10,000 Bulletins: No One Can Stop the Presses! (Part 1)

well goddamn, there goes the rest of my gaming budget for the year maybe (this assumes I’m going to be able to order one, which is probably incorrect)

A special edition for our SB Spelunkerheads:

9 Likes

In honour of Valkyrie being added to Apex next week, Titanfall 2 is free over the weekend on Steam:

(I don’t think this grants you an indefinite license, but you can play it for free over the weekend I think. and you should.)

3 Likes

yeah, this consumer-facing list is the same one Sony will send you if you’re pitching to them right now. “How will your game use our exclusive features?” with three winks that they’ll be happy if you can make up something halfway plausible

“Seamless handling of resolution switches for drop free gaming on titles that switch between 240p and 480i.”

:star_struck:

4 Likes

it’s essentially the same tech that’s in the GBS-Control firmware now… I’ve got one of the GBS-C AIO units and it’s pretty slick. works great for Saturn/PS1

the motion adaptive deinterlacing is also similar to a feature on the GBS-Control, and is similarly fantastic for PS2 in particular

1 Like

i wonder how much it costs to get terry crews to post messages on his twitter account

2021-04-30 11.56.13 twitter.com f1cf05bb631c

9 Likes

Are there different use cases for this and OSSC or are they meant to do pretty much the same thing?

legends tell that in the ancient past there was really no good way to play old games on your LCD. one day the framemeister appeared which is a) very expensive b) looks really good c) only one frame of lag which at the time was the best you could do basically

people complained about it because it was kinda the only way to go and cost way too much. then the OSSC appeared and it is kind of a DIY version of the framemeister but it a) is much harder to use b) is much cheaper c) can look much better d) can do less than one frame of lag

then later on more consumer friendly options started appearing like the retrotink-2x, which is like a low-end version of the above. the retrotink-5x surpasses basically every similar device that currently exists.

however, the OSSC Pro was announced awhile back and is in development, and might compete or be even better… just at a much higher cost

and then there’s GBS-Control firmware for GBS devices: great, kind of a weird middle solution that doesn’t look quite as good as an OSSC (until the 5x, OSSC has been the absolute king in terms of picture quality) but has a lot of flexibility (downscaling, motion adaptive deinterlacing, fast res switch - basically the few things the OSSC famously can’t do)

5 Likes

to be clear, it remains to be seen whether or not the 5x actually looks better than the OSSC for that full-on reference quality capture stuff, but it looks vanishingly close if not better, and i believe it can output higher resolutions

it may lack the superfine granularity of the sampling and phase of the OSSC, but it allegedly handles all of it automatically with quality at par… experts who’ve used it agree

2 Likes

alright looks like the 5x is still slightly worse than the OSSC in terms of video quality with perfectly dialed in timings - it’s 4:2:2 and the OSSC is 4:4:4

still, seems like you’d probably want to use the 5x in most cases even if you had both

2 Likes

oh gosh I’ve never really thought about whether there’s a perceptual difference between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 when it comes to like, old games being displayed on LCDs

fwiw I think of 4:4:4 as exclusively worth using for analog → digital film or tape masters, I would never ever encode an access copy that way

apparently you can only tell if you get right up next to the TV, there’s like a pixel column of color bleed

1 Like

The population is up over 5x normal :slight_smile:

is there cross play with origin or do I need to redownload it and unlock flatline again

I’m not sure I could get more enjoyment out of it than at my peak but I’m tempted

Cross-play with origin, same with apex

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa fine ok who here is playing tomorrow

I need to get some practice in because this was the only online game I ever played in my life that I would consistently win and I will be very ashamed if I lose that status

voting is now open for the latest round of the selectbutton poll

3 Likes

mark mothersbaugh is doing the soundtrack to this game, so take it up with him I guess

fuck I guess I gotta get ahold of some shrooms

4 Likes