achievements in graphical fidelity

for example, dislike the game, but it amazes me that halo 4 got this level of performance out of a 360

8 Likes

what they pulled off on the PS1 for Vagrant Story’s in-game cutscenes still blows me away

in the same year there was also Alien Resurrection

9 Likes

wow these are both really good. love the expressiveness on the Vagrant Story faces and the immersive body-feel of Alien Resurrection. i’m reading that the latter was one of the first dual-analog stick FPS’s, very cool

2 Likes

Kinda feel like all the super programmers like Corrine Yu, Doug Church and John Carmack all left games because it was a waste of their talents. Or maybe they thought their work was done? Definitely seems like we’re past the era of a single person being responsible for how a game’s graphics/performance turns out.

Anyway back on topic, Dishonored 2 is 8 years old and imo it’s still the best looking game I’ve ever played.

4 Likes

Sillent Hill 3 & 4 come to mind as among the best looking PS2 games, with the character modeling arguably being the very best on the system

DouglasMall

look at the visual fidelity of those fat middle aged guys!

7 Likes

I think we’re at the point where 3d rendering is just too complicated for one person to know it all to the point where they can push the global state of the art forward by some noticeable amount

Those names stand out because their technical achievements combined with rapidly advancing personal computers enabled new types of games/experiences that weren’t possible before. Now it’s possible that some fancy raytracing technique or something could be used for a cool game that wouldn’t be possible otherwise but nothing on the level of the introduction of Quake. And consumer computer hardware has been stagnant for at least a decade at this point.

Plus working in games sucks, the pay is bad, the hours are bad, shit gets canceled all the time, and have you met a gamer before? 2 of 3 of those names you listed went off to work in big tech where they make way more money and never have to think about reddit ever again

13 Likes

yeah it fascinates me why ‘gamers’ are always asking why ‘games suck now’. it’s like they don’t realize that games require labor, and that they are the most miserable and nightmare customers to ever exist

also, speaking of faces and expressions, modern hardware etc but i think death stranding looks absolutely brilliant

7 Likes

Yeah shit like that is cool

I think there’s a lot of room left to innovate in terms of animation and environment design but pure 3d wow? Hmmm probably not

1 Like

All I want. In the whole entire world. Is the end of clipping.

5 Likes

have you tried

idspispopd

7 Likes