ActRaiser SUCKS... or does it???

Sega and ACE Team just announced a spiritual successor to ActRaiser??? ACTRAISER.

It even has Yuzo Koshiro on tunes.

19 Likes

While nobody can replace beloved Quintet, ACE Team is an inspired choice, they love playing in the realm of gods and have an ear for portent and parody

…although that footage looks rather early and basic, and their roguelike platformer, Abyss Odyssey, was probably their weakest title. hmmm

1 Like

Oh no it looks like butt (well the illustrated portraits are cool) and the citybuilding is tower defense now nooooo

2 Likes

the original citybuilding was also (more rudimentary) tower defense! you had to work to cover up demon portals and stuff.

1 Like

That is not the same thing!!

4 Likes

cool

It will definitely look way better later. I find very often these sorts of games improve their visual impact and finesse greatly toward the end of development. Certainly, this is a common occurrence in game dev, where things very often come together in the final phase. but look at Travis Strikes Again or Bloodstained and others, we see that quality difference in the footage

1 Like

uh

that game’s coming out in like 2 weeks

1 Like

oh fuck i thought it was just announced for way later!

1 Like

Written by Jonas Kyratzes.

3 Likes

Oh, is it? I never played any of his games, but I know they had a bit of a reputation for pretense, or something. Other than that, I know nothing about the guy.

will the spiritual successor to actraiser be as xenophobic and colonialist as the original

if it’s not, or less aware of it, then it will probably collapse under its contradictions

2 Likes

it would be good if it actually tried to subvert the original narrative in some way, or at least explicitly problematized your actions

The original read as pretty blatant to me; I’m not sure how much you could push it before getting didactic

1 Like

the original read as very thoughtlessly reifying manifest destiny to me. I don’t like ActRaiser at all tho so I’d just be hoping an ACE team remake would be less repellant

yeah I’m on record as agreeing with you that it’s a little too unavoidably dismal as is but I don’t think “explicitly problematizing” your actions would be a remote improvement; taking something exactly as thematically dire and making it even more heavy handed would just be tedious

I would much rather see it divorced from all meaning than see someone take an earnest crack at “videogame: you are the colonizer”

Or satire, where being direct is almost never a problem; their Terry Gilliam- and surrealist-descended style might see them through. Though I didn’t see it in that video.

2 Likes

there’s plenty of good folklore inspirations for “charming idiot acquires large group of followers almost by accident” should they want to go that route!

1 Like

“whoops, I’m God now”

1 Like