which dragon quest has the most personality

How did Dragon Quest 8 come out after Final Fantasy X which had an item that let you walk around without getting into random battles and not include that when the devs clearly wanted you to admire its world

the threeds version of 8 is supposedly uglier and slower than the ps2 version (which i own & cherish). im going to buy it anyway b/c all that game really needed was symbol encounters.

Anyway, i didnt really read the thread, we all agreed it was 8 right? Its 8. everyone says 5 and 5 is tbf really great, but 8 is the only one that is a full voiced 3D colorful Toriyama-ass Dragon Quest. i might not be able to skip the many repetitive enemy attack/spell animations, but ill be damned if every one of them isnt loaded for bear with personality.

i tried to say it was 8 but 95% of responses were 5

1 Like

8 without random battles is extremely persuasive

5 is the most gentle, thought-provoking and literal coming-of-age tale in jrpgs. It has many fine moments of personality, lets you equip tiny cute monsters with spears and have them battle for you, and is flawlessly paced.

8 has Yangus, though, so

1 Like

Itā€™s 8. I think it has the best soundtrack of the entire series. My favourite track:

1 Like

While i would have been A-OK with the classic menus and even no voices (though i really, really dig the voices), the orchestral soundtrack in the western release was such a worthy get
Doesnā€™t quite mesh but it adds a lot

i mean, i agree. when i say ā€œnothingā€ i really mean an asymptote approaching zero. this is also a relative term. iā€™ve put 200-300 hours into ufo defense. iā€™ve put 0 into tens of thousands of other games. which ones have more still to teach me?

further, what i get from ufo defense is not even of the same character as i get from playing [game i have not played]. when i play ufo defense, i learn more about myself. which is great! but iā€™m not increasing my knowledge of gaming history or taking in mechanics iā€™ve yet to experience.

i really donā€™t think we disagree about any of this, but youā€™re taking my flippant colloquialisms as the firmament of my philosophical approach, or something. idk. but the points youā€™re making are not in any way opposed to my actual viewpoint. perhaps this is just a failure of communication.

1 Like

Dragon Quest 1 for Game Boy Color is really cool because the overworld music takes ridiculously long to properly loop (around 2 whole minutes) and unless you stand still and idle you will never hear the majority of it through normal gameplay because it resets after every random encounter. That is, until the very end of the game when you have beaten the final boss and you get the walk through the beautiful world free from monsters you have saved all while the complete piece can finally play.

When you finally do get back to the castle where you started the king offers you his kingdom but for the first time in the game your character takes control away from you at this choice and speaks on his own wishing to instead to find his own land and leaves with the princess (who is actually optional to save and even alters the ending slightly if you donā€™t. Also, after you save her at the halfway point through the game youā€™re meant to carry her back to the castle and thereā€™s a unique sprite for yourself while you do. This is also optional though and you can actually finish the entire game with her clinging to your side and again, there is some additional dialogue during the ending that acknowledges it) DQ1 is real neat for being the very first.

4 Likes

8ā€™s slow ass battles really threw off the pleasantness of DQ for me. It is really pretty though, and they did a good job of not letting the Level 5 nonsense get too out of hand.

2 Likes

i do think itā€™s 8 too, in the end. maybe 5 is sort of better, but 8 is so colorful and rollicking and lush

i just realized i have pretty much only heard bad things about the 3ds version of 8 and i am sitting here hype for it to arrive, assuming that everything iā€™ve read is obviously wrong

like, itā€™s 8 with new stuff? it must be great? iā€™d prefer it be on my ps4 instead, sure, but

1 Like

yeah, it looks so good emulated! i guess i did mean iā€™d like to play the new version with the new stuff on my ps4, though

hmmm, in my experience SE has never been able to justify new stuff tacked onto already-overstuffed RPGs, especially since the original creative team is vanished.

Excepting new translations and grind reductions, though, those are nice.

1 Like

itā€™s funny, ā€œdragon questā€ and ā€œsquare-enixā€ are kept very separate in my head

i donā€™t know anything about where dqviiiā€™s creative team is, but there are many dq remakes and i think pretty much all of them so far have been great/interesting, and this is another one!

1 Like

hey, good luck to ya

yeah actually DQ has the highest better-than-original/remake ratio of any series i can think of

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t the DQ8 rerelease let you see monsters on the field/in dungeons ahead of time? If so, thatā€™s an enormous improvement. Find it hard to believe anything else would make it worse than the original then.

3 Likes

final fantasy remakes are rarely worth it dragon quest remakes usually are worrth it

1 Like

god the ff remakes are all shit, arenā€™t they? if FF7 is at least an interesting trainwreck itā€™ll probably be the best one

though i suppose the FFX/2 HD thing is quite nice for PS4. the colors are great

1 Like