7/10

i actually really like the concept of a 7/10 list, all my favorite games are 7/10s. someone start a thread (not me)

12 Likes

For context, my best 7/10 games of all time list (made with Topsters) was arrived at by looking at games I really like, but did not score higher than a 79 on Metacritic. I think a valid interpretation is also ā€œthis game reviewed well but I think itā€™s at best a 7/10ā€.

To answer @meauxdalā€™s aside:

saw you put far cry new dawn on there, wonder if youā€™ve had a chance to play 6 yet and if so, what do you think about it?

Iā€™ve not played FC6 and Iā€™ve no current plans to, but it probably fits the 7/10 game classification based on what Iā€™ve seen. Iā€™ve played many of the Far Cry games, but New Dawn was the most paint-by-numbers one of the them. However, it was a good excuse for a friend and I to shoot the shit and we ran into some hilarious bugs. Additionally, the ending cutscenes are all-timers as far as Discount Bin Game Acting goes, IMO.

11 Likes

Probably a valuable distinction to be drawn between ā€œgames that I personally think are 7/10 but still like well enough to spend time onā€ and ā€œgames that journalists think are 7/10 that I think are 10/10, get fucked journalistsā€

13 Likes

Most games I like these days are 7/10. I find that 10/10 games have been fully captured by the hype cycle and as a result outlets have to rate them at 10 because thatā€™s what the expectation is, regardless of whether theyā€™re good or not.

a 7/10 for me is most 10/10 AAA games. I think the last one being Ghosts of Tsushima. The game is seriously impressive in a lot of ways but has some pretty deep flaws in level design, sword encounters, and a few other things (upgrades? yeah). Thatā€™s a game a lot of people consider a 10/10.

I would have probably rated GTA 6 a 7/10 due to the writing, and the shooting mechanics still not being much better than GTA 3! Saints Row 4 really trounced this game in terms of mission design and writing, but thatā€™s a ā€œ7/10ā€ game.

8 Likes

i feel like even way back, 7/10 from a magazine meant the game was either ok or wildly stronger than the stuff that got high marks

like, one of the magazines i read gave dmc3 7/10 because it was ā€œmore of the same oldā€

also project zero/fatal frame was in that review range. from soft games were LUCKY if they got a 7.

hell, these days iā€™m considering the 5/10 range was probably a mark of quality too. this is where espgaluda and unlimited saga ended up in this one swedish magazine and i know for a fact one of these is a videogame of all time

13 Likes

i feel that quite a few games nowadays, e.g. Nier Automata, would have been a solid 7/10 around the 2000s, when they actually were released just at the right time to become a 9/10 or 10/10, probably due to a gaping lack of mechanically satisfactory games that could match them when released (i.e. the AAA-space and their risk-averse, streamlined gameplay basically ensures that a well-produced, mechanically sound game can become a big hit.

Best 7/10 example I can think of (relatively) concurrent games:
Control

6 Likes

I guess I should also be clear that the second category is meaningless to me because I have no idea what game outlets think of games or how they review them, I have never entered the url www.metacritic.com in my life

5 Likes

Metacritic doesnā€™t seem to have scores for much before the PS2 era. Also, some games I would have expected to be at least in the 70s were much lower (such as the entire Disaster Report series).

I donā€™t really care what reviewers think of games and the cutoff is of course pretty arbitrary in some cases but this was still a fun exercise because I was able to include some games that would have been crowded out if it were simply yet another list of my favorites.

If I spent more time on it I could probably come up with a better list but I like this one well enough.

15 Likes

I tried to do a 1 game per console thing. (Thatā€™s mega drive sailor moon.)

6 Likes

feel like a lot of the games out there that are perceptibly 7/10 s that i would put on a list like this are my 10/10s, and usually that 3 point difference has something to do with really abrasive or ā€˜badā€™ elements of those games that i just so happened to inadvertently connect more with. not necessarily who ā€˜gets itā€™ or not, but the ā€˜choiceā€™ the developer would make that unarguably splits its playerbase between those who are or are not okay with being jerked around with a bit to get to the good stuff

1 Like

For my personal ratings I think I donā€™t do out of 10 I do the gamepro face

EWdn_-nWkAA14Og

11 Likes

She poor fair my good ā€˜til I great hot.

10 Likes

I think the vast majority of the games I play are Good, as illustrated in that scale. Plenty great, perhaps only a handful I have considered Hot

2 Likes

to me, ā€œ7/10 gamesā€ as a concept described itt is implicitly down on the idea of rating games on a number scale in the first place. a 7/10 game has something ephemerally good about it despite seemingly evident flaws, it lands for you on a personal level that doesnt carry through to objective metrics. its a 10/10 for you and folks who share your likes, its lesser for people who dont

replaying Dragons Dogma recently that is imo a top-shelf 7/10 game. clearly unfinished in places, often repetitive, poorly optimized UI thatā€™s a bit of a slog to navigate, weird flat storytelling, systems that are poorly communicated and/or plain donā€™t make a lot of sense. and i fucking love it to pieces

or to pick another off the top of my head, Okage: Shadow King is one of my alltime favorites despite playing like a pretty bland poorly balanced RPG. tbh its one of the best arguments for cheat engining your way through a turn based rpg ive ever played, you dont get a lot new out of the mechanics after the first 2 hours (of to be fair about 10, max). BUT every single other thing about it is my dream RPG and it has such a close personal place in my heart that (among other ideas from the secretly really clever story & setting) i flagrantly stole one of the PCs from it and made her one of my OCs lol (Rosalyn/Rosalie the parasol knight)

6 Likes

WinBack is a 9/10 game for me, Iā€™ll go to bat for it any day while Grabbed by the Ghoulies I canā€™t really argue with others rating 6/10 or even lowerā€¦much could be said about the others in between, such is the magic of 7/10

4 Likes

This is a nifty list. I feel like Buck Bumble should be on there for some reason.

3 Likes

Damn, I shoulda put Shadows of the Empire and Jet Force Gemini on my list. Those games rip. I think N64 games rarely hold up, but Iā€™d play those any day.

5 Likes

absolutely gutted

4 Likes