2D Beat 'em Ups that aren't Streets of Rage et al

What’s worth resurrecting? a genre hard to do in 3D? The great characters of Hagar, guy in gi, guy in shirt, maybe trans-maybecrossdressing prostitute? It’s from a far gone era. Capcom used everything from it eventually.

And even people that play it never talk about Final Fight 2 and 3 the way Genesis kids talk about Streets of Rage or MAME peeps talk about AvP or TMNT or The Punisher.

1 Like

Is the slowness in this video the game’s speed is or just computer slowdown?

“gender ambiguous” and “sex worker” would be great things to visit in games if it weren’t accompanied by hitting them with steel pipes

4 Likes

Sorry I brought it up.

Nah man Im sorry for being a more forceful jerk there. Whyd I even do a thing.

I quite like Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker, it’s a beat-em-up/run-and-gun hybrid that tries to avoid overt violence to stay on brand, and it winds up feeling a bit different and creative with its inexplicable spirit power semi-ranged attacks.

1 Like

It’s ok! You more or less answered my question anyway, didn’t realize the other games in the series were so poorly received.

I’m just in here waiting for @loki to post more weird Chinese walk-fighters. Isn’t there one from Water Margin too?

Final Fight 3 (Tough) is a solid game that is well worth playing. It has really cool grappling, movement and fighting game style special move inputs.

Everyone should play Night Slashers, it’s secretly in the upper echelon of belt scrollers.

1 Like

I used to love Undercover Cops. I later found out the art was done by the dude who went on to do Metal Slug. Instead of the knives and pipes on then ground, you could uproot utility pools and swing them.

Does anyone know if the US will be getting that River City Ransom remake with the low res photographic backgrounds? That’s one of the coolest styles I’ve seen for a pixel-y game lately. Reminds me of those weird Bubble Bobbles clones that would have photos of the pyramids and whatnot as the backgrounds.

1 Like

Didn’t some people around these parts say Streetwise was good

I still reference the RESPECT UP meme from that game

final fight is still one of my fav beat’em ups because it’s just so colourful and 80S CARTOON PUNK

also mighty final fight is pretty ace

um how about splatterhouse 3

1 Like

splatterhouse 3 is okay, but the first two are way better in every way, even if they’re not belt scrollers.
final fight 2 becomes a significantly better game if you play it on hard.

i’ll write about some chinese beat em ups in a bit~

2 Likes

okay, so first, this is shui hu feng yun zhuan for the mega drive. i think this is based on the water margin?
anyway, the production values, and the quality of the game in general are way above what you’d expect from an unlicenced game.
it mainly plays like a china-themed golden axe. there’s ga-style magic bombs that come in a whole range of different flavours, though they do the same thing, just with different graphics. as well as looking good, it also feels great to play, with satisfying attacks and lots of different enemies that have their own tactics and so on.

next is the yang warrior family/yang jia jiang, also for mega drive. it’s a lot lower-quality, unfortunately. it’s got ugly sprites, dull backgrounds and atrocious animation. even worse, your attacks look, sound and feel weak. don’t bother with it.

also, there’s a game boy single plane beat em up i wrote about a couple of months ago called school fighter, which is not only excellent, but also the anti-piracy protection was cracked by sb’s very own takashi!

5 Likes

I streamed all the Splatterhouse games (save for the last-gen reboot) a year ago on my twitch and Splatterhouse 1 remains a classic. The second throws in a bunch of weird ideas and eventually culminates in a mess of an STG-style final boss that you can’t possibly expect your slow avatar to overcome. I beat it anyway, but I doubt I’ll replay it.

Splatterhouse 3 is irredeemable trash. It has interesting ideas (time limits determining a branching storyline), but it’s a joyless experience. I beat it, but hated it all the way to the end. The first thing that comes to mind is that if you drop a weapon, a ghost will come from off screen and disappear with it. I don’t even understand why this was necessary, since weapons already have limited uses, and there are some rooms where being hit is unavoidable.

I wanna say it’s just the game’s speed. I remember when the F3 driver first got put into Mame all those years ago and sound would end up garbled from not running at full speed, whereas that video sounds fine.

edit: eh, I’m posting here, might aw well throw something in

It’s got this weird mixed-media thing going on with the sprite work (the inserts are definitely animation, but the rest seems a mix of pixel art and scanned illustrations) and a bunch of fancy looking depth tricks. Not to be confused the similarly titled Arabian Magic from Taito.

You would probably be better served playing Revenge of Death-Adder for a fancy-lookin’ Sega arcade punchman (it still hasn’t received a port):

Yeah, like, besides whatever the hell is going on with the bass in stage 4’s theme, this kind of looks like a perfect videogame. I’m a little surprised I’d never heard of it before.

I thought people knew Data East is the secret best game company

4 Likes

Windjammers is a strong clue

3 Likes

Battle Circuit is my favorite game in which to be a carnivorous plant.

There is one pretty good soundtrack split between the SNES Final Fight games.

There are dozens upon dozens of mostly insignificant Street Fighter 2/Mortal Kombat clones for PC, split among all the prominent game developing nations (at the time). I sometimes so wonder if the same would have happened with brawlers if you moved certain things backwards or forwards in time. As it is, there probably isn’t even 1/5 as many DOS/Windows beat-em-ups

Surely Japan has some name for flat/single-plane side-scrolling beatems like Battle Zeque Den or various 21st century superhero games on portables.

Double Dragon 2 will always be my favorite beat’em up. So crunchy.