Your song of the moment (Part 1)

1 Like

gay house yell

This is a jam.

2 Likes
1 Like

thx @meauxdal for getting me into future this is great

2 Likes

I just wanna let you know I’ve listened to this like five times and it fuckin bangs

“All of these labels were founded by and are currently headed by men, none of their rosters are more than 36 percent female, and none have signed more than two female rappers. Three don’t have any women signed at all. An even smaller percentage of signees are black women. These are sad truths that expose the rap industry’s inability to consistently provide women with a safe platform to share their art.”

I don’t want to gloat but I hope all of the people who criticized me a few months ago read this. For anyone who doesn’t know what I’m talking about, I suggested rap is misogynist and nearly got banned. It was upsetting.

this golden axe sample is murdering me

yes, that is many entertainment fields and it’s not unique to rap.

The game studio I work at has about 25 women. And about 230 dudes. And guess how many of them are white. And you’d never guess that the most senior woman’s job is HR Director.

And it’s the ubiquity of these injustices that make a focus on the minority-led form such a misleading out for scaremongering white conservatives.

6 Likes

No one is scaremongering, this article exists to hold an industry to the same standards as any other entity. Pitchfork not exactly a site staffed by scaremongering white conservatives with a biased agenda.

Nothing about the music industry owns

uh

I don’t know if I would be so confident about this

pitchfork is kind of the man now

2 Likes

but I really came here to post this

2 Likes

but like, can you just not with this? please?

your singular focus on a genre of music that 1. is predominantly created by PoC and 2. has exploded into a million billion different subgenres around the world is troublesome to me because it smacks of latent racism in service of combating misogyny. and like, we know that hip hop has problems with misogyny just as any other genre of music has problems with misogyny

it’s almost as though misogyny exists independently of a style of art and we can focus on dealing with the misogynist part of it as opposed to implying that a form is inherently misogynistic

like, there are all sorts of issues with that approach that you’re ignoring because you’re cherry picking examples

7 Likes

dance music is having all sorts of problems with cis white male DJs dominating festival lineups right now but it would be extremely dumb of me to imply that dance music as a form is inherently racist and homophobic because its literal roots were in LGBT communities and communities of color

it is in fact this precise act of removing context that creates what the current situation is today

7 Likes

surely