What're you readin'

@Hawkmoon Since I am a person who read Moorcock at 15 and Zelazny at 25, you did things in the right order. They’re both kind of ideal ‘literature for 15 year olds’ but there’s more to get out of Moorcock as an adult than there is Zelazny.

That’s really surprising. But I guess I can see your point because as a 15 your old reading Zelazny I thought I was better than everybody else for it

read Jerry Cornelius @15 imo

Oh, I guess I know why one of my high school teachers gave me Hyperion after I ranted about Catholic church analogues in Dune at him for 20 minutes (as an oral book report). I never really got past the intro as a kid, but I’ll pick it up the next time I’m home.

The first set of books is great

The second set isn’t nearly as good though

Moorcock is just nice times for me when I want some escapism. Also I’ve slowly been acquiring (whenever I find them) used copies of the White Wolf Moorcock books from the 90s just because they are hilarious.

I just started coming across those and getting them! They are pretty hilarious but also kind of nice and should help simplify collecting

Yeah, they are nice for the contents all being in one place and organized, even if the covers are generally hilarious and the internal graphic design is incredibly 90s White Wolf.

But would you really want a Moorcock book with a non-hilarious cover?

Still trying very slowly to get through The Dark Forest, the second part of the three body trilogy. Don’t have a lot of time to read for fun these days. I can’t tell if it’s worse than the first one or better, but it is definitely weirder, less sciency and more fiction? There have not been as many cool weird ideas in this one, but it is a book about the world preparing for an alien invasion that they know will happen in 400 years. It’s kind of a cool premise, but the characters are not as interesting as the first one. The protagonist is also kind of insufferable, but at times also reads like an obvious author insert so I assume he will redeem himself eventually.

Nope, not at all, and the dorky White Wolf covers easily surpass the mall-goth tendencies of the recent Elric series.

1 Like

And the new Titan releases are striving for too much credibility or respectability

I fished that a couple months ago, and I think I like it better than the first because the author is really just throwing out every idea he has that he couldn’t make a full book about. There’s a lot of fun stuff going on.

They’re not the best Moorcock covers, tho

These are

Because there has never been an artist better suited to Moorcock’s books than Yoshitaka Amano

5 Likes

Did you see the recent French Elric comics?

I haven’t! I haven’t really read any Elric stuff since I was a teen but I suppose now is as good a time as any to revisit

They are gorgeous and Moorcock says they capture the feel of his work better than any previous adaptation. Check out the preview pages on here

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Moorcocks-Elric-Vol-Throne/dp/1782761241

1 Like

few days ago i read stephen crane’s “the blue hotel”. it was good! nice, economic descriptions. almost dream-like, in a few ways.

finished reading agota kristof’s “yesterday”, too. i’m not entirely sure if i like it or not. i guess it’s such an interesting work of nonsensical segments put together i can’t help but feel mezmerized by it; specially when i had already flirted with the idea of writing novellas structured in a similar way. unfortunately though i read it not long after reading the stranger so i kept thinking about how the two protagonists on those stories are similar (and how they are not).

will start dino buzzati’s “in that precise moment” any day now~

So I just finished reading this and I really enjoyed it. Probably going to tuck into a bunch of Haggard’s other stuff now.

Just finished reading Planetfall, excellent piece of sci-fi that sort of falls into the “mysterious thing in space” category.

I’ve just started on The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2015, though I’m probably going to read something else alongside it, not sure what yet, maybe Declare by Tim Powers.