5 games that give a feel of who you are.

oh my god was it tim that said snipperclips is a game you play with someone you want to fuck? i was playing it with my housemate one time and the vibe got like, a bit too friendly

2 Likes

this is a fantastic post jsyk

1 Like

it does set the mood, yes

at least with the 2 player modes

not sure how the 3/4 player content would feel

That might have been me because I’ve been saying that since the first gameplay footage. But also it’s so true that I could see anyone saying it.

You penetrate and reshape each other as a cooperative activity. That’s… That’s a lot.

4 Likes

I wrote this when I was semi-depressed I think so the minecraft one is a little dark, let’s try again.

Katamari Damacy
Castlevania SOTN
Deadly Premonition (but only up to the sinner’s sandwich)
Kirby’s Epic Yarn
Harvest Moon - Friends of Mineral Town
F-Zero GX oops that’s six

snipperclips is a game i play with my wife when i want to get in an argument about something pointless

4 Likes

Yeah, I played snipperclips with my gf once and we didn’t get into an argument or anything, but it was definitely less of a flirty experience and more of a frustrated-maneuvering-around-pieces-of-ikea-furniture-and-accidentally-hitting-each-other-with-screwdrivers experience.

3 Likes

The only person I’ve played Snipperclips with is my mom…

tlbnue

11 Likes

this was what it was like with my partner yeah but i think that was partly coz i’d solved the puzzles in my head while they were still figuring out the controls (did u kno there are ppl who haven’t played vidcons forever) and partly that like, i think it’s a very particular vibe y’know? like it’s intimate, and exploratory, but if that’s not what your relationship could use right now it can get frustrating i feel

3 Likes

this has to be the most i’ve written about games all year

3 Likes

Bingo, this was the case for us as well.

2000 words sell it to Polygon.

2 Likes

Lemmings - Effectively immune to narrative expansion or mechanical improvement, despite also being a bit tedious to play in the year 2018. A simple set of mechanics endlessly iterable across infinite stage variations that all come down to clever arrangement of Deluxe Paint images.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - I still feel a sense of discovery and specificty of locale when wandering around this world and its towns and dungeons that sends me right back to my jaw-dropping experience of discovery in the winter of 1993.

SMT 3: Nocturne - Hang out in a fallen Tokyo, play how you like with the demons that you like, everything is smooth and slick and also disturbing and arcane, punch demons in the face, then punch God

Monuments of Mars - Basically broken, more meaningful to me for the weird specificty of the places where I played it (at a friend’s house once, on an old monochrome Compaq portable computer I paid too much for late at night in my bedroom in my teens), but also deeply inspirational to me for its use of a very narrow library of objects and backgrounds to create a lot of stage variation. Invisible switches are bullshit, but the kind of bullshit I at least grudgingly like.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - I mean, yeah. I like this basically more than any other game, which has been true for almost as long as I’ve liked games and was even true in those times when I said I didn’t like games.

8 Likes

I was originally going to make 2 separate lists: games that give a feel for who I am as a person and games that give a feel for who I am as a game making person. Then I started working on the latter first and I realized it said a lot about the former actually, which both makes a certain amount of gratifying sense and also makes me a little melancholic.

THANK YOU FOR ENJOYING THIS EXCLUSIVE BEHIND THE SCENES LOOK AT THE MAKING OF THIS LIST

3 Likes

I love this thread and this community. I promise to play every game mentioned so I can truly Get a Feel for Who You Are. When I first read this thread as a lurker I thought I was going to post something but ~oops~ never did. Now it’s time to put things right that once went wrong.

Chulip - Love is good. Toil is stupid. I still listen to the soundtrack.

Earthbound - Enormous growth comes with going out in the world and facing fears and anxieties. I may have come to live in China in part due to this game.

Sonic Mania - This is the best version of a game so integral to what I find joyous. Sonic is cute and cool. He unironically rules.

Riven - I frequently go through periods of obsessing over cultures from other places and times. Riven shows how that can be good and bad.

Bubsy’s Back - After playing this, I had the opportunity to go to a James Turrell exhibit at Pittsburgh’s Mattress Factory. It was a :moaineon: experience.

17 Likes

dyad
polybius
amplitude
torus trooper
thumper

8 Likes

Looked at this thread again and I just wanna say, you’re tubular!

3 Likes

people are posting these lists again on twitter so i reread this thread and it’s good

6 Likes

Yeah my previous list is, as predicted, outdated now

This is pretty accurate if redundant. If I were to re-do it (for the second time) now, I’d try and find five facets of myself that were a bit farther apart. Like, Kirby, Katamari, and Harvest Moon overlap a lot. Let’s see…

Katamari Damacy because of my obsession with scale and love for a good pun
Castlevania SoTN because I’m a maximalist who loves faux-gothic architecture and mystery
F-Zero GX because despite my conservative and protective nature, I really do love speed and adrenaline, plus the over-the-top animeness of the character theme songs really gets to me
Factorio because it’s a game filled with problems that I obsess over
Opera Omnia because it’s stuck with me for, what, 15 years? And it gives you an idea of how much I think about the politics of systems

Yeahhh I think that gets at me better. Okay, cool.

1 Like