which dragon quest has the most personality

This thread reminds me of something I have not thought about in a while. One thing I appreciated about early console RPGs such as the NES Dragon Warrior titles is specifically the lack of personality. Of the characters, that is, and not of the games themselves.

I played through Dragon Warrior 3 more than once. Each time, I would delete the default characters with given names and replace them with my own so that they would be total blank slates. Even if I chose the same classes as the defaults. I sometimes made up simple stories in my mind to go along with the characters as I played.

Dragon Warrior 4 had characters with slightly more developed backgrounds, but their personalities were still expressed vaguely and I was fine with them.

The first time I played Final Fantasy 7, I couldnā€™t stand it. I was impressed by the music and some of the art, but I didnā€™t like the way the characters had distinct personalities and talked a lot. (I also did not like early polygon graphics at the time, though I now see that sort of thing as charming.) I think I started that game three times over several years, leaving Midgar and finishing the game only on the third attempt. Eventually, the game totally won me over.

Although Iā€™m more accustomed to video game characters having pre-packaged personalities now (and I guess I never had a problem with it when the writing was decent, as in something like Torment), I think I still generally prefer it when they are presented as only basic outlines and donā€™t talk much.

1 Like

when Lego sets started introducing flavored heads I would give them to my brother in exchange for more generic smiley heads; I didnā€™t want other personality intruding on my space transit system

1 Like

Oh, I refused to use those Lego heads as well. And before that, it bothered me when they started introducing pieces that seemed a little too specialized and themed. I saw that as lazy design and something that would discourage creativity.

1 Like

Yeah, that blankness in older games is part of the appeal of older games to me. Lack of characteristic, both in terms of writing and visual, makes a sort of ā€œnegative spaceā€ I think? And as a kid you can fill that space with a lot, even subconsciously. Old RPGs with visually minimalist combat sequences are easy pickings for a kidā€™s imagination.

Supposedly this is the perspective of the Lego Movie. More specifically that explicitly themed sets are counter-intuitive to the spirit of Lego. I havenā€™t yet watched it myself, but I was reminded of it and also can never stop talking!

2 Likes

Iā€™m repeating myself, but

Proteus is my favorite game to fall asleep to. A full-surrounding world (3D matters here) but seen through abstract eyes stimulates connections to worlds half-pictured in dreams, memories, and books.

Fruitful void

1 Like

Taste the abyss.

1 Like