A Cool Grotto Full of Bugs: Hollow Knight

I am still playing this game and I like it quite a bit. But the Crystal Peak enemies are kicking my ass. I had many cases of dropped inputs that made things even worse (on the Switch). I have bought the new Hori Split Pad Pro controller and this is certainly much more responsive and better… But this area is still very difficult! Are there any upgrades that I am supposed to collect, to be able to make it easier?
Before this, I have beaten the Soul Master.
Any advice?

1 Like

Have you pursued upgrading your nail? Also, don’t neglect to change your assortment of badges (pins? I forget what they’re called) situationally, sometimes it helps.

In my first playthrough, I went to Crystal Peak early because I saved up my early money for the lamp, figuring that a map progression item is probably more valuable than combat upgrades. It’s definitely a bit of a difficulty spike and I had some trouble with it.

For me the Crystal Peak breakthrough was to decide to skip the midboss. It initially seems logical to fight him because he’s guarding a savepoint but it’s not actually. The entire path up to the goal is easier than half the path plus the midboss.

2 Likes

Thanks, this is helpful. I got to the midboss and it was being really hard (and not fun, at some point). I will try to kill it later, after I manage to find some suitable upgrades.

I’m playing this game! I got trapped by spiders and killed the spider god and now everything is covered in orange goo what the actual fuck!!!

7 Likes

I spent 20+ hours playing the game with an unupgraded Nail and I am unreasonably proud of myself for basically making every boss fight last 3x longer than it would have otherwise.

I’ve still only knocked down one of the 3 major pillars - still digging up as much as I can outside of those. I don’t know what to do about those weird Darkness Doors!! I beat a Dung Beetle in fair combat and that was my favorite fight so far.

Oh and fighting Hornet the second time was hard as hell but cool as hell too. I’m glad I did it with my shitty nail.

4 Likes

I got bad end, 78% complete. Will try to get good end on plane to Branson so I can ask @wonder_momo what the heck is going on in this game

5 Likes

I am loving this game. Still playing it, since I dont have much time. It keeps throwing at me more and more new things (now, the dream world and dream bosses).
Even if it’s often directionless, there is constantly a lot of stuff to do, and progression automatically occurs because of it. Backtracking is also quite pleasant because platforming immediately takes advantage of the new abilities, and there are a lot of previously unaccessible areas to exploit and lots of secret to discover.

6 Likes

Yeah I think this is something that is pretty remarkable about this game. Lots of games give you new combat abilities at a good steady pace, but movement options seem to usually be front or backloaded. Hollow Knight pretty evenly distributes your additional platforming options so most of the game is spent revising how one interacts with the world.

5 Likes

To me, this is the Super Metroid for today’s gamers.

2 Likes
1 Like

I have collected all the charms and I am close to finishing this game. Just a question: is the Godhome interesting or is it a boss rush that I can skip?

I skipped it and have no regrets

1 Like

5 Likes

Hollow Knight music is so good.

You ever think about the final boss when they stab themself as a boss attack but it also is a possible indication that despite how corrupted they were, there was a part of them still inside there that knew what the knight was doing and was helping out??? and start crying

6 Likes

when i saw them do that it was shocking and sad, so not quite crying but yeah i do think about it!!

1 Like

I finished it. I loved it.
3rd spot as my favourite Metroidvania (after Cave Story and La-Mulana, probably before Guacamelee).

Can’t wait for the Hornet-centered sequel. :grinning:

1 Like

I didn’t think I’d be ready for more so soon but I find myself really wanting to play it

2 Likes

>enter a misty, ethereally-lit cavern full of unusual flora and floating jellyfish with glowing orange cores
>try attacking one of the smaller jellyfish, it unceremoniously dissipates into bubbles
>cautiously approach a larger one, take a swipe
>the inner core reveals itself to be a heat-seeking ballistic missile, immediately smacks me into a wall, and causes a screen-enveloping explosion

alright

7 Likes