AKITOSHI KAWAZU

i have been thinking a bit on how Front Mission 3 and SaGa Frontier are sort of sister games to FF7 in a way. maybe that era of square gives me that feel. like those three games tackle three sides of the same quantum coin

i guess it would be FM2, though, since 3 was considerably later - in retrospect this doesn’t make sense!

but moreso SaGa. SF and FF7 have some weird sisterly elements… ok i give up

1 Like

I wasn’t very aware of AKITOSHI KAWAZU or his role in all these titles. I’ve just played through a few like the FF stuff and Mana, wondering what else’d be most recommended.

Well it looks like I’m booting up Saga Frontier, been an undercurrent building a while and now this.

TAKE SCREENSHOTS

1 Like

Most def!

The style of the backgrounds, for one!
The “modern tech but with dungeons” setting, too.

I’ll play Frontier too later following Felix’s advices since it’s been so long

I tried playing Frontier last night. I started Red, Blue, and then Assellus’s quests because I was just getting super wrecked. I… don’t remember much of my original play through except that I had a strategy guide and that I cheated the gold system for sure.

I remember playing a lot of SNES RPGs emulated with PS2 controllers and having L2 and R2 be FFWD and RWD. Does Retroarch let me do that? I couldn’t find an option for that in ePSXe.

red shouldn’t be leading to you getting wrecked too bad. you know you can move the battle menu left and right to see your other equips, right??

my memory was blurrier than i thought

2 Likes

Re: Red - I was on the Cygnus and got my first party member. The enemies are doing like 200HP damage a turn and I have like 300HP. It takes me at least 2 turns to kill a badguy and there’s a mandatory 4 badguy fight before resolving whatever quest I was on.

I think I am free to do whatever I want with Assellus’s quest. It’s kinda neat. I wish I knew where people were so I could recruit like… one more party member. But it’s fun going into dungeons and not knowing if I’m powered up enough or if I’ll even get anything. It feels a lot like the first time you play Dark Souls…

1 Like

you can get more party members at that part of Red’s quest, if I’m remembering right!

red’s quest is short, but it isn’t particularly easy if you don’t already know what you’re doing. the most fun i’ve had with SF is to just wander around and find cool shit. when i was younger, every little sidequest and tangent that i randomly stumbled across felt meaningful and rare and spontaneous. knowing exactly what makes all these things tick has dulled the excitement i felt initially just a bit. you can always get the info if you need it!

2 Likes

Yeah I figured that was the case. Unfortunately I’d already saved back on the Cygnus so I couldn’t go back to Shrike or whatever town I was in.

Once I get a little more work done on the new new game I’ll get back and play a little bit more. Assellus’s quest is fun! I definitely had a soft spot for green haired vampire girls when I was a teenager… guh

you can get more of them on the cygnus!!!

What how!?

the other rooms!!!

the “no healing outside of battles” thing is a bless

I was playing FFXHD another day and they introduced a thing where if you touch the left side of the screen a window pops up asking if I want to heal my party. The game doesn’t even pause for it, and the number of potions frankly doesn’t matter because they’re so cheap

There’s a point in FF games when you don’t have to use healing items during battle because the magic is more effective so you buy potions only to heal on the field, and then you start buying hi-potions just because you want to click less

But with this pop-up system it doesn’t matter because it’s just one press anyway

Why do I even have to press buttons in that videogame

Pretty sure you just delineated the design doc for FF12

1 Like

[quote=“teblus, post:37, topic:3777”]
FFXHD … if you touch the left side of the screen[/quote]

Huh? Is this on any touch device??

Vita, but also the screen on the PS4 pad I imagine.