Your song of the moment (Part 1)

haha i mean, he did teach at goldsmiths and said cafe wasn’t far from there. i don’t think he was a regular lecturer by the time i was eating those sandwiches though

1 Like

It would be very funny if that cafe playing Ghosts over and over again was actually the inspiration to him. That can be headcanon, sure.

2 Likes

this album owns

1 Like

It is so wild to me that “Ghosts” was a chart topping single. What was happening in England in 1982?

1 Like

I just assume it’s always like that over there

2 Likes

I love this album a lot! idk if there’s any non-orientalist read of it, so I guess that makes it a problematic fave. David Sylvian’s first solo album and the Ryuichi Sakamoto collaborations also rule, imo. the collaborations w holger czukay from can are also kinda cool? but Mick Karn’s bass playing is such a huge part of what makes Japan good. he’s done a lot of studio work but the only thing I can remember right now is that he’s on the kate bush song heads we’re dancing, which rules.

2 Likes

Woah, I did not realize that was Karn on Heads We’re Dancing! But now that you point it out, it’s so clear. He’s definitely the best part of that song. Also very funny to bring it up while talking about problematic faves, since it’s literally a song about accidentally dancing with Hitler at a dinner party. The ultimate party foul!

1 Like

google putting the Konami code on their controller got me onto a moldy peaches kick

I love this album, I was so mad when they used it in Juno. that’s why I had to marry a gen Xer

1 Like
2 Likes

feelin this hard

it’s an french-asian person trying to create a weird super-oriental sound in this release, like an asia that exists only in the minds of the west

it sounds a lot like a video game

like that snare sound that he’s throwing in as an accent every once in a while might as well be sampled from a beat em up

2 Likes

great news!

4 Likes
3 Likes

Karn is why I’m building a fretless bass atm

1 Like

I think about this song all the time.

This whole soundtrack had power, to me, but there was something about this track that always felt… I don’t know what the word is. Like a combination of pensive and apprehensive.

Apprepensive?

2 Likes

and this one has haunted my life for almost 20 years

it is unguarded too

1 Like

Not sure why it popped into my head this morning, but it’s been there ever since

5 Likes

what the hell are you doing to the Youtube recommendations i get on this device:

1 Like

Happy 20th birthday to maybe my favorite album of all time!

The musique concrete style production in this thing is nuts. In this song, they add 2 acoustic guitars to the mix now and then over the course of the song, until there are 10 playing at the end.

The band even let me use a song from this album in the credits of my film for free. They’re super nice people.

5 Likes

this was one of my favorite music videos when i was 15 lol

1 Like