chaiya chaiya

urvasi urvasi

chikku bukku raile

enna solla pogirai

uppu karuvadu - a real country ass song

azhagana ratchasiye

pachai nirame

14 Likes

This has been part of my Daler Mehndi playlist for years.

One time a coworker from India made fun of me for how I pronounced Daler Mehndi’s name, and he was right to do so.

7 Likes

chaiyya chaiyya is such a banger it became a regular part of my road trip mixtapes

6 Likes

loved this song in raavanan!!

also reposting poovukkul bc i found it in hd

4 Likes

kadhalikum pennin - i forget the context of this movie but what a great music video

jiya jale - bilingual classic, preity zinta is so beautiful

ae ajnabi

anbe anbe kollathe

aaromale - a western country song

3 Likes

kannalane - banger rhythms in the intro

oh maria - most early internet 90s vibes ever

and of course have to have some songs from Ponniyin Selvan. Both Chola Chola and Ponni Nadhi are absolute bangers, he really went off with these, instant classics

oh and lagaan songs. Chale Chalo = banger of bangers, Ghanan Ghanan might be my actual favorite song tho

6 Likes

was on Instagram and got reminded about Taal Se Taal Mila… thought “that must be Rahman” and ofc it is. this man’s output is staggering

2 Likes

raavanan

this movie looks beautiful I gotta watch this. nice violin interlude

2 Likes

WHAT!?!?

3 Likes

oh here’s a live performance… maybe lipsynced idk

3 Likes

hello mr ethirkatchi – woke up with this one stuck in my head, it’s funky

3 Likes

remembered one of these as i was about to go to bed and the other one naturally followed - two examples of the fascination 90’s india had with western aesthetics, and the music reflects it as well, also it’s a bop obviously

mukkala mukkabala

romeo attam pottal (this one looks desynced which is annoying but whatever)

3 Likes

just watched ponniyin selvan 2

3 Likes

I looked up the lyrics of this and it’s astounding how many words the lyricists fit into this basic rhyme scheme. and all that in what is essentially period 10th century Middle Tamil (which to give context, even schoolchildren in Tamil Nadu today are familiar with Middle Tamil, hell I grew up memorizing 9th century Pandya hymns). But nevertheless a massive achievement, to have wordplay and nuances of pronunciation of this level.

Rhyming for example “veera” (brave one, warrior) with “veezha” (veezh being the root for ‘fall’, -a being the suffix of negation, hence “veezha” = he who does not fall = invincible )

Or “nadukal serkkum veera” meaning “warrior who amasses hero stones

It’s a shame, I could cover this whole movie but especially the song lyrics in translators notes about why the Tamil used is so good, but it would take all month

2 Likes

https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/entertainment-others/deboo-choreographed-an-escape-sequence-in-raavan/

reading about the film’s production, this song sequence was choreographed by a famous contemporary dancer i think (the article is in reference to the hindi version of the film raavan but they were filmed concurrently)

2 Likes

Urvasi Urvasi is my fukken jam. I’ve always been a little disappointed in that it appears to be a one-off in that I’ve never found another Tamil/Indian song that has as much of what feels to me like an electro element.

4 Likes

yeah this record is absurdly good

2 Likes

saw today that they have uyire (tamil dub of dil se…) on usa netflix

2 Likes

this comes on my youtube autoplay a lot i havent seen this movie great song tho

rlly like this album

1 Like