what megaman game should i play first

5 Likes

I definitely like stage select!

I do feel like another problem with boss weaknesses is it makes you feel like you always have to conserve all of your special weapon ammo for the boss and not so much get to play around and enjoy your new toys in the levels themselves.

1 Like

This might be why a lot of the bosses go down in like 3-5 hits to whatever weapon theyā€™re weak to. You can waltz in half-empty and still kill 'em

1 Like

When you get really good at your favorite Mega Man game you literally do whatever you want spamming Metal Slicers or Snakes or Punch Knuckles and become the truest Robot Master

1 Like

i like this topic so i split it, such is my power

feel free to change the thread title. i was gonna do sucks or does it but that would be unfair because i think im the only person who doesnā€™t like megaman

2 Likes

8 is the best, it sets out to wow you

3 Likes

i would play at least enough of 1 to realize that itā€™s a pretty different game than the later games in the series, then 2 + 3. if you are not bored of the formula yet 4 is actually not bad.

after that thereā€™s really no particularly good reason to not just go to megaman x, but if you are vibing 5 + 6 are like marginally interesting level packs. the additions they make are mostly stupid.

7 is pretty much just bad imo, but it looks kind of cute

8 looks amazing and is very weird to play, but is kind of an interesting alternate history of the series. part of me is still upset that 9 + 10 are not increasingly lush playable cartoons but no one likes what i like so i deal with it

x1 - 3 are all great, but 2 and 3 stick to the x1 formula even more than 5 +6 stick to 4. i guess if it ainā€™t broke or whatever

all the other mega man x games are bizarre trash, real fans only type shit imo

i havenā€™t played the others

8 Likes

Someone please discuss & Bass

Also ZX 0 or whatever. The GBA games that are ported to PS4/PC/etc

Hey, remember how Mega Man 11 came out only a bit over a year ago? Me neither.

2 Likes

i gotta check out battle network sometime

2 Likes

battle network has an amazing battle system and i have seen like 3-4 indie games in development over the past few years with the exact same battle system and probably better writing

i forgot to keep up on all of them though i should go do that

3 Likes

tim also is a mega manhater!

thread takes me back to when a friend and I couch co-oped every mega man game from 1 to 6, then x1 to x4 on the PS2 collections. then we got to X5 and it was just like, what even is this crap. and that was that.

beating the yellow shapeshifting block monster at the end of MM1 is probably one of my best gaming accomplishments. I dunno if I could do it again.

MM4 was one of the first games I ever played as a little kid. it was magical to me then and still invokes a deep nostalgia, so itā€™s still my favorite, along with X1.

MM2 has the best music and is probably the best NES game overall but the Metal slicer completely breaks the game in a way none of the other games do.

so I would say play 2, and if you are seriously down with it, play 3 and 4. depending on how much MM you need, keep going with 5, 6 and 9 and 10, and also 1 as a sort of historical curiosity. ignore 7 & 8, as I have always done.

then play X. if you find you donā€™t enjoy the NES mechanics, just skip to X1. itā€™s way more of a cool modern action game with the expanded moveset.

2 Likes

thereā€™s some good stuff in those games but itā€™s part of The American Childhood so you do get enough 38 year old americans in cargo shorts crying over the theme that ā€˜megaman sucksā€™ is a totally valid conclusion

i liked Mega Man 11! itā€™s not remarkable, but itā€™s nice.

i donā€™t really care for & Bass. itā€™s a really weird game thatā€™s super unbalanced and extremely difficult. it uses all the assets from MM8, though, which is neat. Capcom was sort of doing that during that time period (remember the SNES port of Street Fighter Alpha 2? that wasā€¦something!!).

i think ZX is meh, but MM Zero is great.

the Battle Network series is fun, but really itā€™s its own thing.

None, mega man is bad.

1 Like

what, you got a problem with

5 Likes

Wait, I like battle network

I loved Mega Man Legends so much and I didnā€™t even play it until like 2014 or something.

5 Likes

the cool thing about 6 is a lot of the bosses were designed in some kind of contest, so they have big 8 Year Old OC energy, its like a centaur, a samurai, a knight, and a bunch of barely altered designs from older mega man games

whoa apparently all of the games after 1 had design contests. well, 6 is the only one where itā€¦ really shows, imo

12 Likes

i loved mega man legends too until i did that early part where you have to defend the city or something and i barely finished it with like 1hp remaining and then after the cutscene i spawned back in town and went to cross the street and leave and a truck hit and killed me and i lost like two hours of progress and stopped playing

24 Likes