A L I E N

much like a lot of modern videogames, this seems a lot more rewarding to work on than it is to actually consume

4 Likes

Felt like I got some Alien but not-quite-Alien themes w/ Raised by Wolves. Also pretty skeptical they can capture the right tone, but Iā€™ll probably at least try to watch it anyway!

noah hawley alien on earth series will literally be worth it for set design who even cares about the story might watch with the volume off

6 Likes

prequel series entirely about the mundanely psychotic early life of paul reiserā€™s guy from aliens

no aliens whatsoever just a corporate toad coming into his own

6 Likes

Probably just nostalgia but I think an Alien series would be cool. Iā€™m still kinda bummed the Neil Blomkamp film didnā€™t happen; say what you want about his films as of late but I always thought he could direct some great action sequences. It kinda seems like Hollywood is purposely weeding out decent action directors? Like, what happened to the Crank 2 dudes? That just blows my mind.

I donā€™t understand

1 Like

10 Likes

New Alien 3 adaptation just dropped.

1 Like
1 Like

Alien is a fascinating story because itā€™s not just a monster movie; itā€™s about how weā€™re trapped between the primordial past and the artificial intelligence of our future, where both trying to kill us. Itā€™s set on Earth of the future. At this moment, I describe that as Edison versus Westinghouse versus Tesla. Someoneā€™s going to monopolize electricity. We just donā€™t know which one it is.

In the movies, we have this Weyland-Yutani Corporation, which is clearly also developing artificial intelligenceā€”but what if there are other companies trying to look at immortality in a different way, with cyborg enhancements or transhuman downloads? Which of those technologies is going to win? Itā€™s ultimately a classic science fiction question: does humanity deserve to survive? As Sigourney Weaver said in that second movie, ā€œI donā€™t know which species is worse. At least they donā€™t fuck each other over for a percentage.ā€ Even if the show was 60% of the best horror action on the planet, thereā€™s still 40% where we have to ask, ā€œWhat are we talking about it, beneath it all?ā€ Thematically, it has to be interesting. Itā€™s humbling to get to play with the iconography of this world.

1 Like

am I wrong in feeling that Alien the first, as a single movie, didnā€™t really hit me very hard? i guess itā€™s different now thatā€™s itā€™s diffused into pop culture so much, the chestburster singing ā€œHello My Babyā€ in Spaceballs and all that. I was hoping for something creepier and more profound but it was just kind ofā€¦ a survival-horror creature movie inferior to The Thing (which I had just watched). maybe I didnā€™t get it

is Aliens 2 better? the fact that it has space marines has me a little suspicious but it seems like an interesting premise

couldnā€™t disagree more, I adore the original, nothing like it, The Thing is fully derivative imo, nothing really to ā€œgetā€ though

2 is a totally different movie, early James Cameron, tons and tons of action tropes, comparatively donā€™t love it

8 Likes

massive difference for me is that the thing can ā€˜beā€™ any crew member, whereas the alien can ā€˜reside withinā€™ any crew memberā€¦ that makes a ton of difference in tension and pacing

2 Likes

its been a long time since i watched them but alien 3 was the only one i was ever into

aliens especially isā€¦ not my jam

thatā€™s a good point, but the scenario design in particular of the first one is just out of this world ā€“ the way it sets up the borderline indentured servitude to the mining company (with a bunch of great middle-aged working actors!), the way they encounter the alien planet, the set design as a whole, and it being basically the first of its kind in the ā€œeveryone dies one by one genre,ā€ are all standard-bearing

9 Likes

aliens is supposed to be this cool idea of space marines versus xenomorphs but the space marines are all annoying idiot jackasses and the xenomorph goes from being some lethal apex predator in 1 to being an ant swarm that pops like balloons when theyā€™re shot in 2, never got what was the big deal with this movie that itā€™s responsible for like 90 percent of scifi videogames, I didnā€™t see it til late though, maybe this was just the best they could do back then. the ships and stuff do all look cool.

10 Likes

word that makes sense, i did appreciate the late-capitalism-in-space vibe with the disposable workers. the alien planet is beautiful too, especially the egg reveal and the giant chair or whatever. H.R. Giger went off

1 Like

yeah, the thing does probably just as well with the premise once the stakes are established and the walls start closing in, but beyond those walls itā€™s likeā€¦ very cheap, not a lot else to it

1 Like

Yeah I donā€™t know how to deal really with the idea that Alien is ā€œjustā€ some creature feature as if that is either true or itself a criticism. Also pitting it against The Thing is just setting yourself up to never like another movie like them ever again, theyā€™re easily the co-chairs of the committee.

Aliens has this old rep as the Most Awesome!! and there has been a reaction against it lately but the truth lies somewhere in between. Cameron has never not been an excellent technician and there are some really awesome lines, moments, and shots. Itā€™s not an enduring canonical artwork like Alien but itā€™s still cool. And still anticapitalist, basically. Dumbshit Cameron Avatar anticapitalism, but at least you can still root for it.

7 Likes

My new inventing a person to get mad at is someone who likes Outland better than Alien.

Iā€™m mad BC they have a point

3 Likes