has a uniquely fine tuned feel to it, and unique animations. It feels like a game with dozens of playable characters when there are really only a handful. there are a lot of missions, including missions that you repeat under different conditions, so you are supposed to collect them all and have different experiences with the various geists.

Also the bosses are somewhat monster-hunter like where you just stab the fuck out of something that is ten times the size of you, but you can also charge up your meter & transform into whatever boss you got your currently equipped geist from, and have a brief little kaiju battle.

I’ve already explained this to my mom a bunch of times, but gaist crusher “god” is just an expansion that contains the entire original game plus more missions, and it also tweaks a couple minor things that I noticed at the time but don’t remember anymore. (I think the cutscenes are easier to skip.) You can even transfer your save file. so it didn’t sell that badly for an expansion…I don’t think it single handedly killed treasure or whatever.

My biggest complaint with this game is the lack of grunt enemy variety, it’s a little ridiculous…but when 95 percent of the enemies are just palette swaps, it is shocking and enjoyable whenever you see those other 5 percent pop up. Also I find it funny that there is a GUI element that shows you how many waves/sub-areas until you reach the boss. It’s literally always the same number of areas in every stage.

16 Likes

I really love this thread . I had no idea the 3ds had so many weird games

7 Likes

Time for the boring stuff–actual good games…don’t worry, there will be an honorable mentions post later.

4-5: style savvy, rune factory 4, pokemon

I’m not really sure how these games shake out so i’m putting a bunch of games in 2 slots. The reason is…they are long! And i’m ready to finish this thread. they are good enough I think.

Style Savvy is the one I played the least. I immediately stopped because I knew I needed to save it for after this dumb thread/project is over and actually enjoy myself. Idk what I expected these games would be exactly, but I definitely thought there would be more numbers/stats. Instead it was like, the customer came in and descibed the kind of jeans they wanted. the game gave me prices, pictures, and a little description. It wasn’t matching some kind of affinity system or color coding or any shit like that. no glowing hints. I picked the jeans and I got what the customer wanted on the first try. it was a very basic task and I’m probably going to see seams poking out of the game the more I play, but I was enthralled by the mystery of it, the emphasis on nonvideogamey human intuition. there’s 3 of these for 3ds believe it or not.

rune factory 4, come to think of it, I didn’t play much either. too busy playing that forbidden magna lol. anyway if i’m trying to be interested whatever small, super famicom-era game developers are up to nowadays like I was with lord of magna, then this is like an actually worthwhile-looking Neverland game unlike magna. It seemed pretty great based on the intro/tutorial part, that late SFC game design overabundance is in full swing. also I trust in the power of a game becoming gradually and inexplicably popular through word of mouth…the people seem to really love this game.

Pokemon Y was probably the biggest upset of this whole thing. I never thought I was going to get into a pokemon game again. I learned the trick is to not play it like an actual jrpg and treat it like an entirely different form of entertainment. It’s a passive thing to barely pay attention to while you’re focused on something else. Where in a jrpg I would usually talk to every NPC and scour every location for stuff, I’m just trying to get from point A to B as fast as possible and skipping a lot. I don’t even play with the sound on or read the text boxes half the time. But the biggest change with me is that i’m dead set on filling the pokedex now. I never took “gotta catch em all” literally as a kid, I thought they were exaggerating, but now I thirst only to walk around in circles in the grass trying to find the less common wild pokemon in each area.

I was originally gonna put the etrian odyssey games in here too, but idk, I really have to be in the mood for those games lol. I have softened up to them a lot though.

3 - New Super Mario Bros 2
Here’s a real 7.5 out of 10 kind of game on paper, that I thought nothing of at the time and was pretty skeptical now, and it ended up being some of the most fun I had in this thread. Mario is awesome…2d mario is so good. I still havent finished my phd in level design criticism so I can’t really put it into words, but the level designs really speak to my sensibilities. It feels like the game is constantly trying to outdo itself like mario 3.

A lot of the publicity and resulting discussion of this game is around the coin colllecting. there are new items/switches/powerups that, one way or another, cause lots more coins to appear. One review excerpt on Wikipedia refers to an “obsessive focus on coin collecting”. that might be true if the coins had any actual role in the game design/progression other than just giving you more lives. You have a huge coin counter on the map screen, I think it’s like 8 digits, that shows the cumulative total of all the coins you collected. While you play, it’s fun to make coins appear, chase them around and hear the jingling sound. and it’s interesting to see that huge number keep growing. Is that really “obsessive”? I think it’s pretty chill actually. That pinball-like excitement of the coins…plus it creates a little unique aesthetic touch, there is a lot of yellow/gold on the packaging and onscreen.

Speaking of how the game looks. this game does something with 3d that kind of blew my mind. instead of the background depth changing when you turn up the slider, it just gets progressively blurrier. The correct way to play this is with the depth slider maxxed out. The backgrounds aren’t so great looking in focus, but blurred out the game looks so good…it looks like an lcd game background.

