Xanathar's Guide to Cleavin' a Goblin Clean in Twain (feat. D&D)

Something something sb West Marches sb campaign

Yeah with more players you can afford to have some people sit out a session or two and the campaign’s not stuck waiting. Tho finding players who can host 10 is the new challenge.

From what I’ve seen, 7 is about the maximum number of players a DM can reliably manage. Beyond that, it is a constant exercise in the DM making sure people don’t talk over each other, making sure the game does not get hopelessly lost on tangents only relevant to two or three players, parsing who is doing what action when, etc. It’s doable, it’s just not ideal or desirable.

These are also games that get people excited, which makes them a little more difficult to manage.

1 Like

Anything over 6 players I want to split into two groups

Edit: have them explore in opposite ends of a shared campaign world and do a marvel team up at the end

3 Likes

@gary Please change your name within just this thread to “Gary Gygax Dwarfism”

1 Like

@toups make it so css master

5 Likes

Only because you asked nice

5 Likes

Holy shit how in the nine hells did you do that

2 Likes

I’m the css master baby

1 Like

but if you must know:

#topic[data-topic-id="7741"] .first.username a[data-user-card="gary"] {
   text-transform: capitalize;
}

#topic[data-topic-id="7741"] .first.username a[data-user-card="gary"]:after {
   content: ' gygax dwarfism';
}
1 Like

kind of hacky and will break if @gary ever changes their username or if this topic gets split and assigned a new topic ID but I’m mostly just glad to use the :after pseudo-element for its intended purpose

1 Like

it’s a little more involved but it’s also possible to completely change someone’s username for a given topic just using CSS

it would be a shame if someone were to abuse that

9 Likes

how do i get the editor open to begin with

asking for a friend

1 Like
2 Likes

Wow I breezed through this, was impressed by it’s completeness but sleeved by Wendy’s as a corporation, and had no idea it involved fascism and destroying the UN.

I found another reason why i don’t like 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons - Ability Score increases.

These were introduced in 3rd Edition i think, but in that edition you got a one point increase every 4 levels. Giving characters 2 point increases, combined with scores being limited to 20, means quite a few characters will reach the limit between levels 5 - 10. This is especially bad for fighters as they get extra ability score increases. So characters max out their favourite ability score quite quickly and it makes characters feel more similar.

I’ve been playing a character who rolled an 18 strength and whilst he started out as the world’s strongest man, by 6th level quite a few other fighters are as strong as him, which feels weird.

I’m not really sure why ability scores increases exist.

2 Likes

The More Numbers Go Up The Better You Feel

Then You’ll Have Beans At Every Meal

4 Likes

alternately ignore stat bumps and focus on the weirdest, most specific feats you can justify to yourself?

4 Likes

D&D 5e assumes that what makes your character distinct is going to be more than just the raw numbers. The numbers are just the necessary grist to make the system work.

Numbers are almost always the least interesting part of your character with the kind of range we’re talking about here. Like, the difference between a +3 and a +4 is a 5% difference. But being able to block a monster from hurting your friends is a much bigger deal, which is an ability.

Plus skills are a pretty chunky difference. Two different characters with the same stats but different skills are going to have pretty significantly unique realms of competency.

So unless everyone is literally making all the same character choices I don’t think that’s a big problem? It’s not like older editions where that’s the only difference between two fighters.

4 Likes

As the resident grognard I have to defend the older editions here. I think the sameyness of fighters is exaggerated. For one, 1st edition does have weapon proficiencies and specialization, so that is one differentiator. Also don’t underestimate the degree to which a character’s magical items influences their play style. In my experience those are the most important tools to non-magical character classes. Additionally, 1st edition has a number of combat maneuvers that any character can perform that have tactical uses, like charging, withdrawing, disarm attempts(with certain weapons), and grappling.

And finally, in some ways less specificity in terms of game-defined skills and abilities can increase rather than decrease role-playing opportunities. At least, that has been my experience.

2 Likes