10,000 Bulletins: No One Can Stop the Presses! (Part 1)

21 Likes

not that I’d ever trust nintendo to ship anything with decent netcode but it looks like that person is getting zero bars of wifi

6 Likes

That audio kinda rules

6 Likes

How is the Switch Online N64 emulator worse than the Wii Virtual Console emulator and in some cases in the Ocarina of Time Master Quest GameCube port? It’s truly bizarre.

1 Like

the short answer is “UltraHLE” – N64 emulation is very inefficient, and you usually have an option between painstakingly reimplementing a lot of undesirable aspects of the original hardware with degraded sound/timing/blending, or implementing equivalent function calls, and (like PS2 emulation, its hideous RDRAM brother) most of the code that the community has produced for doing so has been a) constantly rewritten and b) in its agreed best forms was until recently tied to like, DX9 implementations that are themselves not that portable

libretro has a tendency to claim they’ve reinventing the wheel (as does a lot of modern emulation, granted, they aren’t as bad as the FPGA community in that regard) but ParaLLEl – Libretro is honestly the first portable, modern N64 emulator that passes muster in a lot of ways (which is not to neglect the historical contributions of Project64, sixtyforce, and so on), and it’s too new and incomplete for Nintendo to somehow use

13 Likes

2 Likes

and both of these definitely used an N64 emulator that was initially written for a single game on specific PowerPC 750 + AMD 9000 hardware and expanded ever so deliberately. I imagine this code is effectively mothballed

3 Likes

neat

NERD just wrote an emulator (or at the very least ported one) for 3D All-Stars

I don’t doubt the idea that they took that one, added delay-based netcode and called it a day

3 Likes

lmao glad i’m not paying for this

8 Likes

Yeah, the Mario All Star one seems like a brand new one

Some more stuff in the replies

okay, that’s great

how do the real games in the GEN/MD pack fare

3 Likes

Nb: parallel has already been ported upstream into the mupen64 core, it isnt as incomplete as you make it sound, its been a year since that initial blogpost and they’ve made strides

3 Likes

this bud’s for link

4 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

shoji meguro is leaving atlus to make his own development studio. hopefully he plans on doing the music for his games too!

2 Likes

Because that just might be all it has going for it.

https://twitter.com/s_megarock/status/1453215065113513987
lol

eta: even if it looks like shit, i can understand not wanting to just do music anymore.

3 Likes

Looks like up until just recently, he’s been working on this solo? Idk, I’m interested to see what this turns into (it could be unremarkable).

1 Like

I guess with Smash done it’s open season for everybody else