Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

I read some rumors that the next Assassin’s Creed game will take place in ancient Egypt, predating all the other games in the series by thousands of years, is starring a character that Ubisoft is considering doing a trilogy for that would send them to ancient Greece/Rome while sailing the Mediterranean, and won’t come out until 2017. And that by then the series will be on a bi-annual release schedule instead of annual.

Hoping that’s all true even if they don’t really end up truly revamping the gameplay. Just having them come out less often and in a more finished state, development-wise, would be really welcome.

Not only are those AC Egypt rumors around, but the game is supposedly being made by the Black Flag team. That’s the only AC game I’ve ever really loved, so this sounds like very good news to me.

For 2016, rumors seem to be that Ubi is going to fill the hole of no big name AC game with Watch Dogs 2, set in San Francisco. I actually enjoyed the original game quite a bit other than the dolt of a main character, so I’m really pretty excited to see where they go for a new entry. Seems likely knowing Ubi that maybe they’ll try alternating bi-annual AC and Watch Dogs games (in addition to the Far Cry and Tom Clancy franchises, and some oddball stuff like the very interesting looking For Honor).

Wait wait wait wait wait why isn’t that game called The Descent of the Tomb Raider

1 Like

Watchdogs San Fran in 2016 sounds to good to be true, won’t believe until it happens.

I’ve been dragging out finishing Driver San Fran because i don’t want it to end (sorry poor mr. tanner but you enjoy skipping into Ford GTs as much as I do, right) and having yet-another-SF-game would be a nice treat imho.

xcom 2 looks sort of astonishingly good

1 Like

Beagle or go home

the fight with that officer is a good example of why xcom’s probability-based mechanics are a system that’ll never be completely satisfying. but i say this as someone who devotes most of his time to a tabletop game so i’m a complete hypocrite. i’m still surprised that when invisible, inc came out, everyone else didn’t just drop what they were doing and ask why they weren’t doing that.

the face/body middleware and dressup game are much stronger now, though, which is probably the thing i’m most excited about after actual tactics. also grateful that overwatch-spam is discouraged and that the “pod activation” metagame looks at least somewhat fixed.

i know that squads implausibly never communicating with each other is a stealth trope, but it still bugs me. it’d be an interesting threat to have to deal with, anyway: it would force trade-offs between staying behind cover and not getting surrounded, keeping your squad together and splitting it up to keep all the enemies from converging at one point on the map, etc.

Made a big ol’ thread for XCom 2 since I just realized all the old threads are gone, like tears in the rain.

the old site is still backed up, it’s just that MySQL does not get along with Discourse on this server due to AWS bottlenecks so I have it taken down for now. they’ll be back eventually.

1 Like

This would be cool…

They’re just referencing the year of the monkey. Don’t read too much into it, much like Sega’s Super Monkey Ball picture for new year’s.

:cry:

The closest we got to a new Amusement Vision-SMB was a minigame in a 500 yen Vita app for Yakuza 0. No idea if it’s worth downloading/paying for as Vita downloads are region-locked. The full-fledged SMB Vita game (don’t know if AV/whatever Nagoshi’s team is called now did it) was probably supposed to be good? It had a random level generator…

http://kotaku.com/rockstar-north-boss-leslie-benzies-is-out-after-nearly-1752495562[quote=“kotaku”]
The man in charge of the regional Rockstar studio long credited with handling the bulk of development for the Grand Theft Auto games is no longer at the company, Rockstar confirmed to Kotaku today. The company said Rockstar North studio head Leslie Benzies had been on sabbatical for the past 17 months.

Rockstar North has had a less GTA-centric role in the past decade, as they and other regional Rockstar studios have been credited with sharing the work on the company’s major games, including the seemingly all-hands-on-deck 2013 GTA V.
[/quote]

:astonished:

Was not expecting this.

[quote]Famitsu: "So, why do you think Mr Kojima used moby dick references in MGSV? "

Kenji Yano: To tell the truth, Mr Kojima had already told me his ideas about MGSV in 2011. At that point, all the themes were already in his mind. Phantom Pain, vocal cord parasites, race and revenge, and of course, Moby Dick too.

But at this point, Ishmael was Huey. Snake was Ahab and Diamond Dogs were fighting with America. Huey was sided with America, and the story was supposed to be told from him, from America’s view of justice.The reason the role of Ishmael changed from Huey to BIGBOSS will be revealed later.[/quote]

1 Like

What the hell that actually makes me want to play that.

Gamestop is officially fucked

http://news.yahoo.com/amazon-prime-now-offers-20-220725034.html

1 Like

Well, Best Buy has been doing their Gamers’ Club thing for years and that’s 20% all the time, even on sale prices instead of just pre-orders and a 2-week post-release window and Gamestop weathered that

I must have a different view of things because I’m literally a 3-minute walk away from a Gamestop and it’s more satisfying to get up on a day when a game comes out and walk over before lunch and have a new game. And not having Prime at the moment.

I think Amazon will be a different beast to contend with considering Prime offers you much more than Best Buy can, and it’s not like Best Buy is a place that people really go to pick up new games anyway.

Like you, I do enjoy the occasional trip to a brick and mortar store but at the end of the day I am not made of money and I would feel guilty knowing I could get a new game about 12 bucks cheaper if I just wait a day or two.

1 Like