So anyway yeah that’s all I want from life is a 2d mario game in my pocket that I can casually pull out & clear some levels. the game is pretty challenging too if you really try to go for the 3 big coins. I am totally getting the wii u/switch one someday and I gotta get mario maker too…

2 - the alliance alive
I love seeing a developer take a game that didn’t do so well one way or another & make a sequel/successor that keeps a lot of the same stuff but knocks it out of the park. This game is exponentially better than legend of legacy, but they used all the same staff, except–critically–masato kato. Instead we got Yoshitaka “Suikoden” Murayama writing alliance alive. Instead of a slow burn about exploring an empty island full of sacred elements and spirits or whatever, we’ve got cat people gods who live in the sky, beast people overseers, and a human underground resistance. people get killed, ambushed, imprisoned, go blind…this game doesn’t fuck around. it’s using all of the 90’s jrpg scenario writer’s toolkit.

This game was also designed by and for people who specifically love the world map screens in the ps1 final fantasies. Seriously it looks exactly like that. And you spend more time on the world map here than you would in those games. on top of that there’s this “tower system” while you’re on the world map. you’ll see a big tower off in the distance. The tower is run by helpful wizard operators! the operator will send you a chat message on the bottom screen like “roger…commencing support.” and you will start getting some kind of big buff from the tower during battles. It’s like…what the hell? what kind of gameplay system is that. But I like it actually…you can go to the tower and it’s full of people hanging out! you can rest in the tower. It’s like a truck stop.

there is one part where you play as one of the wealthy cat people rulers but you’re in a junkyard. The people loitering around the junkyard offer to solve each of the block pushing puzzles for you for a fee. If you decline…you have to do the block puzzle. If you talk to each one after, they don’t have anything positive to say about your self-motivation or whatever…they each say stuff like “was that really worth the time & effort?” I love stuff like that…

I’m pretty early in the game I think. Hopefully it doesn’t shit the bed and my reputation is tarnished for naming it the #2 greatest 3ds game of all time. It lets you speed up battles 4x so it deserves the highest jrpg slot on this list for that reason alone. Also the game is very liberal with unlocking skills (it uses the Saga system again), it feels like you’re constantly winning prizes while you fight. Saga for dummies… Also the music by Hamauzu is great, when I got to the fire world and heard these 2 songs back to back I was like oh yeah, I’m gonna like this game aren’t I

None of the other games on this list are really good enough that I would recommend obtaining or even emulating a 3ds to try and play them lol…but this one is on switch and pc! It’s probably a bad port! but whatever! give the game a shot if it sounds interesting.

11 Likes

The #1 slot is a tie between koguga and attack of the friday monsters. Sorry everyone…I wish I could have picked irem’s pachipara 13 or whatever as the number 1 3DS game so that I could write something interesting, but instead i just wanted to point out that those two games are the best without saying anything else about them. You should check them out.

Honorable mentions!!

hakuoki: memories of the shinsengumi
I miraculously discovered this game after I had already finished messing around with roms. On my first pass, I just saw that it was labeled an “adventure” game, I took a quick glance at a video & didn’t register what it was. This is not just an adventure game…it’s an otome visual novel motherfuckers. From one of the (relatively) best selling and longest running series of otome games! How many of those do we get in english, let alone on the 3ds! Actually, i’ve been looking into the switch lately, and the answer is we’ve been getting a lot of otome games in english now…idk how this holds up against some of the better looking switch otome games. I think maybe otome is still peaking in the switch era which is cool.

steel empire
There are a lot of great ports of old games on the 3ds. everybody knows about those…i just want to highlight this one game. This is actually a straight up remake but I keep it in the same folder as all those sega 3d compilations lol. Have you guys ever thought about hot-b’s horizontal shooting games as much as I have? Those guys really desperately wanted to make a good one…there was over horizon for the famicom, and the gritty insector x remake. Steel empire feels like the culmination of their work and the fulfillment of their dreams…I play it out of respect for my hot-b. they were doomed to make fishing games forever shortly after that, and later lose the name hot-b (although I admit starfish is also a cool name) Is steel empire a good shooting game? Who cares…this exact version is also on switch btw

ex troopers
A new translation for this game came out after I quit…isn’t PS3 and 3DS a weird pair of consoles to develop a game for? You could have had two wildly different multiplayer experiences I guess. I guess that’s the power of the mt framework…I told myself when I quit that I would play the hypothetical english ps3 version in rpcs3 sometime in the late 2030s.

puyo puyo chronicle
This game is probably good. I’ve never heard anybody talk about it so I just wanted to remind people that it exists, in english. It’s basically an RPG but with puyo puyo battles, which should be enough reason for anybody to want to enjoy this game. But idk I thought I read a long time ago that it was like, completely different vibes than the recent games, like it was made by a different company of ex-compile people or something. But it’s just usual sonic team puyo puyo vibes. I think that minor disappointment made me quit which is sad lol.

The end!!

18 Likes

Thanks for your thread.

2 Likes

This thread kicks ass

1 Like