Your Favourite Horror Games and Why

Honorary mention for the Shalebridge Cradle level of Thief: Deadly Shadows. First thing I think I ever played where I actually had to take breaks from the game to let my nerves settle.

A friend of mine who has great taste in horror but doesn’t play that many videogames loves this French indie horror RPG called Off: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_(video_game)

I haven’t played it, but she says it’s really cool.

4 Likes

Yume Nikki!

i think is probably my favorite horror game

5 Likes

that game has badass battle music

I had not put it together but that’s definitely a horror game, at least what i played of it. It’s pretty trippy.

3 Likes

OFF is really cool!
RPG maker horror games are neat.

Hylics is pretty freaky in an unnerving way

Undertale is not really horror for the most part but i will give it an honorable mention for the parts that are. the normal ending Flowey fight is REALLY goddamn scary looking to me

3 Likes

3 Likes

There is one door in Fatal Frame that is boarded up on one side and then tied shut with hair on the other. This is like that can of lightbulbs from Silent Hill 2 that makes me really wonder, who, why?

1 Like

how else are you supposed to keep light bulbs from going stale?

2 Likes

played yume nikki because @sleepysmiles reminded me how much i love it and i saw some @Mokushka’s

oh god i remember this hell maze

6 Likes

World Of Horror has turn-based battles but they’re more in the abstruse WRPG tradition than the Dragon Quest kind, alas.

I’m interested in horror games but feel like I bounce off them for the same reason I do from a lot of horror writing, in that the relentless focus on atmosphere can feel a bit stifling and repetitive if you’re not in the exact right mood for it. The ones that interest me most are those that try to go in the other direction and play with the ways tonal uncertainty can itself feel uncanny - Illbleed, Gregory Horror Show, I guess Monster Party in a way? The camp horror pastiche of Zombies Ate My Neighbours always felt more upsetting to me on some level than “real” horror games in that it doesn’t even acknowledge the nightmare universe that it’s depicting.

This is also something the original Five Nights At Freddies was good at, in that those voice messages your co-worker left you were all really funny!! Like, kind of acknowledging and circling around the basic absurdity of the situation at the same time, in a way I found much more effective than if it had been played in a more conventionally scary way (static, screaming, having a smug daddy dom type dude trying to psyche you out - heh heh heh, welcome to my twisted game…). It’s really funny to me that there’s now a whole subgenre of indie horror games which are just about working menial jobs while trying to avoid being murdered. And everyone sort of acknowledges it, but well, what can ya do…?

Favourite horror game is Halloween Night II which is a really condensed example of something cute and goofy that still carries some kind of weird charge just because it doesn’t give you emotional prompts to respond to what’s going on https://youtu.be/gy6XUYRKLMc?t=20
Scariest game to me is The Tickle People which is just a goofy FPS but has such a deeply unpleasant vibe to it, it’s what videogames turn into in your dreams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qRr1lsCs3Y

7 Likes

Have you played Bad Day on the Midway? It’s an official The Residents video game and it certainly nails ‘horror through tonal uncertainty’ that you’re talking about.

2 Likes

Yeah! Puppet Motel and Gadget: Past as Future give me the same feeling as well honestly.

It’s funny how many artgames resemble horror ones, at a point when horror games are kind of carrying the torch on all the things I originally enjoyed about artgames - noise, abstraction, uncertainty, overgrown UIs, foregrounding the material, hyperspecific and unglamorous settings, etc. The Haunted PS1 Demo collection was a mixed bag but I did get a kick out of how many “experimental game” type signifiers could turn up without comment in this new context.

1 Like

I have not forgotten you!
I just need some time to think about the game (it’s been one year and half ago) and write something proper.

In the meantime, this article is quite nice:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nanashi-no-game/

Although I would like to add some lines regarding my personal experience.

1 Like

Both interesting advices, and off the beaten path. Isn’t the first one, Silent Debuggers, playing like a sort of Dungeon Master or Ultima Underworld?

This thread rules! Is gone sweet home good enough to play even today? I acquired the english patched ROM.

1 Like

do you mean sweet home? if so then yes, though a guide may be useful

2 Likes

I have no patience for horror games where you aren’t able to defeat the darkness. Guns, cameras, at least a Brita filter jug full of holy water. Can not stand the Hide/Run genre at all. Wish they’d make a version of Alien Isolation with some other opponent, because I love the art design outside of the gameplay.

The one game I can think of that is exactly on one side of the line, but with its toes touching the paint, is System Shock 2. In that game fighting is a Very Bad Idea, but it still works.

1 Like

What are some of your favorite enemies/rooms/cutscenes/sounds from a scary game? I just launched Fatal Frame 2 to compare to the first game and, boy, is this cutscene good and scary or what!

2 Likes

cloth-5 cloth-6

10 Likes

There is That One Moment in Silent Hill 3.

I want to be cagey about the details because, described simply, there isn’t really anything all that scary about the event that occurs. Taken in the abstract, it’s a little weird, a little creepy, but simply reading a description of the moment or watching it in a YouTube video completely undercuts the moment’s effectiveness upon the player.

If I could describe the experience of it: you’re already in an unpleasant, uncomfortable situation, but you find your way into a new room, and though it immediately presents you with a problem, it seems to at least be a break from the horror. You are instead faced with uncertainty, and with distraction. There is nothing you can do: you are trapped. Are you? You are trapped. The uncertainty and the distraction build, and tension is rising, and you are trapped, but at least there is no danger, there is only uncertainty, and distraction, and tension, and ALARM, and uncertainty, and ALARM, AND PANIC, AND DANGER—

It is a very effective moment. It is very well-paced.

6 Likes