Your song of the moment (Part 1)

1 Like
3 Likes

Iā€™ve been lacking Shpongle recently. This is great.

1 Like

This song at least, has sort of aā€¦ more-listenable-Mr. Bungle vibe that Iā€™m enjoying

1 Like
1 Like

So tough

2 Likes

I desperately need to understand how she made the low end sound so wide on this without buggering up the phase correlation

Iā€™m pretty sure producers are way more afraid of phasing than they should be. Back in the 60s people didnā€™t give a shit about cancellation and loved studio tricks, so you can hear these wide-panned double tracked basses that sound incredible, and nowadays thatā€™s wrong. Soundcloud teenagers have been working on fatness perception technology for the last ten years. Ponyboy sounds its doing the same trick people are using every time thereā€™s an !!unusually fat!! bass part i.e. distorted mid segments that sound bigger than normal bass, plus heavy delay, leaving the sub alone.

Itā€™s cool as hell to see a pop act sincerely doing the ā€œIā€™m using ableton liveā€™s vocoder to make evil alien rockā€ glorpy complex techno that Oneohtrix Point Never was imagining with Garden of Delete. Sure, itā€™s petty songs about boring sex but with a fresher sound tying things I Iike into a more salable, commercialized package without the emotional mystery and resonanceā€¦ okay I just talked myself out of liking Sophie.

2 Likes

You canā€™t dance to OPN tho

In any event multiband delay is a thing Iā€™m going to fuck around with more now apparently

1 Like
1 Like

Maybe you canā€™t!

Admittedly lots just make me want to bob around and weep

Yeah I shouldā€™ve mentioned, that phrase will get you the vsts you want, maybe even ā€œmultiband distortionā€. I think the essence of what youā€™re hearing in the Sophie track is the very cool bitey distortion, which I canā€™t place, and itā€™s particularly giving you ā€œnext levelā€ feeling because the ā€œpony. boy.ā€ vocal sets you up for a pop beat which rarely if ever have such cool distortion, and then what you get is only recognizably pop in its fundamental rhythm. Then you immediately hear the industrial sounding elephant trunk alarms taking the place of snares, also unusual, and if youā€™re watching the video the ā€œIā€™m a pop videoā€ girls dancing interrupted by ā€œIā€™m an industrial pop videoā€ camera shaking with the kicks adds a ton of effect. Now the question is howā€™d she get those kicks. The answer is USUALLY ALWAYS lots and lots of layering, and the trackā€™s structure demonstrates an inventive facility with layering, so i bet itā€™s just that, a combo. You can hear she did a reverb on just the high parts and basically blew something out into a square wave and then made it less prominent so itā€™s not just a full-on gabber kick to the face.

2 Likes
1 Like

https://archive.org/details/attentionkmartshoppers

2 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes