You Can't Buy Time

I’ve been on the verge of selling a bunch of my old games a few times in recent years, but each time I look through them I instead buy a few new things. Most recently, I picked up

• A “backup” NES in case the one I have left dies one day and they become harder to find at a reasonable price.
  • Some PS2 accessories, including one of those Logitech wireless controllers I used to have. Batteries are included, and these batteries looked like they’d been in a snowstorm. But the controller works great and I’ve been using it to play Dragon Quest 5.

I don’t have a backlog that’s documented in any way, but there are a bunch of games that, whenever I think about them, I feel a sort of obligation to finish (or in some cases start) one day. I always have this vague vision of being between jobs or old and retired and having more time to play (and make) games, but that may never happen.

One thing I rarely allow myself to do is replay a game, rewatch a movie, or reread a book (especially the latter). Sometimes I feel inclined to, but I usually talk myself into starting something new instead because there are only so many things I will have a chance to experience and I don’t want to miss something worthwhile. Sometimes that’s the right choice and I do find something good. But other times I would have been better off revisiting a favorite.

10 Likes