10,000 Bulletins: No One Can Stop the Presses! (Part 1)

Ah I didn’t even think of that. If only I hadn’t finished MI and MI2 before trying Day then I could be consistent. Oh well.

These remasters look pretty nice. I really respect the Special Editions of the Monkey Island games as good practice in remastering a videogame. Day of the Tentacle Remastered seems good in the same way

Monkey Island 2 Special Edition is a grotesque mockery of one of the most impressive technical art showcases in videogame history. Remasters almost without fail always ruin 3 things: sound design, shaders, and alpha channels.

6 Likes

The ones done under Disney ownership are quite nice if only for the high quality audio sourced from the DAC tapes.

1 Like

Yeah MI2 Remaster is a mockery of the original. It had live sound engine that was reactive to everything and they replaced it with .wav

4 Likes

Oh I didn’t know. I guess I mostly enjoyed flipping back and forth between old and new grafix, and I don’t think the new art is so bad a reinterpretation. The commentary and having the option to see the original visuals is very cool, and something I’d love to see in more remastered editions, but that’s a shame if it’s not very authentic.

Besides the sound, were the graphics messed up too?

wish I could give this 100 blood potions, I agree so hard

That’s terrible about iMUSE, and it makes it worse that the first commentary track in the special edition is about the debut of iMUSE and how great the track that plays over Woodtick is.

the revised OST in MI2 Special Edition was arranged by several people i know who are originally from the OC ReMix community, providing further proof of its deeply cursed and satanic nature.

9 Likes

Full Throttle is the greatest point n click adventure game ever made so either play it first or save it for last

3 Likes

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure.

1 Like
31 Likes

16 Likes

honestly love the idea of finding a run that’s like “WR ANY% HOT PLATE”

13 Likes
9 Likes

Since Another World runs on a fairly simple virtual machine, it’s theoretically pretty easy to port to other systems.

Thus this port (in progress) from the pico8 Doom dev:

6 Likes

Here’s a Japanese article on the DQ run that seems to get Google Translated decently:

Apparently it’s a bug that happens when holding down power+reset under certain conditions. Some runners need to heat their system, but others need to cool their system with an ice pack for it to work.

1 Like

so that’s still using the polygon character models? the Pico-8 can just grunt through that at low enough resolution?

1 Like

yeah, i expect we’ll get more details as the project goes on (likely more than a few pico-specific optimizations) but to avoid rewriting the original bytecode it would have to interpret it as polygons in some fashion, yes.

pico 8 is pretty powerful in some ways, so if you know how to manipulate it correctly you can get some pretty impressive results out of it. every function in pico 8 has a virtual CPU cost, so optimizing in pico 8 is often about abusing the powerful ones that are relatively under-costed. certain things – like blitting sprites to the screen – are sort of “hardware-supported”, and thus much faster than drawing it pixel-by-pixel with the more primitive functions. that’s why the introduction of tline (analogous to hardware supported texture mapping) suddenly made doom possible in pico 8. the number of low level function calls needed to do texture mapping is very expensive relative to the cost of just calling tline.

3 Likes

Polygons in Another World are flat untextured and unshaded so if you can draw horizontal lines fast enough then you’re good to go

2 Likes