Your song of the moment (Part 1)

touming magazine rules

love this live recording from 2012. so fun~~!

1 Like
4 Likes

Big Mood w/ Los Campesinos!

6 Likes

LC!4LYF

1 Like

how do you embed bandcamp tracks in discourse?

this whole compilation is full of '08 indie cover songs its very good… blogging will never die #gossipgirl

1 Like

over the past week i listened to this entire album a couple times. it’s very relaxing

charli is the only thing that makes pc music tolerable to me

What does mean “pc music”?

1 Like

the trendy nostalgic music genres 2010-present have consistently failed to engage me in any meaningful way. 99.9% of vaporwave i’ve experienced fails to rise above its sampled source material and fails to offer any discernible “critique” of anything. similarly disappointed in various other -wave genres. pc music struck me as a kind of ur-sincerity which honestly just folds back into being ironic and is obnoxious for that reason. this probably seems crotchety, idk. i try so hard to enjoy newer music but most of it just rings hollow. i can’t find visionary musicians as easily among the more recent artists, but curation means they are trivial to find from a decade or more ago.

that said i do enjoy ariel pink a lot.

trap music is life.

2 Likes

right but what about hannah diamond

1 Like

yeah I never really found pc music any more interesting than the sound design they used - all the rationalizing around its “messages” always ended up in some weird post-poptimist quagmire because music critics couldn’t really handle just enjoying something that contained pop structures

I think charli xcx manages to channel all of the weirdness around the actual sound design of the music into something that can be appreciated outside of a ironic/not-ironic binary. the fact that the track I posted features carly rae jepsen is not a coincidence - carly rae jepsen is probably one of the most earnest mainstream pop stars out there, so having charli xcx wrangle her in for a collaboration makes me think that she knows what she’s doing in a really significant sense

I feel like producers (in the sense of literally producing beats) kind of ran the show in the mid '10s, and the balance is shifting back toward having someone wrangle producers into doing their best work now that anyone can just upload stuff onto soundcloud. like the balance has shifted from music critics being tastemakers to actual musicians being tastemakers because music criticism in its traditional form was much too slow to deal with the explosion of music that got released

1 Like