ACE ATTORNEY SUCKS... or does it???

I really did not like Edgeworth 1.

Got the second one (J) on my flashcart mean to try it.

1 Like

OOOO IS IT TIME FOR ANOTHER ROUND OF SUCKS OR DOES IT

7 Likes

ive been meaning to replay the phoenix wright games anyway, whats the best way to get them in this day and age

i wanna get to the bottom of the suckage, a meta-investigation

Dangan Ronpa are the best Ace Attourney games, IMO

2 Likes

release order

I find the HD remake of the original trilogy, that (I think) began life on mobile phones before being ported to everything, to be one of the worst visual downgrades of any game I’ve enjoyed. If I ever replay the early ones, don’t know how I’m gonna even do it.

7 Likes

I played the originals with Drastic ds emulator on Android. If I ever replay them in my life, I would do that again.

1 Like

the iOS remake of Apollo Justice looks real good

I played the second Miles Edgeworth Investigation and, while acceptable, it’s nothing special. “Unimpressively decent”, to play with words that Felix likes :grimacing:
I haven’t played the first, but the consensus around the web was that it was much inferior.

You know, I just assumed this one looked bad too but you’re right, it does look way better. I guess it’s a case of a small team remaking three games at once in the original release, versus getting to pour effort into reimagining the presentation of a single title.

The HD trilogy characters lost almost all of their volume and look weirdly flat even though all of the shading was approximated. None of the line art looks right when you just trace over a sprite that was originally created for such a low resolution!

I just looked more into it, and even when they gave it another coat of polish for the Switch version of HD Trilogy and got rid of the rough edges, it still looks off… like, the higher fidelity just makes all of the posing and little perspective tricks in the courtroom scenes feel wrong the smoother it gets, and the low frame rate of most animations which looked great on a GBA screen starts to work against everything.

5 Likes

Franziska von Karma is one of the all time best though. There is a Prosecutor in one of the 3DS games that feels weirdly like a male Franziska and he’s boring as heck.

2 Likes

also interesting comparing the redrawn flashback stuff in Apollo that originally used GBA art in the DS game

1 Like

Yeah, the hd characters look horrible, similarly to Dual destinies

i couldn’t make it through the second case of apollo justice, between the lack of reason to like this new protagonist (with phoenix you were always kind of on the cusp of anticipation for him to grow out of his rookie phase and take control, so being thrown back into the shoes of an awkward clueless dork was unwelcome), every character being like a cookie-cutter stereotype with no believable internal motivations, and the suffocating levels of horny for teenagers

spew

OH WOW THANK GOD THEY BROUGHT BACK THE CREEPY DOCTOR CHARACTER TO MAKE ALL THE GROSS COMMENTS ABOUT THE NEW ASSISTANT KID SO I DON’T HAVE TO oh wow halfway through the first court session we get to see an image of her victimised and held at knifepoint phew i was already half on my way to drawing objectifying rule34 glad you saved me the trouble. oh it’s a good thing SHE was the first to bring up her panties, i couldn’t stand the tension any longer

i wouldn’t be so offended if it weren’t for the fucking cowardice of the writing, where it tries to pretend all this is like teehee cute innocuous anime shenanigans (silly you for getting ideas~~). i mean the first phoenix wright also has a number of jokes centring around an absurdly busty woman but at least it’s honest about what it is, there’s no dancing around the fact that there’s a blatant sexual element to it

what i think was always the draw of “revealing the truth” in these games was that it was always really obvious from facial expressions when a witness was hiding their true nature, and there was inherent satisfaction, regardless of game mechanics, in gradually drawing it out of them. but you get to that point in the opening case of apollo, and the witness literally takes off a costume and becomes a different character. there’s no longer a connection to real world human intuition. it’s that tendency in increasingly corporatised entertainment of repeating a “successful” formula without understanding the underlying reason why the formula exists.

tl;dr more like appallo justice right

4 Likes

I enjoyed 1 then thought 2 and 3 were tedious slogs with good final cases then thought apollo justice was just a slog the whole way through and haven’t played any since except for the tutorial to great ace attorney

That bird lawyer game seemed like it might be good. I think I quit because I went to a bunch of wrong places in the investigation part, or was just bad at the game. (investigating progresses time and losing cases is an option so it doesn’t care if you find anything or not and have to show up to court with nothing)

1 Like

where can i play these? there’s only one on steam and i think it’s the prequel? been curious for awhile but the price tag makes me stay away

the first 4 phoenix wright games are pretty much the ones i recommend anyone play. after that it seems like a drag. this thread reminded me that i never beat pw 6 and prob never will because i wasn’t good at the new mechanic and i didn’t care about the story that much. the apex for me is pw 3 ( it’s probably my favorite out of the first 3 ) because the arching story wraps up and there’s a sense of doneness.

everything after 4 felt like there were too many characters. i didn’t like athena that much ( i prefer apollo ) and the crisis that hits the characters again doesn’t seem as compelling because there’s a formula present and you can see it by the time you get to pw 5. just get the trilogy on sale or by other means and see for yourself.

i never played edgeworth investigations 1 for more than an hour because i couldn’t figure out what to do. much like edgeworth ( who is totally worth loving ), it made me feel stupid. i’m grateful to the friend that sent them to me though and i may have to try again someday.

1 Like

Oh Layton v Ace Attorney was great. I had a wonderful time with that one.

there’s just the one game I believe. they got it on rutracker for a 100% discount

3 Likes

i got this confused with jake daedalus or whatever it’s called. this looks cool tho. i can’t torrent unfortunately but it’s on gamestop for 15 bucks so i’ll keep it in mind.

oh sorry I missed what message you were replying to. there’s a collection of jake hunter games for the ds. they did a half assed badly translated release called “jake hunter detective chronicles” first, then they fixed it and rereleased it as “jake hunter detective chronicles memories of the past” so that’s the one you want. and there was a recent one called “ghost of the dusk” for 3ds. and then there’s the prequel/reboot daedalus thing they ported to steam. everyone seems to say that one’s not so good though. I think that’s all there is in english so far.

3 Likes