What're you readin'

I learned how to use a computer because my mom got an illegal DOS-based autodialer from a woman she knew at church who was in a multilevel marketing scheme and my mom couldn’t remember how to do what she’d been told to do with it

so I think I’m kind of stuck with postmodernism here

I started reading Peace by Gene Wolfe and I am struggling a bit with the odd diction and the way things jump around so far but it seems rather interesting so far.

been feeling utterly atomised, more than usual, with winter coming on, so returned to ferrante’s neapolitan books. stormed through 2 and onto 3

theyre v good

master of the mysteries: the life of manly palmer hall
it’s a little sensationalist but it’s the only book i could
find on the subject that didn’t seem shady

i honestly am pushing through it so i can finally get to
the book of martyrdom and artifice
hopefully i’ll actually finish both

I mean generic Gene Wolfe advice, just be ready to read it twice.

I just started on Gene Wolfe’s Shadow of the Torturer and it’s the most Tulpa thing I’ve ever read.

1 Like

yeah I quit after 50 pages, proving that torment marinara does have value if you can’t stand the source material

that is an intensely Felix comment

I’d approach Book of the New Sun as a texture read; enjoy each sentence and drift along the fragmented plot without worrying about putting it together. Pay attention to the emotional reads you get on the chapa[pso9

sorry, the fire alarm just buzzed in the office

once

…emotional reads you get on the characters; let those suspicions tumble around. Then read it again a month later.

5 Likes

I think your terminal colours are gonna be messed up now

To be clear, I actually am enjoying the book so far. The writing has this annoyingly pompous and obscurantist quality to it (e.g. referring to water lilies exclusively as “nenuphars.” Come on, dude!). He’s extremely particular and fastidious about building a certain atmosphere and he has no interest in meeting the reader halfway. But there actually is an evocative beauty to the prose. Wolfe seems like kind of a pain in the ass, but he’s not writing checks he can’t cash.

So yeah, tentative recommendation so far but we’ll see how I feel when I get beyond chapter 3.

1 Like

you’re starting to realize Wolfe was really born under the astrological sign of the Shrug

it’s the new yorker fiction issue this week!!!

1 Like

Protip: he is often doing this because they are not water lilies.

3 Likes

The first book’s appendix on “translation” is a useful guide to what he’s doing + a sign that Wolfe’s not nearly as self-serious as Severian.

the tulpa/shrug venn diagram overlaps quite a bit

4 Likes

This is spelled out in the appendix to shadow of the torturer and its well worth reading over that to get a sense of one of the things Wolfe is doing in the writing. FWIW, Wolfe is one of the few writers I can think of who pulls off the ‘obscurantist language for atmosphere’ trick, both because he uses that language very well and because there is a greater purpose to it than just style.

There’s a pair of cliches in sci fi writing, “Call a Rabbit a Smeerp” and “Call a Smeerp a Rabbit”. They’re pretty self explanatory. Gene Wolfe’s cleverness in Book of the New Sun is that he makes you think he’s calling a Rabbit a Smeerp when he’s actually calling a Smeerp a Smeerp and any references to rabbits are just there to help you imagine what it is he’s actually describing.

7 Likes

Autokaufen

this kind of take makes me think that we are mutually alien to each other as far as writing taste goes

oh yeah for sure

if you’re asking me to accept that much artifice without a single sex scene I’m out

if you wanted sex scenes, I could’ve told you to keep reading

Severian fucks his way across fantasy south america

1 Like