10,000 Bulletins: No One Can Stop the Presses! (Part 1)

For a less reductive example, the Arduboy is only 55 bucks and comes with hundreds of games and encourages people to make their own games for it. The playdate is vastly more expensive than its closest counterpart with no percievable advantage, which is what marks it out as ‘games as a status signifier’ object.

Headphone jack.
USB-C port instead of Micro-USB.

are we going to have a whole debate about the merits of having editors and commissioned works and compensated venues to “publish” in

because like, that’s interesting too and by no means a foregone conclusion, and if anything I’d rather not make the playdate the final arbiter of it because I think that’s giving it too much credit

4 Likes

playdate seems like the thing that should only be allowed to exist after full communism has arrived (though communism would only arrive when the various currents of desire and status anxiety that give rise to a playdate in the first place had been stemmed off or otherwise neutralised)

3 Likes

I’m late to the playdate discourse but y’all see the playdate color?

8 Likes

Wow I haven’t stopped a video that quickly in a while

12 Likes
10 Likes

I :heart: Arduboy.

Some my favorite games of recent years have been Arduboy games.

Castleboy is an excellent Castlevania game.
Do You Remember Love is my favorite Macross game.
Virus LQP-79 is an excellent Zombies Ate My Neighbors-alike with a better control scheme then the game it was inspired by.

It’s very impressive what has come from years of community game development, but it has taken years of the Arduboy being a thing before they could put out the Arduboy FX that has hundreds of games on it.

Panic will be releasing the development tools for the Playdate for free and have repeatedly stated every Playdate is a dev unit. Will that be enough to capture the lighting in a bottle like dev scene that the Arduboy got, probably not. It would be great if it did though. Time will tell I guess.

I’m still hyped to have a thing that comes with 24 professionally developed games.
Whatever else does or doesn’t happen pretty much everyone who buys a Playdate will play those, that’s kinda neat.

There is some potential for either commercial and/or hobbyist gaming to succeed on the Playdate. I don’t know that either will, but 24 games is more games then I typically buy for any given system anyway, so even if it flops that’s still far from nothing.

Arduboy is the best hobbyist all-freeware game system. There is no commercial avenue with Arduboy though, all games have to be open source freeware. That is itself a limitation of sorts.

The developers of Virus LQP-79 were easily one of, if not the most popular Arduboy developer, but they were pretty open about how their goal was:
-Get real good at making Arduboy games
-???
-Profit?
and they got real good at making Arduboy games, couldn’t think of any way to turn that into money and then stopped.

And as much as I like the Arduboy, even in the off chance I ran into someone else who had an Arduboy, I wouldn’t expect to be able to discuss Do You Remember Love with them, they probably wouldn’t have played it.

If the Playdate succeeds even marginally, if I run into someone else with one we have at least 24 games in common we can discuss.

If the Playdate succeeds, great.
If it fails but convinces more people to get into Arduboy - also good!

10 Likes

ha hahaha haha

fuck, man

2 Likes

the conversation around playdate always brings me back to this project started at ucsd called playpower that was using $12 tiny computers that were normally packaged in those “128-games-in-1” things to teach kids programming:

it’s a good idea imo! and the idea was to create a community of people making tools and games for it but it ultimately ended up becoming yet another VC-funded educational games thing making apps

i dunno i wonder how much of this kind of stuff starts super cool and ends up kind of neutered because of Market Forces

9 Likes

this looks cool

6 Likes
2 Likes

Are those character designs from the aria of sorrow artist?

the latest round of the selectbutton poll is now open for discussion

4 Likes

Catching up on the alleged ‘summer of gaming’ and just saw the trailer for Palworld and it’s even better than the screenshots @shelter posted. It’s not easy for games to stand out in the glut of trailer releases at an event like Guerilla collective but this did it.

Also Varvarion

God damn

4 Likes

i hope palworld comes to ps4

wow varvarion looks like on of my japanese animes, i hope that does too

2 Likes

this is true of so many things here tbh. i’m basically fine with it i guess? it does get tiring

i try to make up for it by being relentlessly negative about stuff everyone else seems to like, but that’s hard!

11 Likes

this game looks sick

it also looks sick

2 Likes

for the record, Ooparts is actually dumped and playable in Mame

1 Like

can @mods change my title to “blade battle stimulator” pretty please :slight_smile:

3 Likes