What're you readin'

I’m about 80 pages deep after a month. I thought my steady diet of purple 19th century prose would inure me to anything but I can’t do it, my attention span has just eroded too greatly. If I try to read it in bed, I fall asleep. If I try to read it earlier in the day, I start skimming paragraphs. I can’t even focus on reading this abridged summary: http://www.ottosell.de/pynchon/rainbow.htm

@boojiboy7 I lie defeated at the feet of Important Literature. Tell me what I should have taken away from this, were I not a complete boob.

I need trashy genre fiction to give me succor.

I crashed out my first attempt on Gravity’s Rainbow, Moby Dick, Infinite Jest, succeeded my second attempt.

In all cases the lesson was to enjoy the prose in the moment and let understanding/plot come later. Particularly in the modern novels you just have to roll with it until you understand so you’ve got to figure out how to have fun those first hours and just really really drinking in those words is the way for me.

If they weren’t such good prose stylists it’d be harder entirely.

3 Likes

OK, so a couple things: the first section is sorta setting the stage for things, introducing everyone and all the basic ideas. At the point you are at, there is something weird about Slothrop’s sexual encounters and the bombing locations for the V2. Also it should sorta start becoming apparent, but almost everyone in the book has some kind of (mostly useless) superpower, except Roger Mexico, whose power is no power/statistics.

Did you get to the part where Slothrop gets drugged and hallucinates his time when he knew the Kennedys and met young Malcolm X (the Kenosha Kid section)? That is a Thing.

The basic thesis (sorta) of the book is that World War 2, and specifically the Nazi rocket program, are a moment of huge impact on almost all parts of modern culture, specifically in America, but even outside of it, but that doesn’t begin to cover it all.

The other secret is that Thomas Pynchon really loves trashy genre fiction too. And so called “low culture” and so on. And bad jokes. And dad puns.

I should just reread this myself.

1 Like

Yes, this above all. This is the way to read Ulysses as well.

http://ebookclub.tor.com/

Tor set up an ebook club that will send you a free ebook every month. The first month is Cixin Liu’s The Three-Body Problem. I haven’t read it, but people around here have talked it up before. I think @u_u had concrete opinions on it?

1 Like

It’s decent. “Hard” scifi, but contextualized around the Cultural Revolution. Characters are fairly stock, but it works pretty well on the strength of its ideas. I’m looking forward to the last book of the trilogy in a few months, which it’s apparently most famous for.

1 Like

I agree w this, for the most part. Definitely worth reading, but the writing itself is a little dry

I still haven’t finished the second book, because I am horrible at leisure reading.

But I have heard from others that he second is the best and the third is the worst?

Luckily part one is pretty self contained

The first and second book are… rather different, obviously in the same genre and sharing certain common elements but going in rather different directions. They are both definitely more of idea books than character ones, I’d second that. I enjoyed it so put me in the yay camp.

READY TO BITE INTO THIS BAD BOY

SO HYPE!

!!!

!!!11

are there any good like
ruminations on the occult / maybe mixed with some philosophy that I should check out? I love how early occult stuff was kind of an answer to societies and cultures of their time so

my vague memory (from an Economist review, maybe?) is that the publisher signed the author on for a trilogy but had given up on making any money by the third book, so they just let him do whatever he wanted. so of course that is the book that made the trilogy a success

I read the first three books of the Riverworld series by Philip José Farmer. I picked up the Riverworld and Other Stories anthology and uh J.C. on the Dude Ranch quite destroyed my expectations. The Riverworld story from the collection was fine, so I figured that more of the same couldn’t be too bad.

The first book, To Your Scattered Bodies Go, was also fine. It was an adventure story, following Sir Richard Burton’s attempt to get to the mouth of the series’ titular river, in a world where a bamboo pick is the most sophisticated tool, and everyone has easy access to strong psychedelics.

The Fabulous Riverboat was not fine. It steampunked it up, basically so that Samuel Clemens could be a viable character to write about. At least it was short!

The third book, The Dark Design, was bad. I have an edition with an introduction which says:

so I bet you’re looking forward to the final book in the series! Well (heh) there’s actually at least one more book to go b/c I Mary Sue’d so much that the manuscript is unpublishable as a single volume! Stay tuned for the next great installment

The plotting and pacing are atrocious: the first part of the book is about Burton, who sits with his crew on an island. They go nowhere, at length. They get a bit suspicious of this Mary Sue guy, then the book stops mentioning them. There’s a short interlude on Mary Sue’s backstory, and then the book switches to Clemens: his technology’s advanced from wood age to radar, radio, and closed-circuit TVs. They send up a dirigible with Mary Sue aboard and fly around.

For whatever reason, Farmer is compelled to report all measurements in imperial and metric. So blimps fly at 9144m altitude, people estimate some mountains’ height as 3048m, etc.

The next giant 2nd-hand book sale is in a few weeks, I won’t be looking for the last two volumes in the series.

Farmer is an odd one because he wrote so much stuff that is just weird and grotesque sex stuff, and then Riverworld which just seems like the most generic gee-whiz science fantasy fanfiction premise ever

I’ve only read a handful of things by him, but I liked The Stone God Awakens the best, it is kind of like a proto-furry love story

I’ve just finished reading The Sword of Welleran which was a pretty cool little story.

Baron Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett Dunssany has too many names but perhaps may have other good tales up his sleeve, I will see.

He has endless good stories up his sleeve

Gosh you say that like his weird and grotesque sex stuff isn’t some of his best!

very occasionally

I recall NIGHT OF LIGHT having a few interesting ideas that weren’t lost in the noise.

He was just one of those guys that was writing fast for cheap and couldn’t always wait for good ideas and non-tedious executions to come to him OK

you mean he was a new wave sf writer?

Michael Moorcock and Roger Zelazny are the two I think of as being particularly notorious for writing very fast and often squandering their substantial talents on stories written only to pay the rent. Zelazny never even bothered writing anything of substance after he got hooked on turning writing into a paying job. At least Moorcock still put in effort sometimes.

I love how many sf paperbacks are structured like rushed high school papers.

They start all hyper-detailed and thorough but then 2/3-3/4 through they realize their word count is coming up and they need to jam as much content/plot as possible into too small a space so its just summarysummarysummaryCONCLUSION!

1 Like

Sometimes when they run out of well thought ideas they get really clever by accident. I mean, Elric is probably the best example of great rushed endings from middling-but-thorough beginnings