Which play re:(station1)?

Watching again, it’s still wild how much Zenogais’ intro didn’t only signal something more sci-fi mecha, but a story hella darker than most FF and jrpg fare…tended to be. We know some of FF7’s similarities weren’t just coincidence, since this outline was proposed first.

Book of Revelations quoting is mild yet stately enough to start with, ominous. And a threat of humanity’s ark being dismantled from within, and before scenes like the captain’s resolve, you have the dangling phone, dropping to the floor in a dark hall of snaking wires, the “You Shall Be as Gods” flooding their displays, escape ships being shot down by the mother ship’s own weaponry.

Even now it stirs me back to a really alienating but impressive sense of “I won’t know what that was about for at least a few dozen hours”

This trailer did not have me ready.

That mix and especially second half of the song is also nowhere in game materials, probably just some quick edit but now I want to find out.

Definitely doing the UNDUB 2.0, curious about what would be “better” cleaned up translation and the English VA is…too ruff

3 Likes