A Cool Grotto Full of Bugs: Hollow Knight

i am up to the City of Tears in this and it is fast approaching an all-time, capital f Favorite.

ive decided i really like the slow character advancement and how that goes hand in hand with charms. It feels like very considered player disempowerment, that i have to choose between having more power in combat and being able to do things i take for granted like see my position on the map, or not worry about knockback from my attacks. All the while getting stronger in that slow Metroid power curve so that even when i have to compromise on my charms, i never feel like i’m getting put back to square one.

HK wears its Souls influence on its sleeve but it is in pleasantly subtle ways like that disempowerment/empowerment arc, as opposed to the usual suspects like “stamina bar” and “iframes”. it feels like they took more away than the surface elements.

Scattered notes.

*How cool is it that you get a Mega Man X-ass wall slide/jump, and before a double jump no less
*Love the little enemies who rush at you covered in big leaf bodies. They feel very Yoshi’s Island
*Also love the big exploding jellyfish in Fog Canyon and how you’re encouraged to treat them like a hazard instead of attacking them
*This game has a bestiary! A good one written with an in-character voice. And it’s a cool character
*the teleporting ground pound soul guy boss is tough and i haven’t beaten him yet, i love the fakeout partway through the fight. All the bosses in this so far have felt perfectly pitched and a lot of fun to learn.
*i am a little tired of boss runs though. after playing a whole series that utilizes them front to back im not sure they can afford what they’re trying to buy, design-wise. With bosses this tough i want a little more rapid iteration
*Cloth is adorable. i want a plushie of her

7 Likes

they really hold out on the double jump in this game. I was lowkey hoping that you just wouldn’t get one, but I like the way they implemented here. it’s weighty and slow and requires some attention to execute it to get the results you want. it’s not just a floaty brain dead thing like it is in so many of these games.

it is amazing how after a certain point the game is basically non-linear. feel like a lot of metroidvanias don’t actually have to balls to do that either.

3 Likes

my partner’s fighting Hornet in the missy place right now and it’s so interesting to me how similar it is to a Samsh Bros fight in terms of spacing and timing

also they’ve gotten real good at this? so fascinating to see a non-gamer take on something with that Souls level of difficulty and rise to it

2 Likes

update: now i’m playing too. this game is not as hard as it looked lol. just got the mantis claw and wow movement feels good all of a sudden!

It’s the most Just Right difficulty ive experienced in a game in some time.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I don’t think this had been teased or anything before, just a lot of fan input for something with Hornet far as I recall. Very cool after how FINAL the last DLC was laid out.

I assume that this DLC will involve playing as Hornet. That’s an exciting thought; her moveset in the boss fights seems like it would lend itself well to some weird and satisfying platforming. I’m also glad to see that the previous DLC wasn’t the last, because I found it to be a deeply underwhelming conclusion to the game.

Only one I started after the vanilla content was Grimm Troupe, and even then barely so maybe I should get back on the Stag.

This was all a lot more planned and committed to than I realized:

2 Likes

where’s that “vidcon song that sound like other songs” thread, and furthermore, does this count

6 Likes

6 Likes

I was not expecting this update to be this huge

2 Likes

!!! Holy fuck a flat-out sequel starring Hornet !!!

1 Like

What the FuUuUuUuUcK!!

They straight up say “The second game by Team Cherry” in the trailer! This looks even better than Hollow Knight in basically every way!

3 Likes

As Hornet, princess-protector of Hallownest, adventure through a whole new kingdom haunted by silk and song. Captured and brought to an unfamiliar land, Hornet must battle foes and solve mysteries as she ascends on a deadly pilgrimage to the kingdom’s peak.

Hollow Knight: Silksong is the epic sequel to Hollow Knight, the award winning action-adventure of bugs and heroes. As the lethal hunter Hornet, journey to all-new lands, discover new powers, battle vast hordes of bugs and beasts and uncover ancient secrets tied to your nature and your past.

Game Features

• Discover a whole new kingdom! Explore coral forests, mossy grottos, gilded cities and misted moors as you ascend to the shining citadel at the top of the world.
  • Engage in lethal acrobatic action! Wield a whole new suite of nimble moves as you dance between foes in deadly, beautiful combat.
  • Craft powerful tools! Master an ever-expanding arsenal of weapons, traps and mechanisms to confound your enemies and explore new heights.
  • Solve shocking quests! Hunt down rare beasts, unearth ancient mysteries and search for lost treasures to fulfil the wishes of the downtrodden and restore the kingdom’s hope. Prepare for the unexpected!
  • Face over 150 all-new foes! Beasts and hunters, assassins and kings, monsters and knights – defeat them all with bravery and skill!
  • Experience a stunning orchestral score! Hollow Knight’s award-winning composer, Christopher Larkin, returns to bring melancholy melodies, symphonic strings and heart-thumping, soul strumming boss themes to the adventure.
  • Challenge Silk Soul mode! Once you conquer the game, test your skills in an all-new mode that spins the game into a unique, challenging experience.
4 Likes

@DaPieDevil, they know

3 Likes

i just started playing this and i’m at city of tear and i’m impressed with how big and spread out everything is

lots of ways to explore and not a lot of ways that closed off so far

i love being a lil guy wielding a tiny nail

every bug is really cute

10/10

5 Likes

Another good game about bugs.

1 Like

Team Cherry revealed some new characters for Silksong, but they are buried in a very lengthy blog post.

Looks nice. Not sure I’ll pick this up though. I love, love, love everything about Hollow Knight except for the boss battles. I have a bad time with every boss battle, and I’ll probably never finish the first game because of that.