360° Degrees of Xbox S * X: Series one (xbone original)

you should buy the Otogi games before From and Sega stop being generous

also Guardian Heroes HD

and for some reason, the Xbone and X Series are better bluray players and media machines than their Sony counterparts

1 Like

How so? I’m curious.

1 Like

well, notably, the PS5 lacks Dolby Vision support as I’m typing this, which is a big deal if you care about such things

the Xbox also has UWP apps, which means you don’t have to deal with the system level player and can instead just download and use Kodi

this is more personal but I like that I can change the audio output setting on Xbox on the fly, so I can force it to send a 2.0 LPCM to my receiver and then turn on ProLogic there without having to mess with cabling (IIRC, to do the same on PS4, you needed a separate audio connection; my setup was HDMI for video and main audio and if I wanted to push stereo, I needed a toslink hookup done as well)

4 Likes

The 360 rerelease of Guwange is still the only recent port I think? Otherwise, yeah slim pickings

1 Like

Unless I misread the conversation, Guwange is on 360 BC

You should buy it before Cave decides to port it again for more money like what happened with Trigger Heart Excelia (delisted last month but there’s a full price switch port coming out in December)

2 Likes

i haven’t regretted my series x yet, it’s kind of like the perfect contemporary gaming machine for me, in the sense that i bought an Xboner Uno in the generation before and have enjoyed just casually playing stuff on game pass that pops up.

the only real thing that sucked was the fact that some of my 360 digital downloads didn’t port over through my account when i changed over, so for stuff like Nights into Dreams and VF5 i had to spend another 5 bucks to get em downloaded and some stuff like Jet Set Radio isn’t even available at all

2 Likes

I keep wanting to buy a Series X just to play Otogi in 4K. Wonder if I should get one before the next gen just so I can have the disc tray, unless MS is going to slowly phase out discs too. A dedicated blu ray player might be better anyway.

1 Like

Is the Series X the final disc drive? What about my GameStop tendies.

The xbox has dolby vision… but only for games and streaming. It doesn’t support dolby vision for blu rays which is maddening!!

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/display-sound/dolby-vision

2 Likes

Sign up for Game Pass and download all of the indie games that look interesting. I just finished Tunic and I’ve moved onto Solar Ash.

3 Likes

Hey this fucking rules. This is the best. This is life changing. Thank you…

1 Like

I just got the Xbox Series X. Having only just got the Xbox One S in 2021 when they refreshed the UI to match the new console, and bought the Series controllers to go with it…the new Xbox is exactly the same. The setup prompt, the system apps, the settings…everything. it makes it feel kind of…not new lol. In fact, when I went to go wipe the old Xbox, I got confused and almost wiped the new one. But I’m still excited.

I haven’t actually played any games yet lol. I hope they look good. Dragon’s Dogma 2 is in the mail

It is BEEFY on its side. god. It reminds me of a PSX? (the DVR one) which I haven’t actually seen in person. but that’s the size I picture

Here’s the best part. I think it was only a year ago I tried using the old one to play audio CDs? The “CD player” app and everything seemed really broken. I mean it kind of worked but there were error messages and controls frozen. Well this time on the new one it downloaded windows media player, not “CD player”, and it seems fine. Maybe there was an update and I could have just tried again with the old xbox? Oh well. also, I don’t remember if I tried dvds, blurays, or uhd blurays on the old one, maybe I was scared of stuff people said about it being completely broken, but I tried all 3 on the new box and it seems fine. maybe just the HDR sucks which…did I mention I have this thing hooked up to a blurry LCD TV from 2009? It’s like the equivalent of connecting a PS3 to a CRT with composite…and anyway if I really want a movie or show to look good I’ll get a pirated version…which I can also watch on the Xbox thanks to Kodi. It’s like the ultimate all in one media machine.

The CD sounded really bad which scared me until I realized voice mode and spatial audio were turned on on my sound bar. After that it sounded great. While testing I discovered the most galaxy brained way to listen to music…start a CD on the xbox, plug headphones into the wireless controller, and bring the controller into the other room…lol.

In 2020 before I decided to get the xbox one. I decided I would be really into dedicated devices. I have a separate uhd blu-ray player and a cd player. Now I can get rid of all that stuff including the xbox one. Welcome to the future…

12 Likes