2D Beat 'em Ups that aren't Streets of Rage et al

Kung-fu likes? Oh god what is the name of Kung-Fu in Japan? Why cant i remember it ahhhhhhhhj.

Spartan X

1 Like

This is an upload with better sound.

Try this one. Of note: The US version of UC Cops, aside from the name changes, also has worse sounding music. IIRC, they also removed/changed up the movesets of the characters.

Which is a crime, because the UC Cops soundtrack is sublime. Iā€™d recommend taking a listen at stage 3 on both versions; the instrumentation differences really show there.

1 Like

Arcade, NES or other?

I say NES because of the ridiculous flying knee.

1 Like

I havenā€™t played this but Nekketsu Oyako looks real weird. The second stage has you fighting inside a whale against blobs with arms that say ā€œH2Oā€ on their backs and octopi with boxing gloves. The sprite-work is nice though.

Legit PSX longplay:

Saturn longplay with a ton of dithering:

Bizarre emulated monster version where the sprites are blurry and deformed and donā€™t meld with the backgrounds (oddly entertaining):

If the overhead fighting of Gaiaopolis counts, then surely Ikari III does as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP6Hyi1A-po
This entry in the Ikari Warriors series features punch kick and jump buttons instead of shot and grenade like the previous game. What it does keep is the rotary stick (though some cabinets just have 8 way sticks and the dip switches can support this even though it is inferior) and that rotary stick is a lot of fun for grappling and roundhouse kicks and hooks. Itā€™s a brutal quarter muncher but itā€™s still a real joy with a fun soundtrack

Also from SNK in the military theme is POW. The NES version is a lot more joyful to play. The arcade has better graphics but the play is a little behind the Speccy version of Renegade. The NES version offers some powerups and a few neat setpieces to compensate for smaller sprites and it works out great

3 Likes

God damn, this game is gorgeous. Look at that character animation for pulling pillars out of the ground.

Taitoā€™s 2D output has always been so weird, graphically ā€“ inconsistent and internally clashing styles.

1 Like

The only one that is close to NES is TGCD I think. I never played that one but I hear itā€™s as crunchy. Arcade has the aesthetic but is pretty terrible.

and they say videogames donā€™t teach good values

Growl/Runark has the most bizarre final boss of any beat 'em up. Iā€™ll let anyone who doesnā€™t know about it just watch that video to find out why. Also features a completely inappropriate platforming stage full of falling and explosive hazards. Really short stages compared to other belt scrollers, too, but thatā€™s probably a good thing.

1 Like

My immediate response to Growl is SHBROOOOM

1 Like

Last Battle, for genesis. I remember some kid at school in like 1st or 2nd grade kept going on about this game like it was the best game ever made, I donā€™t think it is though

1 Like

Be sure to check out the boss battles and that ending, not to mention the fluid animation and apocalyptic backgrounds.

2 Likes

Oh. This isā€¦ just the Fist of the North star game I linked, but with different names andā€¦ sort of different sprites.

oh weird. seeing the still frame of that is probably what even made my subconcious remember the game by the time I got to the bottom of the thread. should of kept up on my last battle for the sega genesis development history.

Beltscrollers and fighting games of the 90s, forever misleading impressionable youth as to the efficacy of the jump kick in close quarters fighting

last battle was ported to the amiga, so itā€™s one of what i assume is a very small club of anime-based amiga games. the only other one i can think of off the top of my head is the akira cd 32 game.

Speaking of Fist of the North Star, check out the blocky gibs and parallax here.

Vendetta stuck out to me when I saw it run at ADGQ a little while ago. Itā€™s mostly bland all around but things like a giant steel sign that reads ā€œCRIMEā€ crushing you and some really good graffiti have stayed with me.

slime balls rule ok

1 Like