1995: the suckiest year ever for vidcons?!

Okay so we got Chrono Trigger which is one of the best games ever BUT!! there’s almost no good games this whole year?? Was this the year that all these developers realised they had to start building 3d teams and teaching them how to use an SGI workstation?! The final year where devs could get away with using the cd-rom as the digital equiv of a whoopie-cushion (death of FMV games in this year)!!! the year you sold your amiga and bought a 486 or a saturn/ps1 and played some truly awful launch games like Bug or Jumping Flash (don’t @ me).

ALTERNATE THREAD TITLE: what are the good 1995 video games?

Here is my list:
Chrono Trigger (see above)
Marathon 2 & Dark Forces (best doomclones ever?!)
Yoshi’s Island (by shigeru “fuck donkey kong country” miyamoto)
Panzer Dragoon & Magic Knight Rayearth (first and last gasps of 3d, 2d sega games)

Please post in this thread and make your case, cheers.

Earthbound
Skidmarks
Dream Course
Jumping Flash

2 Likes

That’s a 1994 game. 1994 owns, we’re not talking about that one here.

1 Like

Oh, Descent too

and You Don’t Know Jack

and Strikers 1945

and Wipeout

1 Like

Mechwarrior 2
System Shock
Descent
Full Throttle
Crusader: No Remorse

Okay, that last one might not necessarily be good but I love it to death.

3 Likes

the first system shock was so far ahead of its time that pretty much nobody played it (and not just in the obvious ways; it didn’t originally support mouselook despite having fully vertical environments, it only ran on computers that had been released in like the last two years, and it didn’t ship on CD with full audio until like four months after its original release date and completely stole its own thunder).

But yeah duh Mechwarrior 2

2 Likes

System Shock and Descent were 1994. Look, I know you guys really wanna talk about how much 1994 kicked ass but plz keep it on topic.

The worst Lucasarts Adventure Game.

1 Like

I mean

maybe descent was like some Liverpool midnight’s children shit

1 Like

1995 is full of games it would kick ass to blast cigs to

2 Likes

Weird year for arcades, a lot of fighting games that got immediately obsoleted in 96. A lot of b-grade 2d action games (I’m looking at you banpresto). I guess everyone was playing puyo puyo 2 and virtua fighter 2 that year. The situation definitely had to do with devs adjusting to 3d I think if you compare 95 to 96.

We think of 95 as late for the Super Nintendo but that was still prime super famicom. Front mission, tactics ogre, dragon quest 6, romancing saga 3, seiken densetsu 3, shiren, tales of phantasia were the blockbusters plus a whole lot of marginal but excellent games.

Mega drive had dried up by that time but we still got alien soldier & light crusader that year lol.

Pc engine the situation was perhaps worse but we still got sapphire, Linda cube and ai cho aniki which are cool I guess.

3 Likes

OH YEAH if we’re counting the original Japanese release of earthbound then definitely tactics ogre and shiren!!

1 Like

now we’re talkin

hmm
is “i don’t think chrono trigger is that good” my one too hot for sb take

but yeah there are definitely worse years than 95

1 Like

for example, 1895. definitely a worse year for gaming

6 Likes

Also: Warcraft 2 and the first Heroes of Might and Magic, and Worms?? Maybe not the best representatives of their series but certainly very good games.

3 Likes

actually i take it all back

6 Likes

what has 2008 given us

2 Likes

Oh yeah? Feast your eyes on the arcade games of 1895! There were such wonders as:

• 1/2D Pinball

• Automatic Medical Electric Machine

• Soda Mint Gum Dispenser

• Try Your Twist

• The Sure Thing Wheel

E3 must have been wild

6 Likes

Yeah. On these three games alone, 1995 basically defined the back half of the 90s for me.

Um, and Llama Masters 2 was 1995. Sorry. 1995 was great.

6 Likes